Show Your Work 2005 - Page 60 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old December 3rd, 2005, 07:04 PM   #886
Wrangler

"Giant Sucking Sound" won an award

okay, so this is kind of goofy, but i just learned that this ultra short video won the top award in a film festival sponsored by Boulder's cable access channel. so it isn't exactly sundance, but hey! someone's watching it!

i shot this last summer for laughs when i was goofing around with my GL2 in the park.

http://www.ourmedia.org/node/37255

or

http://ia300116.us.archive.org/1/ite...Widescreen.mov

QT 7 H.264 format strikes again! (at least, i think it is. it was awhile ago...)
Old December 3rd, 2005, 10:32 PM   #887
Trustee

You have my permission to go out and get one of these then...

Winner of a Major Award

:D

Cool for you! (downloading it now to watch)
Old December 4th, 2005, 03:21 AM   #888
Major Player

that absolutely, positivly, KICKS, MAJOR, A$$
Old December 4th, 2005, 08:01 AM   #889
Wrangler

This is what happens when you don't keep professional lighting tecnnicians gainfully employed. :-)

Great sequence!

-gb-
Old December 4th, 2005, 10:59 AM   #890
Wrangler

thanks for watching, george. the leg lamp major award is just about the right certificate, for what this video is....

as i mentioned, it's sort of a goofy thing, but whenever anyone says, hey, i liked your video, it always feels nice!
Old December 4th, 2005, 12:54 PM   #891
Wrangler

Short Movie "Self Made"

Finally am getting around to updating my personal web site and realized I'd never posted the "long cut" of my DVC#3 entry, as I said I would. It ain't perfect -- not even close -- but I'm happy enough given that it was a first-effort, mad-scramble-cuz-I-had-to-work-on-the-weekend panic production. Anyway, the long cut is between 5 and 6 minutes long including credits and a lot better to view since I encoded it at a higher bitrate.

Here's the link, hope y'all enjoy it:

http://www.geosynchrony.com/Movies.htm

If you don't enjoy it, try this instead:

Pete's Home Page

Cheers!
Old December 5th, 2005, 06:27 AM   #892
Trustee

I did feel like putting the beat down on the guys with the dog. What were they thinking? That hydralic was going to put that dog underwater. I knew the moment they threw the stick. Idiots.

Still was fun.
Old December 5th, 2005, 09:18 AM   #893
Wrangler

that dog was a wonder dog. i get your point and felt the same way initially, the first time his owner tossed the stick, but he probably jumped in the hole a dozen times and seemed to be one of those dogs with a ton of energy who enjoys a big physical challenge. i'm sure he ate well and slept soundly that night.

the day after i shot the footage for this, the city of boulder shut down the creek to inner tubing for a few weeks, which they had never done before.
Old December 5th, 2005, 08:21 PM   #894
Major Player

Tips:

1, I think you should have asked them to provide you some"HOT" chicks (10 minimum). HipHop can not do with out hot chicks in their music videos.
2, More cars with Rims. Try to request some more nice cars with rims. Escalades,
3, The convertable car they used has nice rims but you did not shoot it. It would have been nice to do a shot from the rim to the driver or something similar (in slow mo though)
4, More bling blings are needed on the artist's neck. You could also do a closeup shot on that bling as well.
5, More shots from different locations, etc club scence like the Three 6 Mafia music video, fly. A house, downtown streets, a hood restaurant, a popular joint in cleveland, etc.
6, and watch BET a lot before you shoot any Hip Hop video. At least spend a whole week watching every music video they show and pay attention to every detail shots, what the shots means, if it is nice, unique, etc and try to create your own shots from what you have acquired.

Rating: 7 out of 10
You being 18yrs: 9 out of 10

Giuseppe, the video was sweet, hot, and spicey. My girlfriend was proud of your work men!. You even helped me let her see why I have been focusing more on this video thingy.

R. Kelly's old keyboard player??????.. huh?????

Advice: Try to network yourself as much as possible into those broadcasting stations (MTV and BET) through this video you are about to shoot and let us know how we too can get our music videos up on those stations.
Old December 5th, 2005, 09:17 PM   #895
Major Player

Maybe the keyboard player left because he got pissed.

Get it?? Oh I kill myself!
Old December 5th, 2005, 11:43 PM   #896
Regular Crew

Jim,
How about some honest advise about the logo? The text in the middle is hard to read. Maybe some white outer glow would help it stand out. As for the clip... well done, even though I hate to see those animals getting shot with arrows.

Paul
Old December 6th, 2005, 12:12 AM   #897
Regular Crew

I have another post on the board related to the price of the video and why it is how it is.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...8&goto=newpost

At this point, im not doing videos for myself anymore, and actually getting paid by clients. so all the money comes out of there pockets. Sure thing the girls/bling and cars was considered but you cant get all that for free which is why it wasnt in the video. The car shot was all 1 take. We didnt even know that guy actually. We just asked if we could do a take of the song and he stated "anything for the city of Cleveland". So basically it's up to the client on what will be in the video.

I just completed a commercial for him (Lafayette Carthon) and we'll see where its aired. The music video should be completed in no longer then a month im guessing.
Old December 6th, 2005, 01:52 AM   #898
New Boot

Iowa Filmmakers win development deal with MTV Films

First of all -- thank you to everyone who voted for our films in MTV's Best Film on Campus competition. I have some great news -- Bryan & I won for our "University Heights" trailer!! MTVu played a great prank on me, and you'll be able to check that out next week at http://www.mtvu.com. For now, check out the press release below.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped us out thus far. Bryan & I are incredibly grateful for the support.

IOWA FILMMAKERS WIN MTV’S BEST FILM ON CAMPUS CONTEST
UI juniors’ win development deal with MTV Films; film judged by Hollywood directors and MTV staff

December 6, 2005

Iowa-based filmmakers and University of Iowa juniors Scott Beck & Bryan Woods, both 21, have won MTVu’s Best Film on Campus: Trailer Challenge competition.

Beck & Woods had two films in the top five; their trailer for “University Heights” was chosen for the grand prize by Hollywood directors John Singleton (Boyz n the Hood), Catherine Hardwicke (Thirteen) and Nicole Kassell (The Woodsman), MTV staff and online voters.

Beck & Woods win a development deal with MTV Films and a home theatre system.

On December 1, MTVu producers called Beck, notifying him that while the “University Heights” trailer lost, the “Her Summer” trailer had won the grand prize. Then, with help from Beck, MTVu arranged to surprise Woods with the news – by flying out to Iowa City and filming the whole event.

However, when Beck visited Woods’ apartment to surprise him, he was greeted by MTVu staff, several news cameras, friends, and cast and crew from “University Heights.” It turned out that MTVu set up the prank with Woods, and that their trailer for “University Heights” actually won.

“It was incredible,” Beck said. “Here I thought we were surprising Bryan, and instead I’m the one who gets surprised! I just couldn’t believe what was happening.”

Beck & Woods now will have the opportunity to develop a project with MTV Films.

“I can’t stress how grateful we are for this opportunity,” Woods stated. “It’s one of those things that seem so out of reach, but now we’re one step closer.”

Along with the three directors and MTV staff, online voters played a large part in choosing the winner.

“We’ve had so much support throughout this contest. It’s been really amazing,” Beck said. “Bryan and I want to thank everybody for helping us out, and for making our dream a little more of a reality.”

MTVu will be airing segments of the surprise online at http://www.mtvu.com beginning next week.
Old December 8th, 2005, 10:41 AM   #899
New Boot

First Project: Invitation

I posted this, a couple weeks ago, in the section specific to the camera used for the project (Panasonic PV-GS65). I just discovered this section of the forum and realized it was a better place to post my work. So I'm trying again, for those of you who didn't get a chance to see this.

I am fairly new to filmmaking, only been involved with it for 3 years now (the first two of which were focused mainly on screenwriting) - all of which has consisted of reading and learning. I just completed my first film, it is a 3-minute narrative with no dialog. As I mentioned, it was shot on a consumer 3-CCD Panasonic PV-GS65 and it was edited with Sony Vegas Video 5.

You can view the film here:
http://www.narrowroadentertainment.c...tion_final.wmv

Thanks for taking the time to view this, I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts/comments/criticisms so I can grow as a filmmaker.

Thanks,
Larry
Old December 8th, 2005, 02:43 PM   #900
Major Player

Wow, very impressive for your first short. some comments:

Acting:
I'm assuming having no dialog help, but good work with the little girl. I'm im always amazed by people who get subtle work out of kids.

Editing:
during during the long shot of the girl standing in the field, your bottom widscreen bar jumps around. The shot near the end where the kids dissolve into frame needs more time, and i wasnt a fan of the color correction. I'm assuming you put it through some filmlook process to adjust the curve, it looked a little to contrasty to me (the shaded areas of the film lack detail)

Camera:
Great camera work. i liked the angles and the dolly shot. looks like you used a lot of natural light, im definitely a fan of that asthetic. though in the future pick up a reflector or two for bouncing around that sunlight.

Overall, I really liked it. much more inpressive than my first short :)
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work