Objects in mirror are closer than they appear at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old June 22nd, 2005, 03:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear

If you've ever been in a hurry then this is the film for you.

http://zed.cbc.ca/go?POS=8&CONTENT_I...TER_KEY=154227

If you decide to watch the film it is best to do so before reading the comments below as they discuss the twist of the film.

I'd love to hear what you think.

Best Regards,

Geoff

Last edited by Geoffrey Engelbrecht; June 23rd, 2005 at 01:57 AM.
Geoffrey Engelbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 07:52 PM   #2
Trustee

The first couple shots are great. I think the first shot of the guy getting into the car is way too long. It should feel more frantic and the static shot doesnt help that feeling. Inside the car I would like to see a few more close-ups... the guys face, the shift knob, etc. also, the color inside the car is a little drab. The two people waiting scene always looks very good.

As far as the story, I wasnt real sure what the point was. Just that he was in a hurry and rear-ended someone? If you are going for funny there needs to be a lot more gags.

I would say a pretty good job that with some tweaks can get better....

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 08:02 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Why!?

As previously stated, "The two people waiting scene always looks very good," otherwise, why is it even done?

Mike
Mike Teutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 09:07 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys I appreciate the comments.

The colour was tweaked to add more red for the people waiting and more green-blue for the car scenes. The idea to make the scenes of the people waiting more warm and the car more cold.

I've had a number of complaints about the lack of franticness of the car scenes and will try to do something there. The earlier scenes might be cut somewhat. The closesup of the guy in the car with the sky in the background was complained about elsewhere as there was no perspective (the sky doesn't move so you don't have the idea he is racing down the road). I'll have to consider if it is worth redoing some of these shots.

As for the question why. Hmmm not a good sign when people don't understand the film. I'm not so depressed though as on another forum someone said they liked the idea behind the story and people I've shown it to here seemed to like it.

The premise behind the story is fairly simple. Essentially it is meant as a comedy about road rage. The gag comes in the twist at the end which from everyone I've shown it to here didn't see coming.

Let me just add to be more substantial: the film is based on a true story and I felt this story was a good metaphor for life. We all develop goals which are very ambitious and difficult to achieve. We encounter problems and often in the solution of a problem are so pleased with ourselves that we don't see the next problem until it is too late. Death will eventually prevent us from achieving our ultimate goal.

Last edited by Geoffrey Engelbrecht; June 23rd, 2005 at 01:55 AM.
Old June 24th, 2005, 08:08 AM   #5

First of all, European audiences are different from American audiences. That's neither good nor bad, just different. The two see things differently. That being said...

If you have to explain to your audience what your film was trying to say, then it didn't work, for any number of reasons. Based on your explanation, it seems rather grandiose, compared to your film. Personally, I feel you've put far too great a burden on your film, at least for American audiences, and this one member in particular.

As was said, if it was a comedy, there were not nearly enough "gags" that would indicate such. We should have seen no less that three situations that were 1) funny, and 2) indicated outrageous road rage. It needs to be built up to. In most good comedy, things come in threes!

The ending was not a "gag" per se, but simply an event, nor was it a "twist" in the true sense of the word. The reason it was neither was because there was no build-up to the ending. We were not led to anticipate one thing, then have another happen (a twist)--it just happened.

"We encounter problems and often in the solution of a problem are so pleased with ourselves that we don't see the next problem until it is too late. Death will eventually prevent us from achieving our ultimate goal." I didn't see this in the film.

I think better planning (scripting), better acting, better shots, and better editing would have brought this out more fully. As it stands now, it falls short of your ultimate goal. Yes, it's a good and worthy idea, it just hasn't been fully realized yet.

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 01:59 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell
First of all, European audiences are different from American audiences. That's neither good nor bad, just different. The two see things differently. That being said...
Perhaps they are also different from Canadian audiences. Being that I'm Canadian, eh! ;-)

But thanks for the comments nonetheless.

Best Regards,

Geoff
Old June 24th, 2005, 03:01 PM   #7

Your name thingy says your location is Switzerland. What else was I to think?

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 09:18 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I live in Switzerland and work in an international business with colleagues from all over the world including a few Americans. In my experience the differences you refer to are not so large.

It was a chap from Toronto in the other forum that said he liked the story of the film. So I figure there is more variation of opinion on one continent than there is between continents.

Regarding the film: Admittedly if you know the film will end abruptly in an accident before watching it then you are right there is no twist. Of course I'm not sure why if you started watching it that that would be what you would expect. It would be more interesting for me to hear from you why you expected the film to be cut short by an accident and were not suprised by it.

Like I said I've shown it to a number of people here and they all responded with laughter when the accident occured - which was exactly what I was after. And when I asked them they all said they hadn't expected the accident. I don't argue with you as three responses on this thread said the same. I just wonder if the first response gave away the ending spoiling the film for the other two or if there really is something about the film which makes the story obvious from the outset?

I appreciate constructive critisism as this is only my fourth film and I am learning the hard way by doing.

Best Regards,

Geoff
Old June 25th, 2005, 03:59 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I'm Canadian, and I didn't even realize that the film was supposed to be funny until I read the comments. I also had no idea what the point was...

... As for Switzerland! I've always wanted to go! How is it there? The closest I've been is just through pictures man...

Glen Chua
www.moonlitefilms.com
Glen Chua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 07:13 PM   #10
Trustee

I think the problem is that the "twist" is not a twist... a speeding guy gets in a wreck? That is almost expected. We are not sure why he is speeding, apparently to pick up the waiting couple but there is no motivation for the urgency. In order for the wreck to be a twist, there would have to be a sense of irony or something.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 08:52 PM   #11
Major Player

this video definitely has a theme if you couldnt tell... patience makes perfect or something to that effect. i know here in dallas, everyone drives like a bat out of hell, and that person that rushes always ends up in a wreck because they dont pay attention. maybe im the only one that sees this... oh well.

i agree, the shots could have been more fast paced to enhance the theme of the story even more... possibly add in more stuff that would distract the guy like a cup of coffee, cell phone, and all that other stuff to where he almost hits a bunch of cars... just some ideas.
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2005, 01:51 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks again for the comments guys.

The twist is that the film ends abruptly without closure of the situation with the couple. You're meant to expect something to happen between the guy speeding and the couple and nothing ever does because the accident prevents it.

I'm thinking of modifying the ending a little (after the accident that is) to make it more of a rabbit versus tortoise story. Then at least there will be an obvious twist (i.e. the guy speeding wasn't going to pick up the couple it was the slow driver) and it will be a recognisable story.

Hmmmm. It is only my fourth film. And I like it. You guys are a tough audience.

PS Glen I didn't mean to imply that all Canadians like the film beacuse one other Canadian did. I was just angry about the cultural slurs about Europeans.
Old June 26th, 2005, 05:20 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Engelbrecht
Thanks again for the comments guys.

I'm thinking of modifying the ending a little (after the accident that is) to make it more of a rabbit versus tortoise story. Then at least there will be an obvious twist (i.e. the guy speeding wasn't going to pick up the couple it was the slow driver) and it will be a recognisable story.
I'm going to agree with the above comments made by others. Good job on actually finishing a film, however. I might think about having the red car he past driving by the two people waiting at the very end if you wanted to show some irony, or something.

I will say that I new he was going to crash. The shot of the car fading in the rear view mirror was too long and gave it away I think.
Bennis Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 08:01 AM   #14
Regular Crew

i am from Turkey. even though i grew up watching american movies and tv shows, i feel that i am inclined to british humour. i can also say that I have experienced american, european and eastern humour as a spectator until today.

Even though I consider myself as that, I also did not get what this short was about.

first of all the hurry in the traffic is for the sake a waiting couple but when you hurry in the traffic for a reason anything can happen. that's something common.

but if the short was about a guy who did all the stuff for nothing, that could be funny to a degree. so i guess it would be better if geoffrey made us think that the guy was a person who acts aggressively in the traffic just for the fun or to satisfy his ego.

but i have been to switzerland, geneva. I can say that anything unorderly is regarded as extraordinary, new and original. i dont know how canada is but it seems that geoffrey has become a swiss already.

"clean" was your short until now. eventhough it was the best it is hard to ignore improvements in your technique in the eyes of this humble psectator.

in this short the reason is two waiting people.
the encounter with the red car (first one) is so short we don't feel a delay or a problem
Old June 27th, 2005, 04:22 PM   #15
Trustee

I like your new idea and that is maybe where I thought it would go... he is in a hurry and some granny on a moped beats him there or something... still needs motivation for why there is such a rush... maybe some radio audio at the beginning about a contest for who can pick up the mystery couple and bring them back to the studio...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work