Q: can a battery belt with a single connector power multiple devices? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 22nd, 2007, 03:49 AM   #1
Major Player

Q: can a battery belt with a single connector power multiple devices?

not sure where to post this, but figure a lot of people use external power sources to power lights. i've been using a cine 60 battery belt with a single 5-pin xlr connector to power an on-camera, 30v ab ultralight dualhead for a little while now. i was wondering if there was any way to share the power draw off the belt with another device, like an external 12v lcd monitor. i was thinking some kind of splitter? i'm not good with engineering at all, so forgive the question if it makes absolutely no technical sense :). i'm just trying to avoid adding a second external power solution to the equation.

any advice is appreciated.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 03:57 AM   #2
Major Player

I could be wrong, but doubt it, but it seems the 30v belt would fry any 12v or lower device.

I do know that this can be done with a 12v belt. I've powered a camera, 12v light & 5" LCD monitor simultaneously before.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:37 AM   #3
Major Player

thanks for that bill.

can i ask what you used to split the power draw off your 12v belt?
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:49 AM   #4
Major Player

Sure, my belt already has 2 4pin XLR outputs & for the 3rd device I just used a Y-splitter. B&H sells the splitter. I'm too lazy to make my own :-\

HTH,
Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 07:19 PM   #5
Trustee

Henry, I hope you aren't planning to try using a splitter with your 30v battery to supply 12v accessories. Mixing voltages is not possible without burning something. I doubt you could even put a resistor in the line to bring it down to 12v. You would need a power transformer and that defeats the purpose. It would be better to standardize everything on 12v if you want to avoid separate power sources. 30v is not as common as 12v, but you would need to buy a new battery and light.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 10:27 PM   #6
Major Player

the word "resistor" escaped me, but that was exactly what i was looking for -- something similar to a car cigarette adapter that draws 12v from the car battery and outputs regulated 9v to, say, a dvd player, or the anton bauer gold plates that draw 14.4v off a battery and output 7.2v to a camera. that said, i think i will probably go to a new, single power solution, along the lines of an anton bauer setup with multiple powertaps. thanks for the help guys.

ahhh... hawaii ;).
Old February 22nd, 2007, 10:42 PM   #7
Trustee

Good idea. I hate to throw money at a problem, but there is likely too much difference between 30v and 12v for a simple resistor. BTW, if you want to save some weight, look into Nickel Metal Hydride NiMH batteries. They have greater energy density and should last longer which helps off-set the cost.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management