Budget LANC controller for the A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers

Old December 3rd, 2006, 02:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Budget LANC controller for the A1

If you need only ocasionaly a LANC zoom/rec controller for the A1 I want to signal the Libec ZC-3DV that I bought from B&H. It works great with the A1 and it has also a mode for the Panasonic. A great little product for just $109. I guess the entry level products of other brands can't do much more than this at twice the price:
http://tinyurl.com/ya6kro

Regards
Gabriele
Gabriele Sartori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 02:53 PM   #2
Major Player

That is not to shabby.
Holly Rognan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 03:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

There's a whole thread on this LANC:
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=43345

IMO the Zoe is a quantum leap better at twice the price with zoom limiters and one-touch autofocus. It's about as good as you'll get with a LANC.

I have no idea why anyone with a decent camera would buy a $20 polarizer in a plastic bag.... or try panning with a $200 tripod.... or recycle $4 tapes.... or buy off-brand batteries... etc etc...
Jay Fisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 03:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Fisk
There's a whole thread on this LANC:
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=43345
I have no idea why anyone with a decent camera would buy a $20 polarizer in a plastic bag.... or try panning with a $200 tripod.... or recycle $4 tapes.... or buy off-brand batteries... etc etc...
It really depend what you use it for. Agree on the polarizer but for a LANC controller if you use it twice a year why not. This controller is really good actually. BTE when I had the GL1 I bought off-brand batteries they were better than the original Canon. I'm sure mileage varies, the new graphite canon are very good but for many products off-brand doesn't always mean bad products.
Libec BTW is not Manfrotto but is a pretty well known brand.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 05:22 PM   #5
Major Player

Agreed, as long as it works for the job, without significant comprimises, there is no reason not to purchase it.

I like to have nice gear, but I don't always buy the best most expensive products, otherwise I wouldn't have settled for the A1.

I understand that you usually get what you pay for, and yet you get a pretty functional LANC controller for $110.
Holly Rognan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 05:33 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriele Sartori
a LANC controller... if you use it twice a year why not.
Twice a year? That's all you ever shoot from a tripod? I'm still trying to figure out the best way to permanently attach a LANC controller to a pan handle. I'll never shoot from a tripod without one.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 05:40 PM   #7
Contributor

I bought a Libec 22 tripod from Zotz, and the lanc controller came for free as a special promo that's going on now.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 05:46 PM   #8
Regular Crew

A LANC is absolutely essential - I just wish they made one fully optimized with direct control of all essential camera functions PLUS a simple shotbox for presets. Drilling down through menus on LCD's really shouldn't be necessary during any shoot. WB/OIS/AF/Gain etc...

Ken Tanaka did a very comprehensive review of the Zoe here: http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/camaccs/zoedvlanc.php

The new model has silent raised buttons instead of the clickers and a lower price ~235-ish. Well engineered, with a full-range of features and the best zoom control of any sub-$1000 controller.

Last edited by Jay Fisk; December 3rd, 2006 at 06:38 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 05:50 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

The Canon ZR-2000 is as close as it comes for functionality. It's cheap and plastic (too big negatives in my opinion) but it includes focus assist and AE shift. And discrete zoom speeds just like the hand grip (Z1 through Z16).

Now if only it had a menu access wheel scroller and the CP select and trigger buttons, that would be ideal. As long as I'm dreaming, it would also be great if it had the focus & zoom position select and trigger buttons too.

Old December 3rd, 2006, 05:59 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Twice a year? That's all you ever shoot from a tripod? I'm still trying to figure out the best way to permanently attach a LANC controller to a pan handle. I'll never shoot from a tripod without one.
Hehe, I was exagerating to make a point but I'm not a pro. I don't use the tripod too much since I mostly use the camera during my travels. I was thinking today though that I can use the controller on my glidecam. I use the glidecam more than the tripod although even that one with moderation since everybody look at you when you have that thing. Also I found out that in terms of anti-vibration the A1 is really exceptional. Much better than all the other cameras I ever got. I may do handholding even more...
Old December 3rd, 2006, 06:21 PM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from Canon XH forum to Remote Lens Controllers.

Old December 12th, 2006, 05:29 PM   #12
Major Player

LANC recommendation

I just got the Zoe DVXL controller - can highly recommend it. The sensitivity of the rocker and button location makes it a "natural shooter." As good as the high-end betacams I used to use.
I was very disappointed with the Sony a1u's zoom, but this unit makes it into a good zoom. Too bad it ate up half of the camcorder rebate.

Features:
Record
Power
Zoom
Manual focus
two-click - snap focus (works great)
Works on Sony/Pana/Canon.
James Harring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 12:29 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Are you using this with an XH-A1? If so, are all the focus functions operational? ie manual vs auto and one push focus. Good info is hard to find!
Old December 21st, 2006, 07:32 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Jay,

I am using the Zoe DVXL with the A1. The focus controls are dependant on the focus mode switch on the camera. Basically, you can't switch auto/manual from the Zoe. But if you're in manual, you can select focus on the Zoe and focus with the rocker. I haven't found a need for this yet so for me it amounts to money spent that I'm not benefiting from. Bottom line, Zoe on A1, nice rocker, selectable max zoom speed, start stop record. That's about it.
Wade Hanchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 11:26 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Thanks Wade - Looks like the Zoe wins for the precise zoom / focus controls (133 degree stepless rotation) essential on a tripod. The '2-click' snap focus that James listed above is a bonus. Zoe (bebob.de) mentions a 'long-push' for instant focus. May be same thing, done differently?

Once I get a few non-video projects out of the way I may try the maligned Canon 2000 with the intent of repackaging it into a hunk of CNC'd aluminum. It really does look like a $19.95 remote.

Last edited by Jay Fisk; December 24th, 2006 at 03:41 PM.
Jay Fisk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers