Digital Drive In at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old April 4th, 2002, 09:20 PM   #1
BBBOSSSS

Digital Drive In

Unique opportunity for beginning moviemakers.
Annual international shootout with a $5,000 bounty and a director job for the winner.

Please visit: http://www.digidrivein.com

If this post is not appropriate for this forum please excuse and remove.

Thank you
Old April 4th, 2002, 09:30 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

It's not inappropriate, but it would certainly carry a lot more weight if you gave a more specific location and posted with your real name.

Doing so is definitely not required, but it's a real good idea. Good luck,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2002, 09:47 PM   #3
BBBOSSSS

Digital Drive In

Hello Chris,
Thanks for the info, this is new to me.
The last thing I want to do is make anyone angry.
My name is Bobby Bragg, I am the owner of Digital Drive In.
I have worked in the entertainment Industry over twenty years as a stuntman then stunt coordinator.
Most of my career I have produced and directed my own movies.
It is difficult for beginning moviemakers to get a break.
The idea of Digital Drive In came to me while hanging with some friends.
I am connected in the B-industry deeply. We are not accepting money from potential entrants until we get a chance to review their materials.
I think Digital Drive In has great potential in the future.
We have had a great response so far. This is not any sort of scam.
Anyone interested can Check me out at the IMDB.com site.
There is a partial resume there.
Currently I am negotiating for sponsorship from one of the bigger independent studios.
The concept seems to be attractive to the community.
I thank you for filling me in.
Sincerely,
Bobby Bragg (561) 289-5934
Old April 4th, 2002, 11:37 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Many thanks, Bobby -- B-movies rule! You have a very impressive pedigree: http://us.imdb.com/Name?Bragg,+Bob+(I) -- thanks for joining us here; the Community is at your service. Digital Drive-In sounds like an amazing concept. Welcome aboard!

Old April 5th, 2002, 12:23 AM   #5
BBBOSSSS

Well; Chris,
your last reply is much appreciated. I have worked hard and long to bring Digital Drive In to a reality for beginning moviemakers.
We are very close to setting the lock-out date for submissions.
I expect to hold the judging in November, 2002.

My resume at IMDB.COM is only half of what I have accomplished over the last twenty years.

I don't expect to turn a profit the first year and maybe not the second year. I have been blessed to realize my dream of working in the film business. I, of all people know just what it takes to follow a dream.

This is my second dream. I am 40 years old; I plan to retire from the Screen Actors Guild in the next five years. I will continue to make my own movies and build Digital Drive In. It has the potential to become huge.

I have helped several young stuntmen become very popular in the business, I simply gave them a break. Ultimately it was up to them to continue diligently through the open door.

I believe it is important to invest in the beginners of our business.
Afterall, producers and directors believed in me more than once.
If I can help with what you are doing here please let me know.
Bobby Bragg
Old April 5th, 2002, 12:56 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Bobby, after I get back from NAB next week, I'll get with you and put a link to Digital Drive-In on my site... probably in the Network section. Very busy time right at the moment but would like to do all I can to help you out.

Old April 5th, 2002, 01:02 AM   #7
BBBOSSSS

Chris,
Your the man!
Good luck at NAB.
If you like I can link you too.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Bobby
Old April 5th, 2002, 01:45 AM   #8
Trustee

Bobby,

Like Chris said, welcome aboard. It's great to see someone giving a bit back. The industry needs more people like you with a fresh and open mind. Hollywood is totally stuck in the "if you don't have a name then go away and get one" rut and it's people like you that give people a chance to get a name.

Cheers, hope it all goes well.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2002, 02:02 AM   #9
BBBOSSSS

Adrian,
You guys are making my day/night. It's about midnight here in california.
This is the time when I can do most of my promotions for Digital Drive In. I have another week before I start coordinating the stunts on a pilot for a TV series. I want to do as much as I can before then so I don't get backed up.
I have big plans for this program, I definately want it to be known internationally. I have had a chance to work around the world a few times. I have met some great people that will be friends for life. Keep my info; I have always wanted to visit over there. Never know, maybe I can make one of my little movies there one day!
Thanks for all the support,
Bobby
Old April 5th, 2002, 07:49 AM   #10
RED Code Chef

Bobby,

Welcome aboard! I'm one of the international members here
on this forum (and a forum moderator). When you dropped
the magic "international" word my antennas went right out.
I'm definitely going to follow your endeavor, thank you for
doing such an event!

I must say that I do find your site a bit flashy (switching colors
etc.). This could be just me (and I am certainly not trying to
badmouth your site here). It was just an un-easy site to
browse for me, that is all....

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors

Last edited by Rob Lohman; April 5th, 2002 at 08:17 AM.
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2002, 08:54 AM   #11
Trustee

Bobby,

If you are over this way and need help with anything, let me know I'd be glad to lend a hand. Even if it's a BBQ and a cold beer, just say the word.

Japan can be a difficult place to get things done, for first timers and vets alike. Both myself and John Locke are here and both keen to be involved with any projects that come our way.

Ah, I tend to agree with Rob on the site issue. The images and info are great but if you might want to clean up the design and layout a little. If you need a hand, again, I'm glad to help.
Old April 5th, 2002, 10:44 AM   #12
BBBOSSSS

Rob, Adrian,
Thanks for your observations. Any constructive criticism is definately welcome, This is the first time I have built a site.
Please feel free to give details, I have only seen it on one other computer other than mine; I have my screen settings soft so it's not to hard on the eyes.
I look forward to hearing more.
Bobby
Old April 5th, 2002, 12:17 PM   #13
Trustee

Bobby
For a first go you've done a really good job. My first site really sucked. You've got a good basic idea, just needs some polish. Hopefully these tips will help.

For a really pro looking site, the best thing is to keep it simple. Flashing banners and animated graphics are pretty but they tend to put people off. Cruise around sites you like and have a look at the style, format and colours they use. Basic colours, clean graphics, simple nav. Make sure you use colours that don't clash and keep it uniform site wide.

Use a plain background with contrasting graphics and type. Try to avoid big blocky multi coloured text. I like to stay away from Times New Roman as it looks so dated. I always use Arial or Verdana. Verdana is my favourite as it's clean and looks modern. Keep you font size fairly small. There's nothing that looks more unprofessional than big text. I usually use 2 for my text and 3 for headings.

when designing your layout, aim for viewing at 800x600. if you try to design for 640 x480 you'll end up with too much empty space at 1024x768. Make sure you view it in at least Internet Explorer and Netscape. I don't worry about AOL or the others as they just don't cut it.

Put everything into tables and center it on the page. I think it looks better than everything on the right side of the page and a big blank area on the left. If you feel confident with HTML tables you can set the table width to 100% and it will fill the screen. This can be tricky especially with image placement.

That should keep you going for a while. If you need any thing just ask.
Old April 5th, 2002, 12:24 PM   #14
BBBOSSSS

Adrian,
I really appreciate the time you have taken to educate me on this subject.
You are being very helpfull.
Bobby
Old April 5th, 2002, 12:26 PM   #15
Trustee

Wow I went back to change a few things and there was a reply. If you want I can do a quick redo of one of your pages to give you some ideas
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work