Will Sony Remote Pan Arms attach to Bogen Heads? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 19th, 2008, 07:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Will Sony Remote Pan Arms attach to Bogen Heads?

Does anyone know if I can detach the remote pan arm from a Sony VCT-870RM tripod and attach it to a Manfrotto/Bogen video head, like the 501 or 701? I understand that this remote, though not as good as the Varizoom Stealth or the Manfrotto, will give me a good range of zoom control.
BJ Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi BJ,

I've got 2 of the Sony VCT-D680RM units. (the smaller ones) The Remote Control Handles screw into the Head unit, so I doubt they will directly connect to that Tri-Pod head.

They are also 2-speed units, with either fast or slow zooming.

When not usnig them on their Tri-Pods, I take them off and use them "Freehand", or strap them to my custom made extendable control handles for my Bogen Tri-Pod.

I also have set up my IR Remotes with FiberOptic Cables to use in the same way, straped or Freehand. I can use both the wired and IR Remote control units together. (both "plugged" in, so to speak)

Check my other posts for Pics of the IR Remote Mod if interested.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Schreiber View Post
I've got 2 of the Sony VCT-D680RM units. (the smaller ones) The Remote Control Handles screw into the Head unit, so I doubt they will directly connect to that Tri-Pod head.

They are also 2-speed units, with either fast or slow zooming.
Thanks Harold. The 870 units are supposed to have a more variable zoom than the 680's, so I'm trying desperately to get one. Even if I have to rig it up, it beats paying $200-300 for the more expensive units.

I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.
Old September 25th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #4
Major Player

The 870 control is fairly decent. Tripod isn't as stable as you'd like, but the action is very smooth.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #5
Major Player

Just ordered a new 870rm today. Don't know of the reliability of the source, I'm taking a chance for a good remote (I already have one) to mount to my Bogen 561B monopod and to use as a back-up pod.

NWVDirect.com
Old September 30th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Shealy View Post
I ordered from them as well. You're going to get an email in a couple of days telling you that it is not actually in stock, and that the estimated date of their supply will be after October 15th. They gave me the option to cancel my order, and they did not charge my card. They are very easy to work with...I just wish they showed the product availability BEFORE you order.
Old October 1st, 2008, 05:20 AM   #7
Major Player

I'm pretty sure the 870 has been out of production for a while, so it may be they won't be able to get any more. I'd be happy to wait till around Oct 15 if they can indeed get one.

If you get one, give it a whirl before you hack it up. I think you'll be surprised at how smooth the head is, although a little stiff for super-compacts. If it had a ball head, I'd be fine with it until I can spring for a $2,000 Sachtler. I'm even tempted to purchase the Sony VCT-1170rm, which has a ball head, but it's $350 and I can't find any reliable reviews of it. I just returned a Bogen 503HDV that I purchased to replace the 870, because I found myself getting better results with the 870!
Old October 1st, 2008, 07:06 AM   #8
Regular Crew

They come up very regularly on ebay on craigslist. You can also post on the classifieds here to see if some one has one they'd be willing to part with. I ordered mine last week from B&H's used department. It should be here today. I'll leave feedback once I try it out. Good luck.
BJ Elliott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers