Motion Pictures shot in miniDV? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old March 4th, 2002, 12:27 AM   #1
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

Keep eye out for "come together"

went to the san jose CINEQUEST film festival this weekend.
i was very impressed with the movies shot on DIGITAL ..
... the BEST looking movie i saw at the festival (make that in the past 3 weeks) was a film called "come together"

www.rocketchicken.com trailer

it was shot on a XL1 in 16x9 mode by Les Erskine ( The Sixth Day ) ... it was digitally projected on a screen approx 32 ft across at the san jose reportory theater ( as in plays are put on here) ... IMO they lit this Movie as if they were shooting 35mm. the night scenes are excellent. edited on FCP ... shot interlaced then in FCP they did the 24fps look then bump to digital beta and on top of it there is a pretty good story with very good actors/actresses ....

also went to a meeting called "the future is NOW" ... saw sony 500WS pal , pd150 NTSC , XL NTSC , 24P HD, 1080i HD clips digitally projected ... then saw similar but now transferred to 35mm and film projected - transfer by http://www.digitalfilmgroup.net/index.htm
they showed some clips shot on D9 if you want more then DVCAM take a look at it ...

the 24P HD was quite impressive ! when digital projected there was NO grain/noise - when transferred to FILM it did pick up grain . DP Francis Kenny was there with samples from "how high" which was shot on 24P and is playing in theaters BUT what you are seeing in theater he said had gone through the NEG to IP to dupe neg process ..we screened right off the 24P tape ..

there is alot being shot on 24P ..panavision has over 100 of these camera's and they are OUT of them on most days .

For some 24P will be another tool to use .. for others it will be used because of budget ....

NTSC/PAL was never meant to be on a 32ft screen ... but it can carry a story ..again for some it will be a tool - others because of budget ...

take a look at "come together" !

Last edited by Chris Hurd; March 4th, 2002 at 09:14 AM.
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2002, 05:01 PM   #2
Major Player

Other DV films

Check out "Time Code" and "Dancer in the Dark", both shot on DVCAM with DSR500's VX2000's PD150's and the dancing scenes in Dancer in the dark were filmed with a total of 100 DSR-PD100a's with Optix 16:9 lens adapters. Both movies are on DVD and both are worth watching. I bought "Dancer" (for Bjork).
I think there will be a trend towards DV in the future especially with big production studios feeling the squeeze from the current focus on independents. There is very little in the way of "ORIGINAL" material coming from Hollywood and I think the public is getting tired of seeing the same thing re-hashed over and over. There is something new and fresh about the way digital video displays life and I think that people will come to embrace the newness, either that or George Lucas will cram it down their throat with another Jar-Jar Stinks!
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2002, 10:19 AM   #3
Major Player

Bit of a long list, but heres a few more I've gathered were shot on DV.
Note that some have a dash (-) after them and state that it was also shot with another cam or another cam type (a couple where shot with a Beta aswell).

<DISCLAIMER> This list may not be accurate </DISCLAIMER>

DSR-500
-----------
The Anniversary Party
Jack The Dog
Original Kings Of Comedy
Things Behind The Sun

VX1000
-----------
Visitor Q
In The Family
Bamboozled
Waking Life
The Cruise
Book Of Life
Breakeven (Plus Minus Null)
Chuck & Buck
Could Be Worse
Everything Put Together
The Humiliated
The Idiots
The Last Broadcast - and other cameras
One Life Stand
Saltmen Of Tibet
Shucking The Curve
Southern Comfort
Trouble With Perpetual Deja-Vu
Waking Life
Windhorse - and Betacam

TRV900
----------
The Chateau
Lovers

PD100
----------
Chelsea Walls
Dancer in the Dark
Hotel - PD100/PD150
The King Is Alive
Last Word On Paradise
Startup.com - XL1/PD100
Wang Dang
Women In Film

PD150
---------
Manic
Hotel - PD100/PD150
Tape

XL1/s
---------
Full Frontal - (s)
Big Monday
Falling Like This
Final
I.K.U.
Julian Donkey Boy - 8 other cameras
Keep The River On Your Right: A Modern Cannibal Tale
Park - and Panasonic EZ1
Pinero
Some Body
Startup.com - XL1/PD100

Other DV / Unknown DV
-----------
Last Call
The Ballad of Ramblin' Jack

TV Shows
------------
Trigger Happy TV - vx1000
Jackass - variety including PD150/VX2000/XL1(s)
Flipped on MTV - PD150/DV500

Last edited by Dan C.; March 12th, 2002 at 02:28 PM.
Dan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2002, 12:56 PM   #4
Wrangler

One other TV show shot with Dv/DVcam:

(English)
Channel 4 - Driven: Sony PC110, PD150 and Betacam
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2002, 04:03 PM   #5
Major Player

When are PD150s used on Driven?
For the car interiors?
Dan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2002, 11:42 AM   #6
Wrangler

I believe that the PC110 is used for interior shots as well as a few other small DV cams.

The PD150 is usually given to the presenters to shoot from in the car and to do piece to cameras as well as cut a ways.

These might not be true but after watching the special edition in Sweden I believe they were the cameras which were used.

Please correct me if you think I am wrong.

All the best,

Ed
Old March 12th, 2002, 11:54 AM   #7
Wrangler

Sorry

Just realised I recorded that show.

I think I am wrong in saying that they used the PD150 – in fact they showed a picture of Mike Brewer holding a Sony DCR TRV900
*Mini DV* and said that they use it to record cut-a-ways.

He also said that because the temperature in Sweden is freezing a 1hour battery would only last a couple of minutes.

So, I was wandering how people on this forum, that live in very cold places cope with this problem?

All the best,

Ed
Old March 12th, 2002, 01:13 PM   #8
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hopefully "afterburner" will chime-in here since he's probably not even used his camera above freezing ;-).

In late Jan I spent a week shooting in the Banff / Lake Louise area of Alberta, Canada. As usual it was cold...real cold, with daytime temps hovering in the -20F range. I was using my GL1 on this trip but the procedure would have been the same with my XL1s. Knowing it was going to be instant-nose-hair-freezing I purchased a Porta Brace Polar case for the GL1. This is basically an insulated coverall tailored with closeable openings for the lens, viewfinder and hand. Mesh pockets are sewn strategically inside this case to hold Hot Hands heat packs. (By "strategically" I mean that pockets are positioned on the battery, on the side of the lens mechanism, on the side of the tape transport and over your hand.) This worked very well for me. The camera's batteries seemed to last a normal time and the lens' zoom only slowed after a prolonged period of shooting while the case's front was opened. (There's a removable insulated little nose warmer lens cap.)

Porta Brace also makes a Polar case for the XL1/XL1s, although you might need to forgo the MA-200 to use it. Interestingly, this is one of the few Porta Brace items in a color other than blue (it's black), presumably designed to soak-up any radiant heat frrom the sun.

You could probably rig some similar outfit with an old down jacket or other outdoor gear.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2002, 07:02 AM   #9
Major Player

I live in Sweden but do not have a problem with freezing cameras since I live in the capital Stockholm and we don't have a big problem with freezing over here.

However I do not think that freezing within limits only affects the life length of the batteries. You solve this problem by bringing more batteries to the shoot. When it is cold enough the tape will break as will film.

But there is another problem for you guys living in the tropics. CCDs are HEAVILY affacted by heat and this leads to constant back focus issues. In a camcorder where backfocus can not be adjusted this problem is unsolvable. People that have been shooting on 2/3" in deserts and great heat know what I'm talking about. This was a big problem on the Star Wars HD shoot. They where constantly checking back focus on those Panavision primes.
Old April 30th, 2002, 07:11 AM   #10
Wrangler

cheers for the note Martin,

I guess us XL1 users are buggered in tropical conditions, oh well now I know. I'll be careful if I ever get the lucky chance to film in hot or cold countries (if that would ever happen!!!!).

Cheers again,

Ed Smith
Old April 30th, 2002, 08:14 AM   #11
Trustee

Ken, sorry it's taken so long for me to chime in, I must have missed this one.

I've shot during winter in the mountains of Canada, New Zealand and Japan and during summer on Australia's Gold Coast beaches and never noticed any significant difference in performance of my XL1. The camera has always performed flawlessly and battery life has been maybe 15mins less in the cold.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2002, 01:24 PM   #12
New Boot

One more feature film title to add to the list of things shot in DV:
Italian for Beginners

Here's the Miramax website:
http://www.miramax.com/italianforbeginners/

don't know what camera(s) was used; anybody know?

I've not been to the movies in a little while, but look forward to catching this one at a local multiplex.

d.i.
Other Shore DVD
davidisrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2002, 02:05 PM   #13
Contributor

NTSC

How many on that list of DV films were shot NTSC? I believe STARTUP.COM was but I don't know of many others.
Chris Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2002, 03:22 PM   #14
New Boot

good question

Chris,

according to the Next Wave Films list of DV features --http://www.nextwavefilms.com/ulbp/bullfront.html

Rick Linklatter's WAKING LIFE was shot with a VX1000 (NTSC) -- so there's one (and a good one at that).

Scanning the list, I also find:
Atanarjuat (The Fast Runner) -- Digital Beta (NTSC)
The Ballad Of Ramblin’ Jack -- VX1000 (NTSC)
Better Living Through Circuitry -- VX1000 (NTSC)
Big Monday -- XL1 (NTSC)
Hal Hartley's fantastic Book of Life -- VX1000 (NTSC)

as well (kinda quick here) as:
Conceiving Ada
Could be Worse
The Cruise
Falling Like This
Ghengis Blues (but that's not DV; neither was Blair Witch, though it was NTSC)
I.K. U. -- XL1 (NTSC)
The Item
Jack the Dog
Keep the River on your Right -- XL1 (NTSC)
The Last Broadcast
Long Night's Journey into Day . . .

etc., etc. (that's just half way thru the alphabet)

cheers, d.i.
Other Shore DVD
davidisrael is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work