Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 18th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #1
Major Player

metal halide and ballast

http://www.progressive-growth.com/pr....php?prod=4010

Has anyone ever tried these for photography use? They claim some of the bulbs are daylight balanced, more or less.
Larry Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #2
Major Player

I haven't tried that particular one but I'm in the middle of experimentation with this for products for my company. I looked over their bulbs and the term daylight balanced is a bit of a misnomer. If the company doesn't list CRI at all its usually pretty low. The will be in the 65 to 75 range many times and that's just too low especially if you're doing film photography which you may be. You can send an email to the company asking about CRI but I doubt they'll even know what it is. It's just not an important spec to plant grow light companies.

As for the ballast, if may be a good deal but they don't even talk about whether its electronic or magnetic. The most important things there to ask are: is it electronic and what is the output frequency. Again, they don't list that because its not important to growlight people. This of course will control whether you see a flicker on your camera or not and possibly will hear a hum or buzz too at lower frequencies.

At the prices listed I doubt it would be interesting for photographic quality light. I've tested some of the grow lights and the light is definitely of a "green" quality. On the other hand, I've found some higher quality ballasts and bulbs that are close to Sylvania HMI specs. I'll be updating my blog with some articles on this soon.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #3
Major Player

mag and electronic ballast

They say the CRI is 90 on the daylight bulbs which are about 5000k

No info on frequency of ballast.
Larry Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 09:48 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Vaughn View Post
They say the CRI is 90 on the daylight bulbs which are about 5000k

No info on frequency of ballast.
Hmm, when I looked I didn't see any CRI info at all. Well if thats true you've got a winner there. And the price is not bad either.

Why not write to ask the frequency on the ballast? Its probably okay if its electronic but it never hurts to ask.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management