CAVision 2-Wheel Follow Focus Design Flaw ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers

Old June 19th, 2006, 09:39 PM   #1
Major Player

CAVision 2-Wheel Follow Focus Design Flaw ?

I ordered the dual-wheel follow focus by CAVision for my Chroziel Mattebox/Rods. It seems that the second wheel does not clear the zoom grip on the lens. I have the stock lens and the wide angle and it doesn't clear either. I emailed CAVision about it but haven't gotten a response yet.

Is this a design flaw? Has anyone else experienced this? How about the dual-wheel Chroziel? Does it have the same issues?
Old August 26th, 2006, 12:17 PM   #2
Trustee

Was there ever an answer on this?

I am looking for a follow focus for the HD100 standard and wideangle lenses.

Which one works the best?

Which one works the best for a reasonable cost?

Chrosziel?
Petroff?
Cinetech?
Cavision?
Vocas?
Redrock?
Indifocus?

Does anyone have experience with follow focus units on the standard and wideangle lenses on the HD100?

Last edited by Jack Walker; August 26th, 2006 at 01:25 PM.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 12:57 PM   #3
Major Player

Petroff Follow Focus

Hi Jack,

I have the Petroff follow focus and it works great with the wide lens but the gear won't reach the focus ring gear with the standard lens. It would work for the standard lens by putting the gear on the "outside" end of the shaft, but then focusing would be reversed.

we enjoyed meeting you and Julia yesterday!

Tip
Tip McPartland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip McPartland
Hi Jack,

I have the Petroff follow focus and it works great with the wide lens but the gear won't reach the focus ring gear with the standard lens. It would work for the standard lens by putting the gear on the "outside" end of the shaft, but then focusing would be reversed.

we enjoyed meeting you and Julia yesterday!

Tip
Yes, Here, too!

And I will go over and look at the Petroff Mini Follow Focus. I don't want to buy one of these without trying it.
Old August 26th, 2006, 01:51 PM   #5
Regular Crew

The Cinetech studio(duel wheel) follow focus works perfectly with the standard lens but it too is relatively tight to the zoom strap. You have to adjust the focus wheel downward slightly. My question is why buy a Cavision follow focus when you have a Chroziel matte box? If you have a Porsche why buy cheap tires?
Scott Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Harper
The Cinetech studio(duel wheel) follow focus works perfectly with the standard lens but it too is relatively tight to the zoom strap. You have to adjust the focus wheel downward slightly. My question is why buy a Cavision follow focus when you have a Chroziel matte box? If you have a Porsche why buy cheap tires?
Actually, I don't have a chrozsiel or any matte box yet. I am looking at different options, and then I will get something.

I looked at a chrozsiel matte box and don't like the heavy weight. I am looking at some lightweight alternatives for what I need.

I need a good, yet not over heavy or big, follow focus attachment. This seems to be the most critical item in that it must be slop free, must fit correctly, must work well.

From searching the forum, it seems that not a lot of people have experience with follow focus systems on the HD110... but I would like to get whatever info I can.
Old August 26th, 2006, 11:58 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I wasn't referring to you, Jack. Anyway, as far as good follow focus and matte box combos go, check out an older(1 month or so)post where we discussed these things here on this site. Sorry I can't remember what we posted the title as but if you search matte box/follow focus you'll find it.
Scott Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 09:08 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from HD100 to Lens Controls

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers