Short Film for review at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old June 3rd, 2021, 05:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Short Film for review

Hey guys,

Since lockdown slowed a lot of productions, I wanted to do a piece where I would only count on myself to do a short film in my place. It sounded so cool on paper, but I ended up calling my gaffer to help me on a couple of shots that needed some camera movement (I couldn't move the camera and be in front of it at the same time). So I directed, DP'd, acted, etc on this.

I'm still trying to bring it down to 15min to be more festival friendly and I wanted to get your opinion on this short film. Shot on Ursa mini 4.6k.

Pass: pigs2021
David Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2021, 07:11 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Short Film for review

Here's the logline:

In a post-covid world, where disinformation and conspiracy theories undermine society, a man living alone in his apartment must let another person enter his home.
Old June 9th, 2021, 10:46 PM   #3
Slash Rules!

That was cool. High quality in every regard. I'm especially impressed it was done (mostly) solo. How did you go about filming yourself? I did this on a short earlier this year and blocking, focus, etc. was a huge pain.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2021, 04:17 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
That was cool. High quality in every regard. I'm especially impressed it was done (mostly) solo. How did you go about filming yourself? I did this on a short earlier this year and blocking, focus, etc. was a huge pain.
Hey Josh, thanks for watching. Glad you enjoyed it. Yeah, this was a much bigger challenge than I expected. It also reminded me how important a team is in the filmmaking process. I ended up choosing fixed shots and played with focus to my advantage (if I was moving, I would set focus to the last place I would move to). But I also wanted a few moving shots, so I had to call my gaffer to help me out.

Also a huge challenge was to place the mic without a boom operator... damn, that was a pain...

Cheers
Old June 10th, 2021, 08:26 AM   #5
Slash Rules!

copy that, but what did you use for your stand in/to set your focus in the first place? Or did you just have a monitor and keep standing there/checking and going back to the cam to tweak until it was right?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2021, 11:40 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
copy that, but what did you use for your stand in/to set your focus in the first place? Or did you just have a monitor and keep standing there/checking and going back to the cam to tweak until it was right?
I didn't have a monitor. I was using the LCD on the camera. I placed a lightstand where I would be and focus that and then I'd tweak it. Yeah, it was quite inefficient, but then again, I had all the time I wanted to make this. Whenever I'd use a longer lens, I'd just call my wife to help me focus. :)
Old June 10th, 2021, 12:05 PM   #7
Slash Rules!

Damn. Now I have to get married.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work