Show Your Work 2004 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old January 2nd, 2004, 09:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

skateboard video

hi everybody,
i finally mustered up the guts to post my work as well. in 2002, i shot a skateboard video here in cape breton, which is probably as far east in canada as you can get. it is 191mb and 30 minutes long, so i wouldn't recommend this to non skateboarding fans as it would likely get old quick. there is also a 7mb teaser.

http://media.locals.ca/scenery.html

background
this was shot and edited over a ten month period on the single chip panasonic pvdv601. i bought the camera (my first camera of any kind ever) on a bit of a whim and started shooting immediately in february 2002. i just learned as i went, and it really goes to show that dv has come to the point where a complete novice can just pick up a camera and start shooting and editing. i wrapped up editing in november, and had a big release party (350 people!) where it premiered. i also had it duplicated on vhs. the premiere and vhs release took place one day short a year from when i bought the camera. a few months after i sold out of the vhs copies, i released it on my website for free. the soundtrack is all local bands.

gear
i used a panasonic pvdv601 and edited on a dell laptop with premiere 6.0 and 6.5. i eventually got two fisheyes (kenko sgw43x, raynox qc303) after i figured out it would allow the camera to 'zoom out' more. i also used lenses from the now discontinued kodak ektanar lens kit for 43mm threads. for lighting i picked up a very loud and cranky honda generator and some cheap work lights and stands.

there is a *lot* of vignetting in most of the fisheye shots and i didn't do any color correction or other patchwork in post.

for the teaser video i matched up a live version of the band playing with the studio audio for the track. since they were not played at the same tempo, it was a painstaking process indeed!

i bought a gl2 last may and have been picking away at a second video which i hope to finish up late 2004.

i look forward to any comments and critiques you guys might have so i can shoot and edit better stuff in the future. i only wish i knew about dvinfo.net two years ago!! :)

cheers,
harry
Old January 2nd, 2004, 10:30 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Very nice!! Only real "complaint" is that it got less interesting
futher along. Looked a bit the same over again. But ofcourse
this might not be so to someone else or your target audience

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old January 2nd, 2004, 10:47 AM   #3
RED Code Chef

I only downloaded and watched the teaser and I must say you
had some very nice shots in there. Music was not my style (sorry)
and I also didn't like the fisheye stuff where you are watching a
circle with stuff inside it. Just not my thing.

Old January 2nd, 2004, 09:53 PM   #4
Major Player

I've been watching skateboard videos since the late 80's and have to say you have some nice shots in there as well . I only watched the trailer but I would agree with Rob on the Fisheye effect. Its a little to much for my liking and there are tons and tons of skate videos that use fisheye but then again when skating and shooting at the same time you just need to be able to point and shoot so it all makes sense to be able to get it all in the frame without looking at a viewfinder or LCD! Are these guys pros or just like shop sponsered riders? Seems like some talented skaters in there I will try to check out the long version when i get a chance. Good luck on the second vid and just have fun shooting.
Old January 2nd, 2004, 09:56 PM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks for the input guys. i have the century optics fisheye for my gl2 so vignetting isn't going to be a problem this time. when i did the first one i was just happy to get the whole person in the shot!

all of the skaters are just guys that live around here. one or two of them are shop sponsored.

with follow filming i find you pretty much need the fisheye, but you're seeing more and more long lens stuff in pro videos. the thing is, pros have multiple cameras at almost all the shoots so if one guy bungles, it's not critical. for a lot of the stuff i shot, it was going to have to be a one take deal, so i overused the fisheye as a bit of a safety as well.

thanks again for the input!
harry
Old January 3rd, 2004, 08:04 PM   #6
Regular Crew

will try again later, page was 'unavailable'?
Old January 5th, 2004, 02:29 AM   #7
Regular Crew

that's actually really good advice...thanks! Establishing shots are probably one of the most important aspects of continuity...film class has at least taught me that much

now to apply...

thanks again everyone,
Rob
Old January 5th, 2004, 11:09 AM   #8

website, footy entirely from gl2

my gl2 and i have finally finished the website, http://www.fourtenmedia.com and although it still needs some work i thought i would share it with you all... its something different but all done w/ a gl2 (even though the compression makes it hard to tell)

Old January 5th, 2004, 11:37 AM   #9
Old Boot

Jerry! Excellent Website! Superb graphics, exciting and innovative too! Lots of great ideas. Oh yes the XM2 footage - GREAT STUFF!!

You're into my Favourites RIGHT NOW! Click - click . . thanks . .

Grazie
Old January 5th, 2004, 12:23 PM   #10
Major Player

made link hot

http://www.fourtenmedia.com

I couldnt get your flashy to work
Old January 5th, 2004, 12:41 PM   #11
Wrangler

Nice web site ;0 ;0 ;0

Although a line in the bottom right handcorner spoils the main photo (background, tree, blue sky). Might be worth touching it up.

Cheers,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old January 5th, 2004, 02:40 PM   #12
Regular Crew

new video

Here's a new teaser clip I made for an upcoming "behind the scenes" video for a music video shoot. Everything was shot on a GL2 and edited on FCP.

http://www.terraform.tv/preview/crownedking.html
Old January 5th, 2004, 04:12 PM   #13
RED Code Chef

Looking good! Where they shooting the actual clip on film? Even
MTV was there? Would be interesting to see how the actual
shots from the film camera look when compared with what you
shot!

Old January 5th, 2004, 04:17 PM   #14

john,
if you cannot get the flash movies to load/work you may need to download the latest player from macromedia.com , as far as i can think that is the only thing that should be holding you back from seeing it.

thanks ed, ill look into that one... i dont know which background your talking about but it shouldnt be hard to find and fix.
glad yall liked it.

Old January 5th, 2004, 05:07 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Yes, the actual video was shot on 35mm, i'm also curious to see what the final video will look like in comparison to my miniDV footage. The director said that they were going for a "Fight Club/Panic Room" look. After I see what the final version looks like I'm gonna try to color correct some of my footage to see if i can match what they got, should be a good little exercise. The band seems to be pretty popular with the mtv crew here in Vancouver so they came out to do a little piece on the new video as well.

Corey
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work