MiniDV Shoulder Brace - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 20th, 2003, 09:33 AM   #16
Wrangler

I have a knock-off of this model (MightywonderCam). I think they used to sell for $299, not $99. I got mine used for a bit less than that. I rarely use it anymore with my Canon XL1. $99 is about what it's worth, IMHO. If I had to do it again, I think I might have bought the other one.

You can add more foam to the shoulder area. Go to Home Depot.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 09:07 AM   #17
Regular Crew

so i ordered a varizoom vz-1 from zotz to use at a dog show last weekend. here's my quick breakdown, keeping in mind that i only put the thing on for the last hour of a 4 hour shoot since prior to that my arms weren't too tired to keep the camera steady:

pros:
light, easy to adjust, kept the camera stable.

cons:
not enough pressure on your shoulder ( your arm still carries the weight ), must contort entire torso to change shot, i was too cheap to buy the zoom controller ( bad me ).

conclusion:
a good thing to have in the kit for when you need it, but not something i'm going to shoot with every time. also, did not replace need for steadicam. =)
Old March 6th, 2003, 11:01 AM   #18
Major Player

I agree completely with your assessment. What'd you think about the price? I removed the handle on my shoulder brace and started using the grips from my matte box instead, which extends to where the former handle used to be. I'd like to post a picture but the forums don't support this feature.

Have to go to Home Depot for the foam suggestion, thanks Dylan.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 08:51 AM   #19
Regular Crew

i got the shoulder brace for $99 at zotz, seemed reasonable.

re: foam, the Home Depots here in LaLaLand don't carry foam anymore strangely enough. but there is a great place called Diamond Foam on La Brea, just south of Wilshire. i got foam cut for 2 cases for $40. they'll do from 1-6" thick and as much cutting as you want for that price. if you're not in LA, check upholstery supply stores ( if you can't get your foam at Home Depot ).
Old March 9th, 2003, 08:14 AM   #20
Major Player

Thanks for the tips, Brian. Was that $99 with shipping?
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2003, 09:11 PM   #21
Regular Crew

no, but the thing is really light. i got that plus an ME66/K6 overnight and the shipping was $36.
Old March 17th, 2003, 04:48 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Anyone try this?

http://www.cullmann-foto.de/english/...zial/2702.html
Marc Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2003, 08:18 PM   #23
Major Player

my favoured R&G support is the following

a leather pouch style tool belt (from handiyman store)
a manfrotto 434 monopod
a ball head with QR plate

connect camera to the ball head, then the ball head to the monopod then place the monopod in one of the tool belt pouches

adjust the belt to have that pouch in the crotch area

this way the camera weight is taken on the hips and is much easier to control and also allows for a more natural height of shooting from the chest area (I am over 6 foot tall and shoulder shots are too high)

when finished the monopod can be stowed in the hammer bay of the tool belt

tool belt is also used for filters, WA lens, tapes and batteries

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 06:06 AM   #24
Inner Circle

I have had the screws from the shoulder pad to the cam arm get loose. They're small. I carry a set of hex head wrenchs all the time and can tighten them up. The last time I did I used a bit of thread goop (I forget the real name) and haven't had a problem since. I use theshoulder brace lots and lots so I kinda expected it to loosen up but it's never hurt me on the job
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 07:01 AM   #25
Trustee

I agree about the bolts on mine... they are harder to tighten than they should be, but overall, the thing is light, durable, and pretty darn comfy.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2003, 01:59 AM   #26
Regular Crew

I ended up making a very simple but effective shoulder brace for about $20 in parts from Home Depot. All prices are in Canadian.

I already had a Manfrotto Super Clamp ($40) and a Varizoom VZ-Pro-L controller so I only needed to buy a few extra parts from Home Depot.

3 foot 1 inch square aluminum tubing with plastic end caps ($12)
3 inch C clamp ($4)
2 inch C clamp ($4)

The 3" C clamp attaches to the front left of the tube and becomes your left hand grip. The 2" C clamp attaches to the front right of the tube and the Varizoom attaches to it. The Super Clamp can be attached anywhere along the tube. I have a Manfrotto 501 quick release plate that's attached to the Clamp so it's very easy to move the camera from tripod to shoulder brace. The camera can also "swivel" because of the way the QR plate attaches to the Clamp. It makes more sense when you see how a Super Clamp works.

The tube can be cut to length anywhere you want. I just extended both my arms to what I thought would be a maximum comfortable length and left about 4" overhanging my shoulder. I purposely did not make a special shoulder rest but prefer the tube to rest anywhere on my shoulder.

For a really stable shot, I can pull both my arms in close to my chest or if my arms start to get tired. Another way to hold the brace is with your left hand on the C clamp and your right in the normal hand grip of the camera. I don't know if this is possible with the design of some of the commercial shoulder braces that I've seen.

Since everything clamps together in a few minutes, everything goes in my camera bag except for a 30" aluminum square tube.

If anyone's interested, I can send them a picture.
Chris Mah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2003, 11:26 AM   #27
Wrangler

I'd like to see a pic!

the_klenzer@hotmail.com

Thanks!
Old May 21st, 2003, 12:12 PM   #28
Major Player

Me too!

meridianm@comcast.net

Thanks.
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2003, 05:04 PM   #29
Trustee

Me as well, Thanks
beaser@eudoramail.com
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2003, 12:17 AM   #30
Obstreperous Rex

Chris, sounds like this should be an article for the dvinfo.net website. If you can email pics to me, I'll post them along with your description, if you're up for it.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports