DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 24th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Movie Quiet Generators usage...

Anyone know a site where you they sell you your own movie quiet generator? All the sites i find are for rental, and the ones that are for purchase seem to be general purpose construction and home generators - but i want to know how much it would cost to buy one that was made specifically for movie production. (quiet and stuff)
Old May 24th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Tyson,

You might more clearly describe your situation, like what is the site ?
Indoor/ Outdoor, how far away can you put the generator, and how many watts do you really need to have, etc ??

I just did an 2 day outdoor Horse Show Video, using a Honda EU2000i, to power 4 VCRs, 2 Cams, and 2 Monitors - for 9 hrs a day. Had the Honda setting in front of our 2 ford PU's (about 20') and could bearlly here it, as we shot out of the rear beds of them.

If you can isolate the Gen to some extent, and run a 50' cable, you should be OK.

You really need to figure out how many watts you need, before you go getting any Generator unit. Too big a Gen, is allways better than too little.

Look to Honda and Yamaha for the quite ones.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, the Honda generators are really quiet and so are Onan power plants. Onans are the main brand used in RVs and are known for being very quiet. I use an Onan 7000 watt permanently mounted in my video truck and it works great. The kind of generators that big production uses are very expensive because of the power they can provide and the special baffling to make them so quiet. Crawford and GE make those kinds of systems. I heard they cost as much as $70,000.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 01:24 AM   #4
New Boot

Hi,

This is one of the types of Genny we use for film and TV production:

http://www.mqpower.com/pages-product.../EGS1400V.html

It provides a total of 1400 amps. The show that I am currently doing has 2 of these full time and we bring in more on a daily basis as needed.
Simon Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 04:28 PM   #5
Major Player

In addition to MQPower, you could also try Burrell at
http://www.litepower.com/index_1_1280.htm

and there are several others as well.
I don't think any of these folks advertise prices on the net. These generators are very specialized compared to construction gennys. In addition to the sound control, they have very precise frequency control, and the ability to work in all kinds of weather. Coupled with the fact that they don't sell many of them, and I think you have the makings for an expensive commodity. Thus the reason that they are primarily a rental item.
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Well, Lite Power's tag line is Movie Quiet.

He said he wants to buy one and not rent. Here's one of the biggest production rental places in the southeast and where he can actually see one just a few miles north of Atlanta. Maybe he could get a used one for alot less.

www.lightnin.com
James Emory is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management