Killer Camera Rigs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It

Read About It
Some old-fashioned book-learnin' will do you some good.

Old October 28th, 2003, 06:52 PM   #1
Major Player

Killer Camera Rigs

I saw someone mention the book "Killer Camera Rigs That You Can Build " in another post so I went and found the website: http://www.dvcamerarigs.com/

I was wondering if anyone has purchased this book, and if they like it. What kind of results they got, and if they would recomend it.

thanks.
Old November 11th, 2003, 03:13 PM   #2
RED Code Chef

It isn't looking too professional in my opinion. The stabalizer
isn't a full on steadicam, that's for sure. I have only scanned the
first couple of pages on the site...

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old March 26th, 2004, 11:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I am also wondering if anyone has bought this book.

If you have bought this book, are you satisfied with the equipment you have built?
Old September 4th, 2004, 10:14 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi guys,

I wrote "Killer Camera Rigs" so let's get that out of the way. As far as the stabilizer goes, most like it better than other hand-held units like glidecam because it uses bearings in the handle to isolate wrist movement. I can't comment too much on the look of the rigs:

"It isn't looking too professional in my opinion"

I designed them so just about anybody can build them with materials that are readily available. What I think is important, and what I focused on, is the what the shots look like, not what the rigs look like. Volume II will have a full rig with vest and arm.

A quick glance at the Quicktime movies on the site http://www.dvcamerarigs.com/killercontents.html

will show you the results you can get without much guessing about the quality of the rigs. You can also take a look at reviews from various magazines:

http://www.dvcamerarigs.com/Reviews.html

There are also comments from builders at:

http://www.dvcamerarigs.com/praise.html if you want to check out what other filmmakers are saying.
If you'd like to see what the pros say about the book:

http://www.dvcamerarigs.com/ProQuotes.html

Out of hundreds of books sold, I've yet to receive one negative e-mail on it's quality. Quite the opposite. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions you have. I think the worst thing that could happen is that you buy the thing and let it sit on the shelf. I want people to use these rigs, so I'm always available via e-mail to help with any problems or questions you might have with building or using the equipment in "Killer Camera Rigs That You Can Build". I have no influence on what book reviewers say, so you might want to take a look there first for an objective opinion from people that have read the book.

All my best,

Dan Selakovich
www.DVcameraRigs.com
Old September 5th, 2004, 04:48 AM   #5
RED Code Chef

Hi Dan!

I'd like to take a moment to explain a few things. As you can
see this thread is almost a year old and things change. One thing
is that I've read a couple of your posts and responses from other
people regarding your book.

Everyone seems to be pleased indeed. And having the author
around (which I don't think you where back when this thread
started?) is a definite plus! So thank you for that.

"It isn't looking too professional in my opinion"

I made this remark last year I think for the following reasons:
  1. I think the website is not looking professional. It kind of says (in my very humble opinion) "buy this! buy this!" which I usually don't like myself. For this I like Cody's site better since it gives you an insight in the plans etc.
  2. It did not show any vest or arm (which from your response seems to be in the next book [great!] and not in the "old" one) which ofcourse, as you know, will not perform as well as a full system. Ofcourse a full system will cost much more as well!
All in all I just didn't gave a good impression of perhaps what is
a great book (I can't say since I haven't read it). Especially the
website in my opinion.

Perhaps this is just me, but that was the reasoning behind me
not being too enthusiastic. The website being the main reason.
It just screams too much like a lot of scam sites (I'm definitely
not saying that about you or your book!). That always seems
to "scare" me, you know?

In the end your responses to this and other threads and your
support on this board have removed those fears/doubts for
me and I would be happy to point someone to your book with
the note they should thoroughly look at it before buying (but
everyone should do that with everything they buy in my opinion).

So again thank you for your support here and from what I read
in another thread regarding your new book it sounds interesting!

I would however seriously look at your website, personally.

Thanks.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old September 5th, 2004, 10:58 AM   #6
Major Player

I stand corrected! Didn't see the date, sorry. Actually, most people LOVE the site. I get e-mails every week from people that don't want the book, but comment on the site. I guess there are a lot of film noir fans out there. Most of the comments are on the "fun" of the site, and like it because it doesn't look "corporate". Besides, the 3rd printing of the book goes to press this month, so I must be doing something right. The "buy me, buy me" stuff is all in good fun, but I understand. I don't like those sites either. I was attempting to make fun of them. Guess it didn't come across as well as would have liked. But I DO appreciate your comments. Really.

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com
Old September 17th, 2004, 04:48 PM   #7
New Boot

Dan,

I loved your website! I am not in "the biz" and only do home movies and family special events, but I was thinking of buying your book for the rig that allows you to shoot from a low angle (I think it was called the Pooper Scooper Cam). We have an 8 month old son (speaking of poop), and I am always following him around taping him getting into all kinds of mischief. Is that rig mobile? Or would you recommend using a Steadi Cam. I am using an original Canon Elura, so it's pretty light, but I could definitely use some help with the close-to-the-ground shots.

Thanks!

-Patrick
Old September 18th, 2004, 09:32 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi Patrick,

The pooper-scooper cam is for you! It's as mobile as it gets. You wouldn't be the first to build it to get shots of their toddlers. It doesn't get easier to use; It'll take about 2 minutes. If all you need it for is baby shots, you could probably even build it without the spring (it absorbs shock of sudden bumbs. For example, I was haning out a car window with the rig to get a low angle of tires and the street while buzzing down Hollywood blvd.) I've also had people put the camera on the bottom of the Shock Corridor Stabilizer for their baby cam. As with everyone that orders the book, I'm always available via e-mail to help. Besides, who knows, you might get the film bug and start building the cranes and dollies before you know it!

All my best,

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com
Old June 4th, 2006, 05:45 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I guess it's abit late for me to post this but I just ordered the book myself. I have no experience in building stuff but an architecture student friend of mine (we're both USC students btw) has agreed to help me build them. I read a lot of reviews on the book already and I'm convinced this is what I need.

I have a Sony HVR-Z1U and will be using Redrock Micro's lens adapter. Dan, I hear you prived workshops at USC and stuff. I would love to meet you personally and discuss more. :-)
Old June 5th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #10
Major Player

Hi Martin,

I think you'll be pleasantly gobsmacked about how easy I've made the rigs to build (1,334 step-by-step photos). I get e-mails all the time from people who've had no building experience that are successful. In fact, the most used rigs in the book around here; the dolly combined with the "Killer's Kiss Crane" are also the easiest to build. I'd start with these. (I almost never use my tripod any more)!

I thought I was suppose to teach my frighteningly successful NAB seminar "Finding the Right Shot" at the USC summer film program this year, but I guess it fell through. If you'll e-mail me, maybe we can set up a time to meet. I'm pretty busy trying to get "Son of Killer Camera Rigs" finished, but I think I can carve out some time.

All my best,

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com
Old June 28th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Dan,

Can you give us some insight about "Son of Killer Camera Rigs". How many projects are in it and what kind of equipment do you have in it? Thanks for your time and your books!
Old June 28th, 2006, 08:25 PM   #12
Major Player

Hi Adam,

Among other things: a full steadicam rig (vest/arm), a tire dolly with crab wheels, teleprompter, Mic shock mount with boom pole (and no, it's not made out of PVC pipe!), motorized pan and tilt for the cranes if I can get the price down (it's hard making a cheap one that's speedy, quiet, and can hold some weight!), and a few other surprises if I can fit them into this volume. I don't know when it will be ready. It should have been done by now, but I still work in the "industry" if something interesting comes along. Currently I'm helping Erika Lopez get her novel "Flaming Iguanas" to the screen. Wish us luck!

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com
Old July 4th, 2006, 04:54 AM   #13
New Boot

Killer Camera Rigs

Dan,
I bought your book a few months ago and have had a great time working through it. I just stumbled across this thread and wanted to add my two cents.

I found that the rigs are easy to build for any skill level and your instructions are crystal clear. You do a great job making these tools accessible to anyone with the time and initiative to build them. After hitting the local hardware store's scrap bin for plywood and finding free set of used wheels on craigslist (yes - it's as easy as it sounds if you live in a metro area) I was able to build the Dark Passage Dolly for under $30. It is smooth and quiet and only took me a few hours to assemble.

One of your crane designs is next on my to-do list, and I have to say I can't wait to see your pan/tilt head plans. Maybe your new book will be done by the time I finish the crane? Please keep up the good work.

Best,
Erik
Old July 4th, 2006, 09:08 AM   #14
Major Player

Hi Erik,

Thanks so much for the kind words! The next project should definitely be the "Killer's Kiss Crane" to go on that dolly! While I'm sure most get the book for the stabilizer plans, around here the dolly/Kiss crane combo are used 90% of the time. I'll even use this combo when doing a static shot because it's so easy to do, say, an over the shoulder then push in for a close up without having to reset a tripod. It take a little longer to set up the track, etc. but once you've got it, shooting goes a lot faster in the end.

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com
Old January 8th, 2007, 01:52 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Status of the next book

Dan,

I hope all things are going well. Did you have a good holiday season? What is the status of your next book, "Son of the Killer Camera Rigs"? Is there a chance to pre-order it before it is released?

Adam

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It