DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Read About It (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/read-about/)
-   -   Industry Magazines (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/read-about/46498-industry-magazines.html)

Emre Safak January 24th, 2006 07:16 PM

I like American Cinematographer. Magazines like DV are fun, but don't really contribute to your artistic growth. If you like product reviews, go for it.

Eric Brown January 27th, 2006 01:44 PM

"I like American Cinematographer. Magazines like DV are fun, but don't really contribute to your artistic growth. If you like product reviews, go for it."

Emre, my gosh...how could I have forgotten my favorite magazine!?! Nice recovery!

Steve Witt January 29th, 2006 09:23 PM

Does American Cinematographer have many "how to" type article where you can actually learn some neat stuff to try? Thanks.

Eric Brown January 29th, 2006 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Witt
Does American Cinematographer have many "how to" type article where you can actually learn some neat stuff to try? Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave B Mullen
Hi guys

Can anyone recommend any industry magazines for good reading on my long daily commute? I've scanned many forums and there seems to be a lot out there. I'd appreciate your feedback as I don't want to waste time or money on magazines that are not respected.

Thanks in advance

DB

It's not really that type of magazine. The cinematographers do go into detailed explanation as to how they went about things, but it is not layed out in laymen's terms. Still, if you have a base understanding of the craft and the tools involved you can understand it.
There is also Cinefex that deals specifically with special effects and how they achieve them, what type of camera and film, etc, are often included in the equation.
However this was more common before the CGI revolution and now the mag seems mostly about computer/CGI stuff.
I'd highly, HIGHLY recommend going to Ebay and picking up older issues that concentrated on older big effects films like Blade Runner, Alien, etc.
I learned a ton from these magazines and it helped to round out my knowledge of practical/in-camera effects.

Steve Witt February 10th, 2006 03:00 PM

"Moviemaker" magazine claims to be the #1 selling independent movie magazine. I bought a copy and it is "very very good". Very informative and very supportive of the indie!!! This magazine is exactly what I've been looking for. Check it out!!!
http://www.moviemaker.com/
MovieMaker Magazine is a quarterly chronicle of the world of independent motion picture art and business and the personalities who inhabit it. It is commentary, how-to information, new product reviews, financing strategies, humor, criticism, photography, illustrations, and candid interviews with above-the-line trendsetters as well as behind-the-scenes craftspeople. Featuring insight into the marquee names of today, the giants of yesterday and the trend-setters of tomorrow in an attractive full-color package, MovieMaker is designed to entertain as well as instruct, and is written for both independent artists and all fans of quality motion pictures.

MovieMaker, "The Art and Business of Making Movies," is the most widely-read independent movie magazine in the world.

Steve Witt April 13th, 2006 09:10 PM

DigitalVideo techniques Magazine

I bought the absolute best magazine I've ever seen on Digital video today. It is called "Digital Video techniques" Printed in UK. I bought it at the Barnes and Noble in USA and it was a little expensive but worth it. More how to articles than any other magazine on the subject.
http://www.dvtechniques.co.uk/flashindex.html

Marc Ries April 13th, 2006 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Witt
I bought the absolute best magazine I've ever seen on Digital video today. It is called "Digital Video techniques" Printed in UK. I bought it at the Barnes and Noble in USA and it was a little expensive but worth it. More how to articles than any other magazine on the subject.
http://www.dvtechniques.co.uk/flashindex.html

I also have purchased most issues of DVT (they are only on issue 5 anyway) -- mainly because of the included disk of freebies (digital loops, stills and audio loops) and secondly because of the articles, which typically are good.

However, they are biased in their software tutorials towards the "consumer" level: they have never had anything on Vegas, for example, and don't cover Premiere or After Effects (but do cover Elements and Encore).

Steve Witt April 14th, 2006 11:13 AM

Well, like you said.....There has only been five issues so far. The NLE software that you mentioned has entire books written about them that you can check out for free at the Public Libraries (each one is a couple inches thick--lots of info). I'm not at that level yet but maybe they will touch on those bigger NLEs soon. Yes, and the disks with free stuff is cool too!!

Dave Harfield July 10th, 2006 05:05 AM

Digital Video Techniques pro section

Hi All

It might interest you guys to know that Digital Video Techniques now includes a 16 page section called DV Pro that includes tutorials on more advanced DV software like Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro as well as Encore. No Vegas yet but it will be making an appearance in future issues.

Kit Hannah January 2nd, 2008 07:57 PM

Free Industry Magazines and Publications....

Hey all,

I checked around and it didn't seem like this had been talked about much before.

What industry magazines are out there that don't cost anything? I'd like to get a list / resource going for reference. So I guess I'll start.

Free magazines and publications I receive:

Millimeter
Digital Content Producer
Sound & Video Contractor
Front of House Magazine (audio)

Probably a few others, can't think of them right now.

What do you guys recommend? It doesn't have to "necessarily" be free, but that would be nice.

Thanks
Kit

Chris Harris January 2nd, 2008 08:44 PM

I subscribe to Event DV and Studio Monthly, which are both free, very interesting, and helpful.

Chris Hurd January 2nd, 2008 08:58 PM

Moved to Read About It and merged with our Magazines thread.

Kit Hannah January 2nd, 2008 09:28 PM

Sorry Chris. Thanks. Guess I should have looked a little harder... :-)