Which Controller for PD170 in School Studio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 16th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #1
Trustee

Which Controller for PD170 in School Studio

Which focus and zoom conroller would be best suited for a PD170 in a school news studio.

The camera is on a Bogen tripod on heavy-duty wheels.

The video shot is just of the one or two people at the news desk.

The purpose of the controller is to set the zoom range (not necessarily zoom will the shot is on, though maybe a little occasionally), set focus on the talent.

The DV signal will be sent into a DataVideo Switcher then out to the cable and into a computer (for recording).

My initial decision is this one from Varsizoom, the Rock Limited Edition Aluminum:
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...457&PageID=107
I like it because it covers the controls needed and is metal.

The Bogen 523Pro is also a consideration:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...onal_Zoom.html

Or the Bogen 521Pro:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ct_Remote.html

Or maybe the Varizoom PG-L:
http://www.varizoom.com/products/controls/vzpgl.html

Does anyone have any recommendations. Thank you!
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #2
Trustee

Or is there one I didn't mention? Thanks.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I have a Varizoom Stealth which from a size perspective is nice and I also have the PG-L which although it's bulkier I love it for tripod work. The speed adjustment for the zoom is wonderful-it goes from a very slow creep to just about a snap zoom-and the focus buttons work well.
Again the only thing I can say bad about it is the bulk of it but that's only getting it in it's place in my bag ;-)

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 02:51 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
I have a Varizoom Stealth which from a size perspective is nice and I also have the PG-L which although it's bulkier I love it for tripod work. The speed adjustment for the zoom is wonderful-it goes from a very slow creep to just about a snap zoom-and the focus buttons work well.
Again the only thing I can say bad about it is the bulk of it but that's only getting it in it's place in my bag ;-)

Don
Thanks. I originally was going to get the PG-L, but I believe a Push Auto Focus function would be the most useful in the situation we have, and the PG-L doesn't have this. (I do have this model, though, for a Fujinon lens, and we use the model one down on a Z1. Both work well. I also have a Studio One unit I have used a long time on a PD150, and it has worked very well the way I use it.)

After doing some further research (and discovering a long standing feud on this issue), I also learned that the three top controllers are the Varizoom, Bogen and Zoe.

I have decided to get the Bogen 523PRO. Since it is built into the Bogen handle, it is more difficult to steal. It has the necessary features, and it also gives a cleaner, more professional look to the setup we are using.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers