Video tour for New website - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old October 6th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #16
Major Player

The girl is hot, but what is more important, she did her job perfectly. Dang, I knew she was a professional. Leave the lip biting, it is soooo cute and sexy, just trim half a second AFTER the biting.

The whole thing looks perfect to me. The only gripe I have that you used the same transition twice: you show the girl, then the girl within the page, then you click a link and bring some boring list instead of the girl. Looked ok for the first time, but for the second time not so.

Otherwise, great!
Michael Jouravlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Jouravlev View Post
The girl is hot, but what is more important, she did her job perfectly. Dang, I knew she was a professional. Leave the lip biting, it is soooo cute and sexy, just trim half a second AFTER the biting.

The whole thing looks perfect to me. The only gripe I have that you used the same transition twice: you show the girl, then the girl within the page, then you click a link and bring some boring list instead of the girl. Looked ok for the first time, but for the second time not so.

Otherwise, great!
I think you'd prefer he just remove the website completely, am I right? :P
Eric Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Seems like I could make an "all spokes model version" and that wouldn't be such a bad thing.
Travis Binkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 04:17 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Binkle View Post
Seems like I could make an "all spokes model version" and that wouldn't be such a bad thing.
Nah, you could not. After all, you are advertising a website, not a girl. You wanted to keep male viewers glued to the screen, so you put a hot girl up. But she does not bring a bit of extra information, while website screenshots do. For purely informational purposes a voiceover would have been enough and you could use an ugly girl with nice voice for probably ten times cheaper.

I hate myself for watching your video till the end despite your cheap trick, and for watching it once again just right after that. Lip biting, ummm! Sexy.
Old October 9th, 2007, 11:23 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Nah, you could not. After all, you are advertising a website, not a girl. You wanted to keep male viewers glued to the screen, so you put a hot girl up. But she does not bring a bit of extra information, while website screenshots do. For purely informational purposes a voiceover would have been enough and you could use an ugly girl with nice voice for probably ten times cheaper.

I hate myself for watching your video till the end despite your cheap trick, and for watching it once again just right after that. Lip biting, ummm! Sexy.

Actually my last quote was more of a joke for you, than an actual consideration. I don't think of her as a cheap trick either. I'm certainly not the first person to use a Spokes model. It's more of an advertising fact that the video will be viewed more with her in it than without. Besides, if the site takes off, I know they plan on using a male version too, for future announcements.
Old October 10th, 2007, 12:14 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Actually my last quote was more of a joke for you, than an actual consideration.
I got it, don't you worry.
Quote:
I don't think of her as a cheap trick either. I'm certainly not the first person to use a Spokes model. It's more of an advertising fact that the video will be viewed more with her in it than without.
Sex sells, sex sell. Everyone knows that. And it IS a cheap trick, based on pure human nature. I am not blaming you for that, this is what everyone is doing. She's cute, I watched your ad twice.
Quote:
Besides, if the site takes off, I know they plan on using a male version too, for future announcements.
Right, IF the site takes off. For it to take off they are using a girl. Figures.
Old October 10th, 2007, 03:28 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
I got it, don't you worry.
You obviously didn't get it, otherwise you wouldn't have felt the need to tell me my business, twice in fact. I understand how the world works. I'm not some kid fresh out of school.

Quote:

You mentioned many times about her being "sexy" and I was merely adding to Eric's post to you, about removing the website completely.

Thanks for your comments Michael, but this is the last I will discuss these issues here, as I don't feel this thread is headed in a direction worthy of this board.
Old October 10th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #23
Major Player

I stand by my original comments. She did a great job with it, and you did a great job on the video. She's not trying to be sexy, she's just being natural and describing a product and does a great job of that.

No need to make it out to be a late night tv chat line advertisement. She's not playing it that way at all.

Nice work Travis, again. :)
Old October 10th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Thanks Eric. Maybe I flew off the handle there, but your right, that we didn't play it out "sexy" I guess when I hear "IS a cheap trick" I sorta took offense to it. I mean, it's not like she was in a bikini and talking all seductively.

Anyway I'd rather focus on what people think it's worth money wise. What you think you could expect to pay and/or charge for a job like this. I know I gave them more than what they paid for as their budget was small. But they have plans of doing more video and I can't do them all for as little as this one. I was looking for others in the field to give there opinions on the matter and maybe share the thread with them after, but obliviously I won't be doing that now, though I would still be interested in thoughts on the matter.
Old October 10th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #25
Major Player

Hey no problem. It wasn't a GoDaddy ad, after all. ;)

As far as cost.. Geez, I don't really know. How many hours did you put into it? Did you have to rent/buy anything to do the job? How much did the spokesperson cost? What is your usual hourly/project rate?

I guess it's really just basic math. It's tough to say 'well it looks like a $500 ad' or whatever, because only you know what went into making this work. $500 may be too little, given that there's another person involved, and she probably commands a decent bit of change, so that was just an example, not meant to imply a value for it.

Give us some figures and maybe we can give you an idea of it. And how much did you bill them and what was the agreement for future work?

Also regarding future work, you mentioned going with a male in the future. I personally think that this person should be the 'face' of the website. Instead of changing people from time to time, it would be good to stick with one person. Or add a second (male), if the site is geared towards females as well. Using the home gym ads as a reference, they want men and women to be interested in the home gym, so they show men and women using it. It's like clockwork how they edit them too. 2 or 3 seconds of the guy, then 2 or 3 seconds of the girl, showing the same exercise with each of them. Then they take turns talking to each other and the audience about what makes this one so special and easy, etc.

Chuck Norris should run for president. :)
Old October 10th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Binkle
You obviously didn't get it, otherwise you wouldn't have felt the need to tell me my business, twice in fact. I understand how the world works. I'm not some kid fresh out of school.
I obviously got it, and I am not telling you your business, had no intention to. You posted the link for others to watch and to leave an opinion, this is what I did, I left my opinion as a viewer. I really don't care are you some kid fresh out of school or not. I praised your work if you haven't noticed.
Quote:
You mentioned many times about her being "sexy"
Isn't she?
Quote:
Maybe I flew off the handle there, but your right, that we didn't play it out "sexy"
Why is she wearing a tight top then? I am not a prude, and she is not topless, but I consider this piece to have a clear sexual overtone, this is how I see it. Again, NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.
Quote:
I guess when I hear "IS a cheap trick" I sorta took offense to it. I mean, it's not like she was in a bikini and talking all seductively.
No, she is not in bikini. She just wears a tight top, she's young, attractive, with good makeup, and she bites her lip ;-) As I said before, she does not provide a bit of extra information compared to a simple voiceover. Well, maybe only to emphasize that the website can host videos too.
Quote:
Anyway I'd rather focus on what people think it's worth money wise.
And now I have to shut up. I just had to clarify my opinion so you was not taking it as offence or attack. Obviously, your customer is happy to have a pretty girl instead of just boring web pages. I LOVED your work too. Really, really.
Old October 10th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Again, thanks for your input Michael, I'm not holding any grudges or anything. I appreciate the time you took to comment and your input.

And when Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down.
Old October 11th, 2007, 08:25 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
And when Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down.
Exactly. If you're going to include a guy in the next ones, it has to be that caliber of man/machine. :)
Old October 11th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Shepherd View Post
Exactly. If you're going to include a guy in the next ones, it has to be that caliber of man/machine. :)
I'll do my best to pitch that to my clients using statments like: "His tears could probably be sold as an ultimate energy drink..."

Too bad Chuck Norris has never cried.

Ever.
Old October 11th, 2007, 11:58 AM   #30
Major Player

Well no, but then when you use hot sauce for eye drops, how could you?
Eric Shepherd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work