DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 27th, 2007, 01:45 AM   #16
New Boot

Hi,

Something else to try... Have candles made with a double wick. i.e. 2 wicks. This works well to increase the natural light level from a practical candle. If that's enough for the "wide shot" then you could add a bit of bounced light (with the correct color gel) for the close up.

On a recent episode of "The 4400" I had an actor in a mine shaft who's "ability" was to create fire with his hands. The FX guys rigged a butane jet to his finger to get real flame and I augmented it with my "scorpion" flashlight (with Full CTO Gel) bounced off some white paper. I just had to quickly shake the flash light to simulate the flame jittering. It worked well!

Simon Hunt
Gaffer
Simon Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 06:36 AM   #17
Wrangler

Another way to fake fire/candelight is to shine the light through a cookie and move it gently back and forth. You can get a similar effect by using a gold reflector.
Old May 28th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I had to do a similar thing a few weeks ago, where some actors had to appear to be looking back at a car they've just torched.
We used a wooden pole with rags tied to the end of it with wire, soaked in parrafin. It was 3 feet away from the actors.

The still picture shows how it looked originally, and the attached WMV clip is a rough idea of what we did with it.

Seemed to work alright . . . .
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: wmv CLEXC111AC.wmv (1,021.2 KB, 161 views)
Old June 1st, 2007, 11:43 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Best candle/fire fake I've ever done:

I have one of those round pop-up reflectors; take it out of the case, but don't unfold it; makes a 1-foot(ish) wide circle of flexy silver. Hold it low, point a 6" fresnel at it (gel if needed) and flex/wiggle the reflector.

For campfires/fireplace, unfold the reflector & use the full size. Worked like a charm.
Michael Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 10:18 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I like the combination of dimmers and reflectors. For big fires, you can use 2 or 3 lights with gels on them (pointed at the same direction), dimming each of them at a different speed.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management