"How to Setup, Light, & Shoot Great Looking Interviews" any good? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It

Read About It
Some old-fashioned book-learnin' will do you some good.

Old December 19th, 2006, 12:34 AM   #16
Regular Crew

We have both the lighting DVDs mentioned above, and both are informative in different ways.

Victor Milt's ideas on building your own lights (low cost) are intriguing, and practical. He's a regular presenter at NAB, has been in the business a long time, and knows his stuff.

In the long run we opted to go for a DV-Creators Lowel lighting kit from Guy Cochran'es www.dvestore.com and have been very happy with the results. We bought a four-light set-up, with cables and stands, complete with a very sturdy case. And the results have been great.

There are several combinations - choose according to your budget and needs.
You can certainly get a Lowel kit for well under $1500 from Cochrane.

Plus he does some pretty nifty little tutorial films you can watch for free on line. (I just checked the link and see he has one up called Three Point lighting with the DVCreators Lowel Lighting Kit...which may save you the cost of buying a DVD in the first place:-)

(And he doesn't pay me to mention this stuff...I am just a very satisfied customer).

Michael KNight.
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:59 PM   #17
Major Player

re:

Of the above mentioned dvds which do you consider the most appropriate for lighting for digital (HDV and HD specifically)?
Old June 19th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Guy Cochrane of DV Creators does a lot of video filming.

The Lowel light kit he sells was put together by Lowel at the recommendation of DV Creators...and has become one of Lowels best sellers.

We bought one - it comes in a very compact case - and we're very happy with the combination.

Best.

Michael.

Last edited by Michael Knight; June 19th, 2007 at 09:39 PM. Reason: May not have been in compliance with basic rules of site - too enthusiastically talking about a non-sponsoring company, even
Old June 19th, 2007, 08:51 PM   #19
Major Player

re:

nice. Thanks Micheal.
Old June 19th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Hayes View Post
nice. Thanks Micheal.
Interesting in maybe picking up this DVD based on the recomendations here but a little disapointed it's going to run $48 shipped. Hmmmm... To buy or not to buy...
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:01 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Prohaska View Post
That video looks great but this DVD:

http://www.dvcreators.net/dv-enlightenment/

will teach you more about everything (not just interviews) alot better than anything ive ever seen. Even pro's have gotten this DVD and learned something at least. I highly recommend it.

-Kyle
Ditto. I have this DVD, its very well done, the best one I watched. I have used Lowel light kits many times, and for the price they do a great job. However, I opted to wait until I could afford an Arri D4 Softbank light kit, which is what I bought, and I love it. It's so easy with this kit to make interviews look really great, and the fresnels give off a beautiful light which is also very easy to control. But it is more money, and heavier, so it may not be for everyone.

One of the best resources I have ever seen though is Bill Holshevnikoff's "Arri Lighting Handbook" which I think you can buy from his website www.poweroflighting.com for like, $5 (it came with my light kit). Its a great little book, complete with lighting plans for different looks. I'm a bit embarassed to say, but on my first shoot with the new Arri kit, I just used one of his setups in the book and it looked great. So much for two years of film school!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It