Tripod modular DSLR rig at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 19th, 2010, 05:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Tripod modular DSLR rig

Not sure that this is the right section for this, but here goes.
I've been trying to find a solution to using a handheld rig with my GH1, which I can hike with and travel lightly, but still bring along my tripod. I know a few people have tried the sling the tripod on shoulder technique, but I think I've come up with a better solution ( well for me at least ).

I've called this rig the Ripley, which if you try this set up, then you'd guess why. Basically I'm using the centre column of the tripod with a 501 head on and then just tilting down the pan bar to shoulder mount it. To handhold, I added a bike handle to the base of the column and then using a bungee cord, put this over my shoulder or attach it to my backpack harness. It allows me to wear the camera and makes handholding when shooting from the hip, less straining.
I've started to do a write up on it on my site Chill Factor films - BLOG and will hopefully post some video of it in use in the next few days, if anyone is interested.

Here are two videos ( one is extremely rough! ) of the rig in use. The stock car footage was mostly long lenses, but I was able to shoot both from the hip and the shoulder.

Old May 21st, 2010, 11:43 PM   #2
Major Player

That's pretty slick. Nice work, and very creative.

I wish I could use a similar setup w/ my Canon 7D, but it has a fixed LCD, so everything has to be at eye-level.
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:09 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Cheers Brian,

I've been playing with adding more accessories to the rig and trying to get something that's well balanced. I think it might be possible to load a 7D, rods, matte box and small external monitor and still balance it up. Shorter and more heavy duty cords, combined with a little added weight at the rear could work.

I'm also using this set up as a shoulder rig too, which to me is the beauty of it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports