Shadow Land feature promo - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old November 26th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #31
Major Player

I think the text works, its just it needs to relate to what we are seeing. Change it up a bit to mention more about a looming feeling of death in the air or something more along those lines. Its funny I can tell I liked the 'trailer' because i can really dig into it. Even with my own work I can`t look at it like that since I see it every day. But again I`d say to add that transition maybe on the beginning with a company logo, then zap transmission transition again into the beginning of it. That way the other will feel it belongs there. Don`t toss the idea out until you test all its options ;) And if you don`t like it then....toss it in the trash. I don`t think I`ll be in the neighborhood for a few years yet heh, unless my production company blasts off next year ;)
Old November 26th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #32
Major Player

I was thinking in order to get away with the whole "these aint British issue weapons" problem why not write something into the script. In a similar way that was used in Dog Soldiers (but for different reasons). Remember when they ditch the SA80s and grab the MP5s instead. Just an idea.
Dave Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:16 AM   #33
Major Player

Hey Nathan i just rememberd i actually shot a prototype of the end sequence in the promo on my own a while back, I set it up shot it and acted in it myself back when the film was called "the barracks". It has some text running through it about looming death, check it out and see what you think.

the savefile link doesn't work anymore but the livedigital one does.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=82524

That could be an idea Dave but i think i have a cunning plan! we see them at the start checking their gear and re loading and we see they don't have much ammo, what i think might be a good way to go is to have them find some ww2 british issue lee enfields in a store in one of the old buildings. That could introduce some nice scenes where they try to fire 60 year old weapons not knowing if they'll work or not......good tension.

Cheers
Andy.
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:40 AM   #34
Major Player

Hey good idea! I like it. How's about some ole, dodgy "when's it gonna go off" grenades too?
Dave Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:46 AM   #35
Major Player

nice! i like your thinking. This is why i love this site, id never of thought of the lee enfield thing if someone hadn't questioned the guns.

cheers
Andy.
Old November 27th, 2007, 05:15 AM   #36
Major Player

Just viewed your 'pre-promo' barracks vid Andy - that's really well done also (love the 'shining-esque' plane shots).
That was shot 4:3 and cropped right...how have you filmed shadowland - stock fujinon lens (although this time HDV 720p25)?
I noticed your mattebox and follow focus - I have just 'built' a fake mattebox for the time being but looking eventually to get the real thing and certainly a follow focus unit (whichever reasonably affordable model fits the HD100).

Really helpful posts.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #37
Major Player

yea I like the alluding to horror without knowing whats going on...its a nice teaser, but not enough to pull an audience into it I don`t think. I do however think something like that could get melded nicely with what you have for Shadow Land to make it even more intruiging and really get people wanting to knwo what the h-ll is going on. Make us nervous ;)
Old November 28th, 2007, 03:41 AM   #38
Major Player

David, you're right the barracks thing was shot in 4x3 and cropped, i had various tests set up that day shooting in all the hd100's settings but i quickly found out how unfit i was! i ran a few times in SD 4x3 and called it a day cause i was knackered!.

Shadow Land was shot HDV25p with stock lense which in my opinion is the best looking progressive scan iv ever seen.

My matte box is a formatt that i got from ebay for about £90 and the follow focus is from cinequipt also bought from ebay for about £300.There is only one focus pull in the promo so im not sure the £300 is quite justified! ah well it lookes good.

Andy.
Old November 28th, 2007, 04:24 AM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Graham View Post
David, you're right the barracks thing was shot in 4x3 and cropped, i had various tests set up that day shooting in all the hd100's settings but i quickly found out how unfit i was! i ran a few times in SD 4x3 and called it a day cause i was knackered!.

Shadow Land was shot HDV25p with stock lense which in my opinion is the best looking progressive scan iv ever seen.

My matte box is a formatt that i got from ebay for about £90 and the follow focus is from cinequipt also bought from ebay for about £300.There is only one focus pull in the promo so im not sure the £300 is quite justified! ah well it lookes good.

Andy.
That's a great (and honest) excuse re the 4:3 Andy!
£90 isn't all that bad is for a matte-box (compared to what you could pay) - did you use any filters with this box - I recall reading this box wasn't too accepting of rotating filters....?

It's funny you should mention the focus pull in the promo - it did indeed stand out and somebody I showed this too mentioned it also. Extremely difficult to achieve if you don't own such apparatus (I can attest!).
Old November 28th, 2007, 04:45 AM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scattergood View Post
I recall reading this box wasn't too accepting of rotating filters....?
yeah its not the best of matte boxes, iv had trouble puting filters in it a few times, i don't use filters myself cause i do everything in post but iv had jobs where iv had to use some pro mist filters.

As a matte box i wouldnt recommend it but as a sunshade it looks good and keeps the light out.

BTW i for got to mention i cropped the HDV 16:9 to 2:35:1 in shadow land cause i just prefer it.

Andy
Old November 28th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Graham View Post
yeah its not the best of matte boxes, iv had trouble puting filters in it a few times, i don't use filters myself cause i do everything in post but iv had jobs where iv had to use some pro mist filters.

As a matte box i wouldnt recommend it but as a sunshade it looks good and keeps the light out.

BTW i for got to mention i cropped the HDV 16:9 to 2:35:1 in shadow land cause i just prefer it.

Andy
I may hang fire with that type of matte box then Andy...to be honest I've just DIY'd up a very cheap sunshade which works quite well...I might post it in the DIY section!
I was going to ask about the ratio - did you tape/add air over parts of the viewfinder/LCD - and how you work out 2:35:1 when cropping?

As for the content I'd echo what others mentioned about the text and typography at the end (it was a little 'gothic horror' for me)...but I'm itching to see more now Andy! Get yer skates on :)

Cheers.
Old November 29th, 2007, 04:51 AM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scattergood View Post
I'm itching to see more now Andy! Get yer skates on :)
Yeah Im dying to get back out into the field, my brains overflowing with ideas and cool shots

regarding the ratio i didn't have any 2:35:1 safe zone i just used the 16:9 safe zone cause when you use final cut pro to crop it it gives you the chance to re frame your shot so you have lee way. To actually perform the crop you go to "border" in the final cut effects bin and pick the 2:35:1 option from the list.

Andy.
Old December 4th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #43
Regular Crew

I will also keep it short and sweet: Brilliant.

The motion in the shots are fantastic, there is no overdone crane or dolly shots that seem out of place; it blends smoothly and doesn't try to show off. The colour at the beginning reminds me a lot of "Platoon"; dark, with a blue-ish-green hue. Fantastic work, I hope all goes well!
Old December 4th, 2007, 10:37 PM   #44
Major Player

Oliver thank you for watching, your input is most welcome. Even Mentioning my work in the same sentance as such a classic piece of movie history is an honour.

cheers
Andy.
Old January 15th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #45
New Boot

This looks creepy (and that's the way I like it.)

Best of luck with it!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work