DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Show Your Work 2004 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/18260-show-your-work-2004-a.html)

James Sidney February 19th, 2004 02:18 PM

Thanks very much Bryan,

I think you (and Rob) are right.

I spend a LOT of time lecturing and speaking in front of crowds, so when I get a script in front of me I'm always fighting the urge to project to the back of the house. (A couple of times on camera I've had to be reminded not to project to the distant cameraman--since I'm wearing a lav!) I usually go through enormous facial/vocal animations to keep an audience's eyes.

Anyway, that experience is hard for me to shake in the booth, and since I wasn't clear about the problem, it came out as a half version of two different styles. I now know I have to treat this kind of speaking as a completely different (more intimate) form.

Thanks again, you've both given me just the kind of feedback I was looking for (and needed.)

~J

PS - Glad you liked the imagery and the site. Cheers.

Sharon Fraats February 19th, 2004 11:56 PM

I like your approach as to catching the bikes, as I was not there could you have gone closer to the bikes or even from under the jump and splice that into the footage.

As for the good love the slow mo on the one-foot kick off good one. Then going into frame mode great.

Bryan Mitchell February 20th, 2004 04:22 AM

And another one...

And another one...

I hope I'm not annoying anyone by posting all my small 1 minute movies I make every thursday, friday, and saturday nights. I'm trying to work my way up to a 10 minute short, but until then I'm just trying to improve myself.

http://film.omnibuilt.com/ldts.html

If you guys have the time, let me know what you think.

-Thanks

Rob Lohman February 20th, 2004 06:21 AM

Bryan explained it well. It sounds way too clinical. With breakups
in the "flow" at weird points. If you would translate it to text you
would get full stops (.) in the middle of sentences etc.

Dustin Waits February 20th, 2004 10:33 AM

The problem with going closer is that the rider will start to take up too much of the frame. This makes it harder to tell what is going on, or what ramps he is jumping, etc. It is possible to get closer whithout this loss of information but that is what fisheye lenses are used for. I just don't have the money to buy one right now.

Sharon Fraats February 20th, 2004 12:59 PM

Got it!!

Dustin Waits February 20th, 2004 11:33 PM

I really liked it. I loved those photograph effects.

John Gaspain February 21st, 2004 12:12 AM

sweetness!

Rob Lohman February 23rd, 2004 05:02 PM

Nice! Some timing feeled a bit "off". Like the gunshot. So this is
just a "fictional" trailer?

Bryan Mitchell February 23rd, 2004 09:56 PM

Yeah, just fictional, though unlike the alien one, this is based off a script Idea me and my old brother are developing.

Paul Tauger February 23rd, 2004 10:10 PM

A Short Travel Video . . .

I've posted a 4-minute video of Venice at night. It was an experiment for me because:

1. It's the first travel video I've shot entirely with a tripod -- what a difference! (A Bogen 3444D with a Manfrotto 700RC2 head)

2. I made very little use of my Optex WA for my VX2000 and, instead, tried to concentrate on composition. Surprise! I found I really didn't need the adapter as much as I've thought. Quite a revelation, that will make my future projects a lot easier, since that Optex weighs about a pound and interferes with the VX2000's OIS.

3. The video was processed as a unit in a single pass through the Deflicker VirtualDub filter, which did an amazing job of removing the 50-Hz flicker of outdoor lighting in Europe that has always plagued my night shots. In the future, I'll process shot-by-shot, but this is an easy fix to a significant problem.

Though the clip looks good on an NTSC monitor, it's a little dark on a computer monitor -- if you take a look at it, you might want to goose the gamma a bit.

I'd appreciate any feedback. My only aim was to capture the feel of the place around 11 pm on a November evening when Venice is uncharacteristically quiet.

You can see it at www.ruyitang.com -- just click on the third clip, "Venice at Night." You can also stream or download directly at www.ruyitang.com/venice at night - 9.wmv

Thanks!

Seth Peterson February 23rd, 2004 11:26 PM

I got Outpost up on another site. Much cooler. Check it out.

http://www.undergroundfilm.org/films...cl?wid=1012267

Lathe Austin February 24th, 2004 01:06 AM

Very nice. The eye piece prop was great, really added production value to the film. I just thought it was a little short. And that the idea wasn't explored as far as it could have been. And trying to figure out who was shooting who was a bit confusing. From what I got their were two guys shooting at some one off screen, but it looked like at times that one of the guys shoot the other, but i think thats wrong And does this have any Half-Life influence in it, or is that just me?

Bob Safay February 24th, 2004 05:37 AM

Paul, excellant. I know how you feel, I travel all over and have no one to really share my stuff with (my wife can only watch so many times). I have videos from Africa, Italy, the Amazon River and most recently Patagonia. I need to learn how to post on the web. I will be in Venice the first week end in April but only for a short trip. Again, I really enjoyed the video. You truely captured Venice ay night. Bob

Rob Lohman February 24th, 2004 06:24 AM

It looked great Paul! Relaxing and simple. Lovely footage.