Anyone used the Anton Bauer Elipz lights? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 28th, 2007, 03:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone used the Anton Bauer Elipz lights?

I've seen some top mount lights from Frezzi and other places to put on the GL2, XHA1, Z1U and other small form factor cameras recently, and decided to purchase one. As I am a Beta SX, SP, and large camera shooter, I just can't stand cabled lights outside of the camera unit, it just slows me down terribly. I am an ENG photographer, and after years of quality pro equipment, the idea of carrying a beltpack for a battery would seriously drive me crazy. I shoot really, really fast (a couple times a week I literally sprint, set tripod, roll a couple of times, and continue sprinting) and I just couldn't get used to a cable if I got caught in one of those situations. I just don't want to connect cables if I need a light immediately. I need a switch, not a kit.

But here's the question. The Elipz toplight is rated at 6v. Most camera lights I use are 12v, and with a Canon 2/3" ENG lens I am in lowlight hell often for "run and gun" at night.

I think that Elipz is the smartest design overall, but I really have a concern about the lumens that this little Elipz light kicks out, considering the lenses that these smaller form factor cameras have, well, it might be ineffective.

Simply put, does anyone use it, and does the Elipz kick out enough light?
Alex Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Alex, got to www.EFPlighting.com and click on the featured topic "NAB2007".

I spent a lot time in Vegas going over all the on-camera lights, including the Elightz. In the report I tried to be kind keeping into consideration the respect that I have for Anton Bauer for all the fine products that they gave us over the years including those that I currently own.
Old May 28th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Nino.

I'll check it out.
Alex Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
I am an ENG photographer, and after years of quality pro equipment, the idea of carrying a beltpack for a battery would seriously drive me crazy.
Many ENG photographers carry battery belts. As soon as you get used to it you can run really fast with a CineBelt around your waist ;)
Something like a Sachtler Reporter 50/75 or Paglight equipped with a 50W bulb is just enough when there's no other light, even with a 2/3" camera. Most of the time you can use it with a little "softbox" (216 WD clamped to the barndoors), but it also has enough power to add a fill with 1/2 ctb in daylight situations (on very cloudy days or inside a room).
Especially when there's no time to use other lighting equipment (I know what I'm talking about) I'd never go for less than a 50W halogen lamp.
Heiko Saele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #5
Trustee

Now that I've tried it, I'll second what Nino said. My impression of the Elightz/Elipz is that it looks great on the Canon XH-A1. It throws a very even, warm light that is very flattering to skin tones. I won't overstate what 10 watts is, but I am pleased at the effectiveness, enough illumination to nicely bring out the color. It's more light than I expected for 10 watts. How bright? Enough that I will hear some complaints about it, I'm sure. And not enough to please the power pros. For me, that makes it about optimum.

As Nino said, the battery pack will not mount as rigidly to a tripod as you would hope. And I have a concern about the plastic tab for the accessory shoe. I won't overtighten the screw, but an adapter for the 1/4-20 screw as comes with the Sony Z1 could be helpful here. You have to zoom the lens to about 50% to avoid vignetting.

The Elightz I will just leave on the camera. The cam still fits in my bag with it mounted. How sweet it could be if Anton Bauer made an internal battery to go with this light. On the Canon XH-A1, it could be easily done, plenty of room in the battery bay.

Scott Cantrell from Texas Tapeworks was very helpful. The order arrived on time without hassle.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management