Show Your Work 2005 - Page 56 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old November 13th, 2005, 11:06 AM   #826
Inner Circle

To Peter:

Ik vond het vooral goed gemonteerd. Enkele leuke beelden ook. Maar soms vond ik de muziek ietsje de dialoog overstemmen.
Old November 15th, 2005, 12:55 PM   #827
Regular Crew

My first commercial

This is my first attempt at a commercial. I actually work at this studio doing videos for bands and promotional stuff for them. I was just trying to edit a commercial since i never have and was just seeing what you all thought of it so far. i still need to work with the information part of it, like adding the phone number and contact information for the studio and what not but what do you think so far. And i also made a reel for the studio so check that out too. Just so you know, i basically suck at anything that has to do with type so its not the best right now cause i just had to start incorporating it into the videos i do. So dont complain about the type.

http://s90140792.onlinehome.us/Audioworks.mov - Commercial

http://s90140792.onlinehome.us/AV Reel.mov - Reel
Old November 15th, 2005, 02:43 PM   #828
Inner Circle

Very nice editing!
Old November 15th, 2005, 03:09 PM   #829
Major Player

Tallinn Air Traffic Control Centre overview video

Hello,

Last weekend we filmed in Estonian Air Navigation Services which is the building from where all the flights going to/from Tallinn airport and overflying Estonian airspace are controlled. It also includes some take-offs and landings of interesting airplanes including Let L-410 and Antonov AN-12.

Hope you enjoy and let me know what you think! By the way, it was created mainly for aviation fans so some of you you may find it boring at times

Filmed with Sony VX2100 and edited in Premiere Pro.

http://video.skyfilmproductions.com/...9d7acf7&type=2
Old November 16th, 2005, 04:04 PM   #830
Major Player

reeeeallly slow download - I only could see the 1st quarter of it. I liked the edits and cuts that were happening. Especially for a 24hr prod
Old November 16th, 2005, 04:27 PM   #831
Regular Crew

I thought it was a pretty cool concept overall. Good use of building suspence. The score didn't set right with me though. It was hitting in the wrong areas. Seemed as if the action occured then the music hit late. Could that be a problem with my download? Anyway, awesome job for 24hrs.

http://www.southernwindsfilmfestival.com

http://www.phigmentphilms.com
Old November 17th, 2005, 10:44 AM   #832
New Boot

Call for Entries! 2006 Estes Park Film Festival

The first ever Estes Park Film Festival is now accepting your film entries! We are looking for the best independent feature films, documentaries, and short films in all genres. Films accepted into the festival will be eligible to compete for cash prizes up to $1,000, and a chance to attend one of the most exciting events in beautiful Estes Park, Colorado. To enter your film visit www.sdientertainment.com and click on film festivals. Submit early to take advantage of the early bird submission fees! If you have any questions please e-mail us at info@sdientertainment.com. We hope to see you at the festival!

The first ever Estes Park Festival will take place at The Historic Park Theatre in beautiful Estes Park, Colorado September 15th through the 17th, 2006 with an awards ceremony on the final night! The Festival will showcase an amazing blend of feature length films, short films, and documentaries. Estes Park, Colorado, Gateway to the Rocky Mountain National Park, is the perfect back-drop for a film festival. Thousands of people visit each year to enjoy the shops, golf courses, beautiful mountain scenery, horseback riding, and numerous hiking trails. In addition to the films the Estes Park Film Festival will also serve as fundraising event to help renovate and restore the Historic Park Theatre.

Early Submission Deadline

November 1st, 2005 until January 1st, 2006

$25 Features / $15 Shorts / $10 Students

Regular Submission Deadline

January 2nd, 2006 until May 1st, 2006

$30 Features / $20 Shorts / $15 Students

Late Submission Deadline

May 2nd, 2006 until June 1st, 2006

$35 Features / $25 Shorts / $20 Students

Entries received after the late deadline will not be accepted.

www.sdientertainment.com
Old November 18th, 2005, 02:11 PM   #833
Wrangler

Off the Grid, Vol. 1: A Truly Independent Film Review

okay, this is not exactly "DV for the Masses" but....

here's volume one of my first-ever podcast:

http://www.ourmedia.org/node/101497

i plan to do six of these, in which i review films which are exclusively or primarily distributed directly through the producers' website. volume one reviews three films: "Sinners" by Bill Heath, "Grass" by Merion Cooper and "The Collective" by The Collective.

all of these are really interesting films and would make good Christmas presents for the film lover in your life.

what i'd really like to do is find a way to do this show visually, using video, but i'm kind of thinking that the podcast is a good practice space, to work on certain techniques and play around, which is less work-intensive than a full-blown video production. i tried to make it more professional and NPR-like, it's not a blathery, blogg-y bunch of idle podcast-y chatter. it's for people serious about film and video, with some mild humor thrown in to keep it moving.

i edited this in FCP 4.5 using a Rode NT-1A hooked up to an iMac G5 through a Beachtek DXA-8 plugged into an iMic (USB interface). the sound isn't as clear as i would like. i discovered, after the fact, that i can actually create better sound by recording to minidisc with a cheap $30 1/8'' plug mic. i'm highly annoyed by this fact.

the show runs about 17 minutes total.

i'd love some feedback from this group on both content and technical issues, so i can make some improvements.

also, if you have any suggestions for films (by small producers only, please listen to the show to get my drift...), please shoot me an e-mail which includes a website where i can purchase a copy directly. i'm looking for film and video which is profound, inspiring, beautifuly, technically ground-breaking but unknown. off the grid, that is....
Old November 18th, 2005, 02:13 PM   #834
Trustee

Nice shooting and editing but you really missed the one thing that make commercials work.... branding. The main difference between local and national commercials is not just production value, it is approach. Too many times a local commercial has information overload... talking head going a hundred miles and hour, a scrolling text roll at the bottom, maps, testimonials, the owner, the owners kids, his dog, etc. all in 30 seconds... A national commercial? Something funny, kitchy, dramatic, etc. followed by "Just do it!" or "Obey Your Thirst" etc. Even commercials about a specific business make it clear the entire time what they do and where to find out about them...

You really need to have the business name and purpose branded more clearly throughout or else you will have the reaction, "wow, that looked neat, I wonder what it was a commercial for."

ash =o)
Old November 18th, 2005, 02:35 PM   #835
Major Player

Meryem,

I'm downloading the audio now, will have to listen later.

Be prepared to get flooded with independent films to review. Coming from the music side, all the review zines start small and within a year they are backed up with thousands of CDs from independent bands. Wonder if it will work the same for films?

Josh
Old November 18th, 2005, 02:57 PM   #836
Major Player

I agree with Ash.
The shooting and lighting look nice, interesting even.
Cuts are cool, would work well for a music video, but, as a marketing person, I would feel that this is not particularly effective as a commercial.

Most importantly, it doesn't convey any message.
Even if the name and phone number were clearly shown, I wouldn't know anything about this place, their services, what sets them apart from others. Why should I be interested in the contact info in the first place?

It's a nice video, but, as is typical for first commercial efforts, it doesn't play as an effective advertisement.

So .... how can you create effective ad?

Basically, start by learning about the target audience in relation to the product.
What do potential customers want/value?
Why should they use this product?
What grabs their attention?

THEN design the video around addressing the answers to those questions.
Flashy video and a phone number alone might get the phone number in front of some people, but it doesn't prompt them to want to call. :)

Great job on the video. It probably does address the third quesion in the list above. Now get crackin' on hitting those other two concepts and incorporate the results in your next effort.

Good luck!
Have fun.
Old November 18th, 2005, 03:29 PM   #837
Regular Crew

well, the thing is, i filmed this with absolutly no purpouse at all. its not really a commercial as you would see on tv. but more of a web promotional thing if that makes sense. i didnt really state what i was trying to do, but i wasnt going for a TV commercial type Video. Ill try to add to it more thought. thanks again
Old November 19th, 2005, 12:00 AM   #838
Regular Crew

Common Effect - A Short Film

Hey everyone,

I recently finished editing my debut short film, "Common Effect."

Synopsis:

Rob and Mark, two contract killers in their early twenties, share a hotel room on the verge of their next kill. Mark is ready and eager to do it, but Rob doesn't feel the same.

In another hotel room, Bill, a 40-something police officer, has trouble putting his violent past into words for the woman he loves. What the woman, Jessica, will do with this information, puts everyone at stake -- even herself.

-------

You can see a pretty recent version online at runtwo.com/ce/af/ce110.mov. Note that the file is 110 MB, and encoded for QT 7. Sounds big, but the length is 15 minutes and the resolution is pretty high.

Preferred Option:

I'm temporarily giving out DVDs of the film for free, if anyone's interested. If you are, just let me know, and we'll take it from there.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Steve
Old November 19th, 2005, 02:28 AM   #839
Tourist

at 3:17, 3:57 there is a media offline title
3:44 has a media offline title and a drop in ambient noise
I believe the long gaps in between dialogue could be shortened. As in when the guy packs his bag(7.36-8.13). There seems to be dead silence a plenty...
I'm too new to post any other comments with confidence..haha
Old November 19th, 2005, 06:27 AM   #840
Regular Crew

Hi Sean,

Thanks for your comments. (I'm open to a Private Message for the others) =)

The small stuff, like the "MEDIA OFFLINE" messages, and audio ups and downs were all resolved, which is the version on the DVD.

Thanks again,

Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work