Living on Campus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old May 21st, 2021, 07:13 AM   #1
Major Player

Living on Campus

I put this video together for the university I work for to give potential students an idea of what living here on campus would be like. The effort was to give dorm information while also mixing in a little emotion.

A lot of the videos I make for my university, I follow the idea of, "touch the heart to move the mind." So I try to add a little bit of that philosophy into our videos.

Let me know what you think. Constructive criticism is welcomed

Brock Burwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2021, 08:58 AM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: Living on Campus

I think it is fantastic. Shot and edited perfectly.
If you have the rights, some of that footage could definitely make some good money as stock footage.
Old May 21st, 2021, 09:58 AM   #3
Major Player

Think so? Any thing in particular stand out to you that would be good for stock footage?
Brock Burwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2021, 11:28 AM   #4
Vortex Media

The footage of students studying and hanging out in their dorm rooms, library, etc. is particularly valuable if you have rights and can get releases from the students. Even without releases you might get it approved as "editorial" footage if you have the rights to it. But if you can get releases, that stuff is golden.

On a slightly different topic, I don't know why more film students who have virtually a unlimited opportunities to shoot friends doing things (studying, eating, exercising, partying, smoking, etc), and who are willing to sign releases for nothing, don't take advantage of those connections. A film student with a camera and a little motivation could really make some good money from stock in their spare time. Probably enough to pay for school, and certainly more than they are going to make out on the street the first few years with their degree in "film making". Shooting that kind of footage for a regular production company is expensive and a huge hassle. Most companies would rather buy some stock than have to hire people and arrange locations and crew. Less than .01% of my own stock footage library contains released talent for that very reason. If you are in a position to get friends and family to perform it ought to be like a license to print money.

BTW, the talent don't have to look like models and the locations don't have be perfect because that will look phony. Shooting genuine people while they do what they'd be doing anyway is the best kind of stock.

Last edited by Doug Jensen; May 21st, 2021 at 12:01 PM.
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2021, 06:59 AM   #5
Trustee

Brock, this looked and sounded like a professionally produced recruitment video. I hope that the university understands what an asset they have in you. Also, I encourage you to take Doug's advice. You are in a position to shoot, edit and post tons of videos for sale on stock footage companies. I took his online course and within weeks I was selling video clips on both Shutterstock and Pond5. Listen to Doug, believe me he knows what he is talking about. Take his course and start making money. What an opportunity you have right in front of you.
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2021, 12:51 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Looks very professional to me!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work