DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Show Your Work 2006 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/54679-show-your-work-2006-a.html)

Walker Robins January 19th, 2006 05:34 PM

I just finished it, actually. It's 12 minutes long, all interview footage. We were at a crossroads of whether to mix action with the interviews and make it a much longer piece with a narrative or stay short at a (hopefully) engaging length. We decided what we wanted to say could come across on a short length and remain engaging despite the prospect of 12 minutes of interviews. I'll be putting the whole thing up probably here in the next day or two.

Also, if you follow college football, several of the guys are freshmen on OU's football team that I'm sure you'll be hearing about over the next few years. They're awesome guys.

Bigo Hoggins January 20th, 2006 03:01 AM

I like it . the music went really well with the scenes.

Rafael Lopes January 20th, 2006 07:25 AM

award winning video

Hi Guys,

This is a narrative music video a did some time ago that won a couple of film festivals in Spain and Portugal.

http://eventos01.wanadoo.es/Low%20Radiation.wmv

Note: it is very very very very compressed for the net

Jeremy Hughes January 20th, 2006 02:59 PM

That was fun stuff... ha! What did you shoot on?

James Darren January 20th, 2006 10:00 PM

G'day Ryan,

Overall nice job mate, enjoyed watching it...

I've also thought about putting a wireless mic on our football players here in Oz but since our guys wear no padding, it would almost be guaranteed the mic would get damaged in tackles... www.afl.com.au

I reckon using 2 cameras would make this even better, having one constantly following the player with wireless mic, even when hes on the sidelines to get his reactions, cheers, etc & one camera following the game/ball....

Ryan Douglas January 20th, 2006 11:11 PM

thanks for the response. It is sooooooooooo much easier when using two cameras, but as I was working independently, that wasn't an option. I actually got more sideline and reaction shots than I thought I would be able to. The one thing I was dissapointed about was the mic quality. I used a Samson Airline on this package and it wasn't really as clean on the tackle and blocking sfx.

James Darren January 20th, 2006 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Douglas
thanks for the response. It is sooooooooooo much easier when using two cameras, but as I was working independently, that wasn't an option.

Yeh i'm the same, can rarely find another operator who can handle a 2nd camera well enough!

Glenn Gipson January 24th, 2006 05:56 PM

My DVX100A movie is on NetFlix

http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?...d=11128999_0_0

And don't worry, you don't have to like Rap to see it :) There's really not a lot of rap music in it. Thanks!

K. Forman January 24th, 2006 07:20 PM

Man... I bet you're loving that title- "First Time Film Maker". Congrats Glenn!

By the way, don't your loyal friends here get a free peek?

Glenn Gipson January 24th, 2006 08:17 PM

Thanks! It isn't the most polished DVX100 movie out there, but it's a start!

Steven Julien January 24th, 2006 11:25 PM

hey steve,

i thought everything you guys did was great. the footage of the movie looks great, and i'm a big fan of drama. the video montage is great, then i watched the video journal from beginning to end. i've worked on big budget sets, but i'm such a big fan of low budget movies. great job on the editing, it's a lot to go through in five days.

take care,
steven

Owen Bickford January 25th, 2006 01:14 AM

The Tattoo Wazoo Treatment

This is the first time I've posted a video of my own, although I've been shooting for a while. My band was goofing around today, and in our boredom we created a video. If i could only get ideas when the dv challenges roll around, i'd be even happier. I use a Sony TRV18 and Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5. I also used the CineLook plug to cover the poor quality of my camea.

thanks for any response.

http://www.thetimelinepost.com/video...otreatment.mov

Mark Utley January 25th, 2006 05:35 PM

Under The Bridge - shot with Sony Z1

Hey everyone,

I have a new episode of Under The Bridge out now. It's an internet TV show I produce about the local music scene here in Saskatoon, SK, Canada. Episode 9 (the newest one) is the best I've done so far and I'm very happy with it.

It was shot with a Sony Z1, edited on Premiere Pro and compressed with Windows Media Encoder. There was a Panasonic DVX100 used as a second camera for the All Purpose Voltage Heroes interview.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks,

-mark

Under The Bridge: http://underthebridge.mumps.ca/

Peter Wiley January 25th, 2006 06:48 PM

I liked it, Mark. The piece hangs together well and has a professional look and feel. I do think some things sequences could be edited more tightly -- like the chimps. Maybe we don't need to see all of the giggling. Less is more.

Canada has a murder capitol? Who knew?

Daniel Riser January 25th, 2006 10:08 PM

Treasure of the Templars

A film I produced and co-wrote.

www.treasureofthetemplars.com

Website will be updated soon.

Ken Lamug January 26th, 2006 01:20 AM

Hey congratulations! what was the process to get your film on netflix? would like to find out. :)

Mark Utley January 26th, 2006 03:13 AM

Thanks for your feedback, Peter. A couple people have said they didn't really understand why they were laughing so much. I've never really edited anything like that before so it'll take a couple episodes for me to get a feel for it (and especially to be able to know how the viewers will react to everything).

Peter Wiley January 26th, 2006 06:37 AM

It's hard for anyone, even people who have been doing it for a long time and esp. hard when one is working mostly by oneself -- that's why there are directors, producers, test screenings etc.

I find that most of my intial edits can generally be tightened considerably without doing much damage to the story.

Glenn Gipson January 26th, 2006 07:24 AM

The movie is being released through another distributor, not NetFlix.

Owen Bickford January 26th, 2006 10:04 PM

32 views so far, no replies? is it that bad? i can take it.

Riley Harmon January 27th, 2006 03:53 AM

very nice sir, keep it up, i like the underground style

Riley Harmon January 27th, 2006 03:56 AM

VideoMaker 2k5

Carbon Nation wins grand prize in 2005 VideoMaker magzine short film contest. I believe they are having a webcast about it on their website at 10am on 1/27/06 and it will be published in the May 2006. My media control psa was also honored in a new category they created. rileyharmon.com

Mark Utley January 27th, 2006 05:27 PM

Yeah, that's something I'm going to have to work at. 2-cam interviews are definitely the way to go. In case you're wondering, the only reason the wide shot cam for the All Purpose Voltage Heroes interview was black and white is because the footage was hot and it wasn't matching up with my footage.

Lots of first-time things to work out but I think each episodes going to keep getting a bit tighter.

Victor Muh January 28th, 2006 12:43 PM

Sundance Gets a Jolt of Adrenaline During X-Dance!

It is with great pleasure and pride that I announce the nomination of my Saab Salomon film, "Adrenaline Hunters - The Movie," for Best Editing at the X-Dance Action Sports Film Festival 2006. I was nominated for Best Director. We were awarded Best Soundtrack! "Adrenaline Hunters - The Movie" was one of the 26 films to be selected from over 300 films to participate in the X-Dance Action Sports Film Festival 2006 held during the Sundance Film Festival.

The awards ceremony will be broadcast on Fuel TV in March.

X-Dance
X-Dance is the Academy Awards of the action sports world.

Each year, the world's top action sport filmmakers and athletes, cutting-edge bands and DJs, and key figures from the entertainment industry gather under one roof to celebrate action sports culture at the x-dance Action Sports Film Festival. Launched in 2001, x-dance coincides each year with the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah, and screens the best of the best in action sports film, along with post-screening Q&A's and panels with athletes, filmmakers and industry icons.

Running concurrently with the Sundance Film Festival, X-Dance was held in Park City, Utah, on January 20-24th, 2006.

The Adrenaline Hunters
They are restless souls, the Adrenaline Hunters. Over the past 3 years we have filmed these athletes in some of the most beautiful, inaccessible, wild and uncompromising terrain on the surface of this diverse world: torrents, forests, mountains, seas, snow, rocks, dirt, water, and air with bikes, parachutes, kayaks, skis, boards and bare hands. Their exploits have been immortalized on 1 million DVD’s distributed internationally, and have won awards at the Mountain Film Festival in 2004 & 2005.

Adrenaline Hunters - The Movie
Adrenaline Hunters - The Movie is a 52-minute film featuring the best of Salomon's Adrenaline Hunters' exploits mixed with music from Labels Records like Asian Dub Foundation, and cutting-edge groups such as Steriogram, Rubin STEINER, Thunderball and many more.

Through winter and summer, across the endlessly varied landscapes in search of perfection... not just for the rush, but to unlock the philosophy of The Edge.

Against these unadulterated backdrops, the athletes look more like animals than humans. Like a gecko clinging to a wall, Klem Loskot moves sinuously up a sheer rock cliff. Jerome Ruby leaps from the lonely, lofty summit of a sandstone spire and swoops towards the desert below, more falcon than man. David Arnaud descends raging mountain rivers as fluidly and powerfully as the fish that call it home.

Australia, Canada, Madagascar, Morocco, New Zealand, Norway, the United States, and Vietnam provide the organic arenas for their high performance antics.

Watch the trailer here: http://advaloreminternational.com

x-dance Action Sports Film Festival
http://x-dance.com

Brian Karr January 29th, 2006 08:40 AM

HD video using Windows Media

I captured and rendered my first video using the Windows Media HD 1080 30p resolution. Its a 3.5 minute surf video from the finals of the Globe Pro surfing contest in Sebastion Florida.

I posted it up to my site at www.AdventureOnline.TV/ch9.php

Its a pretty big file, 200 Meg, so give it 30sec to a minute to start playing (with a broadband connection of course!).

Jack Zhang January 29th, 2006 05:55 PM

Must have taken you at least 8 hours to render, or 4.

Brian Karr January 29th, 2006 06:12 PM

Jack,

The m2t clip was 1.9 gig, the proxy dv file was 2.2 gig.

The video is 3 min 30 secs and it took one hour and 31 min to render.

Max Wilson January 30th, 2006 10:45 AM

PCH Cruise

On Saturday there was a VW cruise with 100+ cars so I figured I would break out the Sticky Pod for the first time.

Here is the video: http://www.pimpedwheels.com/pchcruise/pch.wmv

One suggestion I have is when using the knuckle to the camera it seems like the camera will wobble more, and then I tried using my bogen quick release plate and it made the video very stable and I feel more safe having the camera going 80+ MPH.

http://www.pimpedwheels.com/images/stickypod1.jpg
http://www.pimpedwheels.com/images/stickypod2.jpg

This is the plate I use:
http://www.evsonline.com/merchant2/m...e=577&Category _Code=4B2&Product_Count=0

Geoffrey Engelbrecht January 30th, 2006 10:52 AM

Missing

The trap is set, the victim chosen ... but will they fall for the bait?

http://www.engelbrecht.ch/Missing/movie.shtml

Comments and critics welcome.

This is our fifth short. It was really a learning exercise to try to build suspense and apply some of the things I learnt about action sequences from "Objects in Mirror".

Thanks in advance,

Geoff

Dave Ferdinand January 30th, 2006 04:50 PM

I really liked the sound and music, very atmospheric. Camera work and editing wasn't that great. Some jump-cuts and unclear shots. The first time we see the missing poster - shouldn't it be a CU (it's too far) and show the girl to confuse the audience?

Photography was nice but nothing amazing.

Plot was okay for a 2min. short but a bit predictable. It doesn't make sense for the girl to run into the dark tunnel when she's being chased by someone! The car driver should have left the car too - he nearly ran her over.

Sorry if I'm being a bit anal but I feel I would have enjoyed it more if you polished it a bit.

Geoffrey Engelbrecht January 30th, 2006 05:14 PM

Thanks for the comments Dave.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Ferdinand
The first time we see the missing poster - shouldn't it be a CU (it's too far) and show the girl to confuse the audience?

I don't understand what you mean regarding showing the girl?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Ferdinand
It doesn't make sense for the girl to run into the dark tunnel when she's being chased by someone!

I guess that depends on who is chasing who.

Best Regards,

Geoff

Alec Rossel February 1st, 2006 09:22 PM

THE BAG Trailer online!

Hey everyone,

The trailer for the latest short film from MapTorch FIlms, the people who brought you THE WARNING, is now online. Go check it out at www.maptorch.com/the_bag_trailer.htm. Please feel free to share your thoughts on it.

Thanks for watching!

Alec

Travis Cossel February 2nd, 2006 02:34 AM

The trailer stopped playing about half-way through. Might be my connection, I'm not sure. I have a pretty good connection.

Paul Jefferies February 2nd, 2006 06:07 AM

Hi,
Liked the trailer, looked well shot, although I didn't like the animated title cards (they look too video for me)

Quinn OConnell February 2nd, 2006 06:50 AM

Showreels - Whats The Lowdown*

Hi everyone, just posting a question to those that have compiled reels in the past or are about to...
I have alot of stock footage from a variety of projects and am looking to produce a reel myself.

What do you suggest to put in it:?

How long should it be?

Should it be the best looking images - or crafted film shoot shots - or just a medley of images cut and edited in a way to showcase ones style..

welcome any thoughts and advice on this..

Thanks

Quinn

Alec Rossel February 2nd, 2006 09:44 AM

Thanks for watching guys. That's the sesond comment I've gotten on the titles. I just learned the 3D program I was using and I thought they came out good but I guess I have some work to do.

If it stopped playing it may just be because it was streaming and it had to buffer again.

I will be putting the movie up on the site at the end of February.

Alec

Bryan McCullough February 2nd, 2006 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Cossel
The trailer stopped playing about half-way through. Might be my connection, I'm not sure. I have a pretty good connection.

For me too.

Charles Papert February 2nd, 2006 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinn OConnell
Should it be the best looking images - or crafted film shoot shots - or just a medley of images cut and edited in a way to showcase ones style..Quinn

Umm...yes, yes and yes. Not being facetious here, but that's all good. I keep mine to around 7 minutes and include a brief (under 1 minute) montage at the beginning as an overview, then longer segments to follow. I'm a little unusual in that I like to include dialogue here and there, as I think the constant music tracks I see in most reels sort of lulls me into a stupor, where the dialogue helps bind the images to a story which is how they were intended (and the viewer can always turn off the soundtrack if they choose).

If interested you can see them here.

Alec Rossel February 2nd, 2006 01:41 PM

I think it's because it's streaming and it has to buffer again half way through. I'll post a link where you can right click and save it to yoiur desktop, that way you can download the whole thing and watch it whenever you want. It shouldn't take long to download, it's only around 3 meg.

Quinn OConnell February 2nd, 2006 05:14 PM

Charles,

thanks for the reply and for the link, thats just what i was after a low down and some images to back it up, have taken in alot of your other posts here so thanks for replying..

i guess its about putting something together and then adding and subtracting as and where need - (client depending)..

.. ps: the rear veiw mirror rack focus in your reel was cool man.. steadicam footage was awesome too.. jut got one and had some fun outside last week,, handheld version and not 'wind' friendly.. all a learning curve..

thanks again
Q