What editing books are you reading? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Read About It
Some old-fashioned book-learnin' will do you some good.

Old January 24th, 2008, 03:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What editing books are you reading?

Or what have u read, that helps enhance your editing skills? I want to learn as much as I can, and although I know most experience comes through trial and error, I want to minimize the latter as much as possible. I'm a beginner when it comes to final cut and photoshop, and remember very little about after effects since I haven't used it in so long, so I want to know what books AND training videos have helped you along the way.

Right now I do mostly weddings and assemble rough cuts for commercials at my church, but I want to be able to make them better and complete a commercial opposed to waiting on someone else to add in graphics, for example, and I want to be prepared to branch out into other arenas (commercials outside of church, short films, etc).

Thanks for your input!

Jessica
Old January 24th, 2008, 05:43 PM   #2
Major Player

If you've used After Effects before, and want to learn to do motion graphics.... GET BACK IN THERE! :)

videocopilot.net has some great tutorials... AE is one of the best tools for pro motion graphics, it's not the quickest to build with but it's definitely one of the most powerful. Read the manual and look at tutorials is the best advice I can give.

Carl
Old January 24th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #3
Major Player

Jessica,

"In the blink of an eye" Walter Murch

"Final Cut Pro 6" Diana Weynand (peachpitt press)

"Sound and Design: the expressive power of music, voice, and sound effects in cinema. David Sonnenschein.

"On Editing" Edward Dmytryk

There's a good mix. I'll have a think and perhaps ad a couple more titles later.

Dom
Old January 24th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #4
Major Player

As far as training, check out Lynda.com... you can subscribe and then get access to all their training videos on all the different apps.
Old January 25th, 2008, 02:33 AM   #5
Major Player

Oh Yeah, the Lynda.com site is something of an Aladdin's cave if you've got time on your hands to get your moneys worth. The Ripple training stuff is also very good. Andrew Balis's colour correction DVD for Ripple is pricey but worth every penny. The best training DVD i've seen to date.
Old January 25th, 2008, 03:16 AM   #6
New Boot

Check out The Technique of Film Editing by Karl Reisz. It's an older book, from the 60's I believe, but it is often called the bible of film editing. Of course it won't teach you newer things relating to the digital age, but it covers the basic techniques that have remained for years.
Old January 25th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Shake 4, PeachPit

Everything you always wanted to know about Lucan (but were afraid to ask Hitchcock)- Slavoj Žižek
Old January 25th, 2008, 09:39 AM   #8
Major Player

Another vote for lynda.com, a great collection of tutorials. I especially like the ability to learn a little bit about software BEFORE I purchase it, to better see whether it does what I need and can support my workflow.

As far as books go, to add to the list:
Apple Pro Training Series: Encyclopedia of Visual Effects

And let's not forget about audio:
Producing Great Sound for Digital Video and
Audio Postproduction for Digital Video
(both by Jay Rose)

- Martin
Old January 25th, 2008, 09:59 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies everyone. I want to have the technical aspects down but I know it's not always about knowing what button to push. I want to be able to tell a great story also. All of your suggestions have been great. I actually have Final Cut Pro 6 by Diana Weynand for an editing class. It's been great.

Don't stop now, keep em coming!!! :-)
Old January 26th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #10
Major Player

The operator's guide! Not to be a smart arse, but I've found the FCP instruction manual pretty helpful, particularly if you sit with it while working and try the techniques in real-time.

I also found the David Pogue book on Imovie helpful. Yes, this is the FCP forum, but I find this book worthwhile when my brain is overloaded: the simple style helps me understand the more complicated techniques in the FCP manual.

I've also taken to watching a lot of documentaries and public television. It helps me understand why/how pros edit the way they do. The mechanics aren't that difficult, it's knowing when to apply them.

Cheers,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It