shoulder support for EX3? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 4th, 2008, 02:08 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
the redrock's a great find. Looks like a cost effective solution for the EX1's tough to handheld issue. i wonder if it will work well with Brevis n Letus setup.
You know after seeing the redrock and the price point, zacuto makes me absolutly sick. They are asking $250 just for the shoulder pad! Come on guys, give me a break! http://store.zacuto.com/product.php?...&cat=66&page=1 I just paid $350 for the whole shoulder mount deluxe set from redrock.....am I missing something here??

Does Zacuto make their rods out of white gold or platinum? I'm really starting to get sick and tired from some of these manufacturers with their un justifiable prices.... they're just ripping hard working folks like me and you ....

There has got to be a change.
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 02:59 AM   #17
Trustee

As they say competition is good! Yeah Redrock's hit the nail here with the pricepoint and thousands of EX1 out there... would be waiting to see Letus n Brevis rigs.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hunt View Post
I wonder how the new Anton/Bauer Stasis Flex will work? Check out:

www.antonbauer.com/stasisflex.htm

This has an adjustable (flex) mount and may help to get the vf of th EX3 witin range of ones eye.

Anyone have any experience with this piece?
I bought their silly original version (costly mistake) . Five of us using three different cameras could not get comfortable with it!!! I don't think those designers at AB have ever held a camera. Anybody won't to buy a Stasis.....cheap?
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 10:56 AM   #19
New Boot

shoulder brace

just used peter lisand shoulder brace bsc-05 for 2hrs just great
brian
Brian Rigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 05:32 AM   #20
Major Player

shoulder support for EX3?

I'm used to working with a Z1 in combination with a Varizoom LSP shouldersupport. I played with the EX3 a bit at a Sony dealer last week and couldn't imagine what it would feel like to work with it for an entire day.
I've never worked with shoulder-camera's but it's obvious why they call this a 'semi-shoulder' design. I felt like I had to push it back against my shoulder and could imagine it getting strenuous but maybe it's just a matter of getting used to/getting the hang of it.

My questions are these:

1) what are your experiences when shooting long days with the EX3?

2) do people use shoulder support systems with the EX3?

thanks for the input,

Jeroen
Jeroen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I see that Studio 1 Productions has a shoulder brace for the EX3. It is also featured in Vortex Media's EX3 instructional video. Looks pretty good.

Rob
Rob Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 03:43 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Taylor View Post
I see that Studio 1 Productions has a shoulder brace for the EX3. It is also featured in Vortex Media's EX3 instructional video. Looks pretty good.

Rob
Sorry to disagree, but it looks kinda cheap, just like the website and the demo video. (which doesn't necessarily mean it's bad, by the way)
The brace is not specifically for the EX3. (again, doesn't have to be a problem but it wasn't designed with the EX3 -a one of a kind design- in mind) All in all it seems a bit pricey for such a simple tool. There are other shoulderbraces that allow for much more control/adjustments, some even cost less.
Old October 17th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Hi Jeroen,
In your post you said the brace wasn't made with the EX3 in mind. You might want to check your facts before posting that.

Just to let you know, I called Studio 1 this morning and they said it was design SPECIFICLY for the EX3. In fact, they worked with Doug Jenson from Vortex Media in the design process. Doug is the one with the EX3 video that everyone is raving about here on DVInfo.net. Once it met Doug's approval, Studio 1 started manufacturing it.

Studio 1 said, that they had a few customers that purchased it for the EX3 that called them and said they found it worked with the small HD camera that are about the size of a soda can. That is even stated on their web site, here is the exact wording:

"While the VSB3 was originally designed for the Sony PMW-EX3 in mind, customers have reported using VSB3 with the small handheld HD video cameras with excellent results."

As far as the demo video goes, it was produced by Doug Jenson from Vortex Media. Like his videos, I thought the demo looked good.

As far as their shoulder brace being cheap made, I can tell you they are not. I have the VSB1 for the EX1 and it is rugged. It is a simple design, but the quality is great and it can take a beating. I know, mine has been through a lot since I got it. Just like the VSB3, Studio 1 and Vortex Media designed the VSB1 together and they are only sold by both companies.

I agree, there are lots of other shoulder braces. Just like there are many different makes and models of cars on the road. In my post I was simply pointing out that there is another choice out there.

Studio 1 Productions web site is Video Backgrounds, Studio 1 Productions Video Backgrounds, Royalty Free Music, XLR Adapters, Zoom Controllers, Stock Footage, Animations and More
Vortex Media web site is Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training

Rob
Old October 18th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Hi Jeroen,
In your post you said the brace wasn't made with the EX3 in mind. You might want to check your facts before posting that.
Rob
Hi Rob- I stand corrected on the brace not being made for the EX3-assumption. I saw a pic with a small handheld which made it appear like a OneSizeFitsAll product...

But my other criticism still stands.
Old October 20th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Hi Jeroen,

I was told the VSB3 is a modified version of the VSB1 shoulder brace. I own the VSB1 shoulder brace and like it. It well made and machined and it is very rugged. Simple design, yes. Cheaply made, no.

Personally I like the product and I base my opinions on actually having the equipment.

You can say what you want, but I am not sure how valid your criticism is, of a product you have never seen or used....
Rob
Old October 20th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Hi Jeroen,

I was told the VSB3 is a modified version of the VSB1 shoulder brace. I own the VSB1 shoulder brace and like it. It well made and machined and it is very rugged. Simple design, yes. Cheaply made, no.

Personally I like the product and I base my opinions on actually having the equipment.

You can say what you want, but I am not sure how valid your criticism is, of a product you have never seen or used....
Rob
Gee, Rob, since you're being so defensive about this thing, I'm starting to doubt your intentions. I have this funny feeling you're plugging the product, as they say.

You got me curious and after some simple investigation I noticed that you have been promoting some more stuff for Studio 1:

October 17, 2008

Rob

July 9, 2007:

I have the ProZoom 2 from Studio 1 and Yes it works with the Canon XH-A1.

Rob

BTW: Studio 1 web site is Video Backgrounds, Studio 1 Productions Video Backgrounds, Royalty Free Music, XLR Adapters, Zoom Controllers, Stock Footage, Animations and More

January 14, 2008:

I see a shoulder brace for the Sony EX1 is coming out from Studio 1 Production. They have a sneak peak video on their site.

VSB1 Video Camera Shoulder Brace VSB-1 ideal for the Sony PMW-EX1 XDCAM EX - Sony EX-1 - Sony EX1

March 11, 2004

I have since used a jib from ProMax and Studio 1. Both work great. Neither will bend from the camera weight. Rob

July 2, 2003:

I have Studio 1's old XLR-PRO and their newer models, both the XLR-BP Pro and the XLR-BP 3 Pro.

June 4, 2003

Hi Wayne,

Everyone has different needs for zoom controllers. Like I said I tried the Varizoom, while it works well, it didn't fit my needs. The Studio 1 ProZoom does.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Etc etc. You mentioned Studio 1 many more times, but we get the point.

Well, it might just be coincidence, but you have to agree there's an awful lot of Studio 1 in your posts... And the way 'you just point out' things gives a certain impression. If I'm wrong about this, I sincerely apologize. If I'm right, well, then only you and a few others will ever really know, won't you...?

Do you own an EX3, by the way? Have you used one in combination with THE STUDIO ONE model?

Last but not least: I had an opinion about the STUDIO ONE website, the demo video and the brace looking cheap. I even added that doesn't necessarily makes it a bad product. It just doesn't instill confidence in the product for me.
I also said that: All in all it seems a bit pricey for such a simple tool. There are other shoulderbraces that allow for much more control/adjustments, some even cost less.

Those are perfectly valid statements. That was my criticism, that remains my criticism and it still stands.

Jeroen
Old October 20th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Hi Jeroen,

Yes, I have made some post about their products, but I have also made post about other products too.

I happen to like some of their products. NOTE: I said some. Not all of their products. Yes, I own several of their products, but I am not affiliated with them. I am a happy customer, that's all.

As far as what you are insinuating, you are WAY off the mark and yes you should sincerely apologize. You need to READ what I was replying to, not just my posts. Then maybe my posts would make more sense to you

For example the one, I said I have BOTH a ProMax Jib and the Studio 1 jib and that NEITHER would bend. Wow, I must have been plugging ProMax too. Simply because I mentioned their name.

As far as the Varizoom controller that didn't fit my needs and the Studio 1 did, was simply because the Varizoom was a rocker style zoom controller and the Studio 1 is a select the zoom speed and press and hold the button for the zoom. I couldn't use a rocker style as any movement I made caused the zoom speed to change for my application.

Since then I have purchased another model Varizoom and I am happy with it. Opps, I just gave a plug to Varizoom……

In another post, some one asked what zoom controllers would work with the Canon XH-A1. I posted back the Studio 1 did because, I had let someone borrow it for there XH-A1 and it worked them. Did they end up buying a Studio 1 zoom controller, no. They bought the Bogen. When I made the post I knew the Studio 1 zoom controller worked with the XH-A1. I didn't know which other zoom controllers worked because I only lent the Studio 1 zoom controller. I didn't know if Canon did something different to the LANC port. All I knew is the Studio 1 worked and that was my reply. Nothing more, nothing less.

I only make replies to things I have first hand knowledge of. It's too easy to make a mistake like you did when you said, the VSB3 was not made specifically for the EX3, when it was.

.In my original post, it was just to say that their is another option out there for a shoulder brace for the EX3 that hadn't been mentioned. That's all. Nothing more. I didn't even say it was a great design or anything like that. I wouldn't know, I have used it yet. I just said, and I quote:

"I see that Studio 1 Productions has a shoulder brace for the EX3. It is also featured in Vortex Media's EX3 instructional video. Looks pretty good." Oh my god. I plugged the Vortex Media's EX3 video. Shame on me.... :)

And I believe, I posted both web site addresses. Hmmmm, maybe I work for Vortex… and I am plugging the video… No I don‘t work for Vortex either.

I have tried a couple of other shoulder braces. Some worked for me, some didn't. (The ones I didn't like, I dont' post anything negative about them, because I realize that other people may have a different opinion of the product.) I ended up keeping the Varizoom and Studio 1 shoulder braces. I use both of them, but with different cameras.

Oh, wait, was that a plug for Varizoom..... :)

Like I said before, I own the EX1 and the VSB1 shoulder brace.

However, I am purchasing the EX3 before the end of the year. That is why I purchased the Vortex DVD on the EX3. Opps, there I going mentioning Vortex. I gotta quit plugging their videos by mentioning them.

Like I said before, I agree with you on the simple design, but they are not cheaply made. Since I do own the VSB1, so I do know what I am talking about first hand, since I was told (by you know what company) the VSB3 is just a modified version of the VSB1.

If you go back and read my posts, you will see I never mentioned anything about the price of the shoulder brace. Maybe because I agree with you. :) Although, I did buy the VSB1, I would have liked it to be a little less expensive, but I did buy it. I try not to post a lot of negative information.

As far as the Studio 1 as a company. The have helped me out several times over the years, most recently was when I was making a LANC adapter cable for a Sony camera. The new AVCHD Sony camcorders have a "D" pin connection for the LANC and A/V. Even though they sell an adapter cable that they make (and it is expensive, which they have admitted), they helped me with the wiring on one that I was making myself. I even posted that information this board for others who want to make their own adapter cable.

Bottom line, I, me, ROB, does not post about products I don't own or at least haven't worked with. That's all.

I was just setting the record straight about the VSB3 was made specifically for the EX3.

THE END.... :)

Now let just move on. Rob
Old October 21st, 2008, 02:04 AM   #28
Major Player

The Varizoom LSP shoulderbrace is a great piece of gear. It is highly adjustable which really gives it a personal fit. It's very well built yet very light and can be folded for easy transport.

I own one and have used it for years in combination with the Z1, which is comparable in size to the EX1. The EX3 is of course a larger animal but since the Varizoom LSP allows for so much adjustment, I expect the same ease and comfort.

Jeroen
Old October 21st, 2008, 08:36 AM   #29
Regular Crew

I agree with you about the Varizoom brace. Have you tried it with the EX3?
I was wondering how well it works with the EX3.

I am from the old Betacam days, where the camera sits on the shoulder and your right hand in holding the camera while the left is used for focusing, etc. I am much more comfortable that way.

So I am wondering how well you can hold the camera as I just descibed with the Varizoom brace and the EX3?

This was why I was looking at the "other" shoulder brace. From the video it looks like what I want it to do.

Rob
Old October 29th, 2008, 07:48 AM   #30
New Boot

Camera supports that are solid, versatile and at the right price

Hello,

I wasn’t sure if my post will be too "commercial" for this discussion. I will go ahead anyway. Just tell me if this post is not welcome and I'll remove it.

We sell camera supports that are well built, solid, versatile and at the right price. See all the details on:

Shop eBay Canada Store - Shape WLB Inc:: Camera support, stabilizer grip handle rig

Charles-Antoine
Shape WLB Inc.
Charles-Antoine Caron is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports