shoulder support for EX3? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 29th, 2008, 12:01 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Hi Charles-Antoine

Your shoulder brace looks pretty good. Does is work with the EX3, as far as being able to align it so your are looking into the EX3 eye piece with out any problems?

The price is great.

Rob
Rob Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 12:04 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Hey Jeroen,

I posted a question to you...

"I agree with you about the Varizoom brace. Have you tried it with the EX3?
I was wondering how well it works with the EX3.

I am from the old Betacam days, where the camera sits on the shoulder and your right hand in holding the camera while the left is used for focusing, etc. I am much more comfortable that way."

Have you tried the EX3 with the Varizoom brace?

Rob
Old October 29th, 2008, 06:50 PM   #33
New Boot

Spider camera support for the Sony PMW-EX3

Hello Rob,

The best support for the Sony PMW-EX3 is the Spider camera support:

Shape Spider - camera support steadycam grip Panasonic - (eBay.ca item 180302920126 end time 03-Nov-08 19:12:37 EST)

The Spider camera support was designed for cameras that are higher than standard cameras. When wearing the Spider camera support, the camera platform can be positioned between 4" (10 cm) and 5-3/4" (14 cm) below your shoulder tip. That is, the base of your camera will be positioned between 4" (10 cm) and 5-3/4" (14 cm) below your shoulder tip.

In addition, the camera is attached using a standard 1/4-20 camera screw knob accessible through a 3" (7.5 cm) slot. The camera can be positioned nearer of farther from you by up to 3" (7.5 cm).

Coincidentally, we actually have a Sony PMW-EX3 with us and it works great with the Spider camera.

Next week, we will start selling (in our eBay store) a new version of the Spider camera support with a telescopic support arm. It’s the same telescopic support arm as used with the Coyote camera support:

Shape Coyote - camera stabilizer support Sony Panasonic - (eBay.ca item 180302835715 end time 01-Nov-08 13:16:39 EDT)

Hope this helps,

Charles-Antoine
Shape WLB Inc.
Charles-Antoine Caron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 07:54 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Hi Charles-Antoine

Thanks for the info. I will check it out on ebay.

Rob
Old November 24th, 2008, 04:23 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Taylor View Post
Hey Jeroen,

I posted a question to you...

"I agree with you about the Varizoom brace. Have you tried it with the EX3?
I was wondering how well it works with the EX3.

I am from the old Betacam days, where the camera sits on the shoulder and your right hand in holding the camera while the left is used for focusing, etc. I am much more comfortable that way."

Have you tried the EX3 with the Varizoom brace?

Rob
Sorry, Rob, I was busy and apparently not subscribed to this thread. I decided to buy the EX1 after all.
The reason I came back here was because I was looking at info on the EX1, started to read the reactions to Adam Wilt's review of the EX1 and behold!... there you were with a classic contribution:

"Adam, that is a great review. I want to pass on a shoulder brace that I found that is specifically designed for the Sony PMW EX1. I have been using it for a few days now and love it.
Here is the link:
VSB1 Video Camera Shoulder Brace VSB-1 ideal for the Sony PMW-EX1 XDCAM EX - Sony EX-1 - Sony EX1

I hope this helps other EX1 owners
Rob"

You have to agree that's funny.

But to answer your question. No, I have not tried it with the EX3. As mentioned, I just bought the EX1 because compact/lowkey/lightweight outweighs the benefits of the EX3 for me at the moment.

Jeroen
Jeroen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 09:34 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Hi Jeroen,

I just got my EX3 this past weekend to go with my EX1. I am still practicing with it. For my tastes it definitely needs a shoulder brace. I did make my VSB1 work with it by modifying it. For me the EX3 feels so much more comfortable resting on top of the shoulder. But, then again, that comes from years of using Betacam equipment.

I hope you enjoy your EX1. It is a great camera.

Best Regards
Rob
Old December 4th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #37
Major Player

Charles-Antoine,
I really like the look of the HAND3 double articulated handle on some of your rigs. Would you ever sell that pieces itself? Also it be awesome if these pieces can be adapted to work on 15mm rods.

min
Min Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 04:58 PM   #38
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min Lee View Post
Charles-Antoine,
I really like the look of the HAND3 double articulated handle on some of your rigs. Would you ever sell that pieces itself? Also it be awesome if these pieces can be adapted to work on 15mm rods.

min
Hello Min,

Yes, it is possible to purchase the HAND3 double articulated handle for $139.99CAD ($111.27US) plus shipping fees.

There is probably an adaptor to attach a rod to a 1/4" camera screw. I will look for this and come back you.

Regards,

Charles-Antoine
Shape WLB Inc.
Old December 12th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #39
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min Lee View Post
Charles-Antoine,

min
Hello Min,

I'm still searching for an adaptor to attach a 1/4-20 camera screw to a 15mm rod.

Can you give more details about the 15mm rod? Would it be by any chance part of a matte box support? An example would be the following item:

0DSSB15JV Century Optics DV Matte Box Support for the JVC-DV500 with 15mm rods

Regards,

Charles-Antoine
Shape WLB Inc.
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:39 PM   #40
Major Player

zacuto

after much consideration, I plunked down the cash for the zacuto shoulder mount setup.

I justified this purchase because of it's expandability and compatibility with just about any gear i would probably buy in the foreseeable future.

I bought the universal mount with the twelve inch rails.
the shoulder pad with the seven inch rails.
the double mount with the 7 inch rails.
the red plate.

I will be adding the vmount
double v mount with tap.
ex3 cable for camera and on board light.
and the wireless plate.

for my needs now it will basically be a shouldermount with tons of battery power, also the batteries and wireless plate will bring the front end up for better balance.

when and if I get the dof adapter i will add the necessary parts.
I got the first 4 items used at a good savings in the marketplace, and will order the rest from bhphoto tomorrow.

I used to be a new cameraman so I am used to the weight of a heavy rig and i always thought the lighter rigs were more of a handful.

my 2 cents

greg
Greg Chisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 01:48 AM   #41
Tourist

I've just added a larger size model to product line to accommodate the Sony cameras Ex1, 3, & 5 and will be adding it to my website shortly. My system works better then anything out there and the basic platform is $89.50 and is $129.50 with the accessory bar for holding mics, mixer, and light. It is made so all attachments are on board and can be taken on and off a tripod.
Thomas McTeer, inventor of the Scorpion Support.

www.scorpionsupport.com
Thomas McTeer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports