Steady Tracker Xtreme at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports

Old March 3rd, 2005, 09:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Steady Tracker Xtreme

What's the opinion on the Steady Tracker Xtreme for the smaller cameras (GL2, XL2's, etc.)?
Jay Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2005, 03:53 PM   #2
Major Player

.. It has no gimble.

- So really, stick your camera on your tripod, extend the center post some, then hold it loosly in your hand with the pan head resting on you hand which is around the post.
- And your's will be worth more because it will double as a tripod :-P

..ok, that was really harsh. Just my 2 cents.

- Mikko
Old March 3rd, 2005, 03:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

You know what Mikko... that is what I was wondering because I have done that with my tripod and the shots aren't half bad. Have you used the Steady Tracker before? I still wonder if it is exactly the same as using my tripod or is better in some way.

Jay
Jay Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2005, 04:13 PM   #4
Major Player

I haven't used the Steady tracker, but based on pics and a demo video i'v seen (which granted, all demos are about the operator not the gear...)

I really woulnd't spend any of my money on one. - i'd rahter spend the money on a better tripod! ;-)

If you are in the market for something a little better then look into something with a Gimble. - That's what makes a world of difference.

- Though I have done some perfecly good moving shots (including from a car) with the tripod trick. Watch my demo reel at http://stendec.n3.net - the first shot of "part 2" (of the runners at night) is shot with the tripod trick. With an XL1, and a small handycam (for monitor) and a couble of old batteries for counterwieght. - And that made local Broadcast.

- Mikko
Old March 3rd, 2005, 04:31 PM   #5
Regular Crew

One reviewer's opinion

Stephen Schleicher's opinion.
David Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2005, 05:09 PM   #6
Major Player

yeah, the video clip in that review is what I was talking about actually.
As a Steadicam operator, all I can say about that footage is that if he calls that "steady" then I'd hate to see what isn't. - granted, there is little vibration, but it's certainly not steady.

On a side note: In that review the author mentions that big Steadicam's have Gyro's in them. That's a misconception, they don't. - Though sometimes Gyro's are used as an accessory, for example in windly conditions or on bumpy vehicle shots.

If the price quote in the review is still acurate at $299
I would MUCH rather get myself a Steadicam JR (www.BHphotovideo.com lists the 'lite' model without a screen at $349) - ok it's $50 more.. but well the JR really does work almost as well as the big boys, but for smaller cameras.
Also it's MUCH lighter, so you won't have a problem shooting with it for longer. It will work perfectly with a GL2. But unfortunatly it won't fly a XL camera.
...you can also shell out a little more and get the one with the monitor if you like.

- Mikko.
Old March 25th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Stevens View Post
What's the opinion on the Steady Tracker Xtreme for the smaller cameras (GL2, XL2's, etc.)?
ok so sorry to bump this, it's getting a little old...

I just got my steadytracker (Ultra lite) and I was pretty anxious to find out how it would perform. I had some minor issues while putting it together, it didn't help that their instructions consisted of a 3 minute video of some guy putting the thing together. There's really no thorough explanation on how to put the thing together.

I also had a problem with the main shaft falling out of the bottom counter weight. This sucks. I had to pretty much break my hand to tighten the thing down. I may put a few loops of tape around the metal to make it fit more snug. If this thing fell out in action, it would send my $3k camera to the cement. Not fun.

So one I had the thing balanced, I tried it out. The first thing that I realized, is that it's going to take some practice to get used to. I somewhat had an issue with this, because half of me thinks that the thing should work out of the box, without "building my arm strength" or "practice". The other half of me is in awe that i actually got the thing! ( it was back-ordered).

Overall I will just have to see how it handles after I get outside and play with it a little. Hopefully it lives up to the hype. As of now it's about a 3/5 stars in my opinion.
Jason Linn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 12:08 AM   #8
New Boot

I just got a SteadyTracker Ultralite for my Canon 5D MarkII.

So far, I have not had any problems Jason had.

In fact, I didn't even look at the instructions.

Here's two test clips I shot on the first day I got the SteadyTracker. No practice. I just set it up, balanced it, and ran outside with my daughters.

I have to say, I think it works much better than expected. I am sure with practice I will get better, but even with no practice, it really works. For some shots I was running almost full speed!

On the second clip, I also shot some of it with the SteadyTracker upside down. I think the low angles look really cool.

SteadyTracker Ultralite 5D MarkII Tests

-Darin
Darin Fong Photography
Darin Fong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 02:26 PM   #9
Major Player

Sorry to bump this again, but I was wondering how this device was working now. Digital Juice has a special on the ultralite for $139 and the Extreme for $199. Are either of them worth spening the mony on. I am using an FX1 and PD150.?
Old November 29th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #10
New Boot

Hi Terry...I just saw this thread. I use the Steady Tracker Extreme on my XH-A1s, and I have to say I'm not as impressed with it as I thought I would be. I recently used it on a wedding shoot on a crowded dancefloor. The large base (legs) kept getting bumped by people, chairs, etc....SO, there goes the steady shot I was after. It does work fine on outdoor shoots where there is plenty of room to move around. However, after reading up on Glidecams, Steadycams, etc...I will be going with a model with a gimbal in the near future.
Old November 29th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #11
New Boot

Terry,

I love the convenience of the Steady Tracker, but it does not work nearly as well as a gimbal stabilizer.

I bought a Blackbird and like it much better for steady shots. But it's a total pain since you can;t set it down and you have to change weights and get the balance just right. I miss the "run-n-gun" of the Steadytracker.

-Darin
Darin Fong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports