DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Show Your Work 2006 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/54679-show-your-work-2006-a.html)

Don Donatello February 2nd, 2006 07:06 PM

what is your "thing" director, editor , DP, producer, production company ? etc .. each would have a slightly different type reel ...
in General !! keep it all the BEST ...
when i view reels ( hiring ) i figure the worst section/spot/clip is the BEST i'm going to get from you/company and most of the time OK is not good enough ... don't make it too long .. a 10 min reel with knock out material is great .. a 10 min reel with OK material is tooooooo long ... remember if they want to see more they'll ask for more ...

Glenn Chan February 2nd, 2006 07:17 PM

Some interesting exceptions:

A- If you've only done student work, don't send in your demo reel.
An editor I know who was looking for assistant editors (for a job of only a few days) would've hired some of the applicants until he saw their reels.

B- One camerman I know doesn't even have a demo reel and gets all his jobs from word of mouth.

Demo reels for camera may not be that great (for the person hiring), since it doesn't show the takes the cameraperson blew.

2- Anyways, I would figure out who your audience is, and what they are looking for.

3- If people ask for demo reels, they might get a huge stack to go through. Typically they will just skim through the reel... put the very best stuff at the first 15 seconds. If it's for a small job, they may not even go through your entire reel.

Charles Papert February 3rd, 2006 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinn OConnell
steadicam footage was awesome too.. jut got one and had some fun outside last week,, handheld version and not 'wind' friendly.. all a learning curve..
Q

Sadly no Steadicam is wind-friendly (or more accurately, no wind is Steadicam-friendly!) but the key is having someone carry a wind block for you--a double net works wonders (less turbulence than with a solid).

James Bridges February 3rd, 2006 09:31 AM

Movie Kicks Off

Finally got finished and looking forward to kicking it off in March. If anyone is interested here is the trailer.

http://www.phigmentphilms.com

Thanks.

John P. Clark February 4th, 2006 01:37 AM

Need your feedback! :)

Hello,

I'm a new DP just about out of film school. I have some of my work available here:

http://www.jpcine.com/portfolio/portfolio.html

I know there are some very experienced and knowledgeable DP's that frequent this site. I'd really appreciate any opinions/comments regarding my work. I'm very happy to hear criticism but please keep it constructive.

Thanks,

JP

Sean Doherty February 4th, 2006 08:40 AM

Call for Entries! 2006 Estes Park Film Festival

The first annual Estes Park Film Festival still has many openings for your film submissions! We are looking for the best independent feature films, documentaries, and short films in all genres. Films accepted into the festival will be eligible to compete for cash prizes up to $1,000, and a chance to attend one of the most exciting events in beautiful Estes Park, Colorado. To enter your film please visit www.sdientertainment.com If you have any questions please e-mail us at info@sdientertainment.com. We hope to see you at the festival!

The Estes Park Film Festival will take place at The Historic Park Theatre September 15th through the 17th, 2006 with an awards ceremony on the final night! The Festival will showcase an amazing blend of independent feature length films, short films, and documentaries. Estes Park, Colorado, Gateway to the Rocky Mountain National Park, is the perfect back-drop for a film festival. Millions of people visit each year to enjoy the shops, golf courses, beautiful mountain scenery, horseback riding, and numerous hiking trails. In addition to the films the Estes Park Film Festival will also serve as a fundraising event to help renovate and restore The Historic Park Theatre to its original cinematic elegance.

Regular Submission Deadline: January 2nd, 2006 – May 1st, 2006:

$30 Features / $20 Shorts / $15 Students

Late Submission Deadline: May 2nd, 2006 – June 1st, 2006:

$35 Features / $25 Shorts / $20 Students

Entries postmarked after the late deadline will not be accepted.

All student film entries must include a photocopy of a valid student I.D.

Paul Jefferies February 4th, 2006 08:27 PM

Hi John
I'm not really a DP so I can't speak too technically about your work, suffice to say if I was looking for a DP your name would be on the list! Theres a real energy and style about your work, although I must say you seem happier on DV than on 16mm (which is not a bad thing)

Daniel Broadway February 5th, 2006 10:21 PM

Invasion Teaser Trailer Release

Hey guys. We wanted to do a film about alien invasion for fun, so here is the teaser trailer for it. Let us know what you think...

(RIGHT-CLICK SAVE AS...)

http://www.danielbroadway.michaelfri...ion_teaser.mov

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...han-in-CAR.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...UFO_Firing.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...IT_CROWBAR.jpg

Rob Lohman February 6th, 2006 03:35 PM

Moved thread to our showcase forum

James Bridges February 6th, 2006 04:26 PM

Looks like fun. How long is your running time?

Daniel Broadway February 6th, 2006 05:30 PM

It will be around 6-7 minutes long once finished.

Daniel Riser February 7th, 2006 03:16 PM

What did you use to build the aliens?

Daniel Broadway February 7th, 2006 05:46 PM

A friend of mine at Frantic Films built the alien in 3ds max.

Matt Ramphal February 7th, 2006 10:06 PM

New short comedy

Quickly put together, mostly improvised. Shot with the DVX on 24p...

http://www.mattramphal.com/room.htm

Daniel Riser February 8th, 2006 03:41 PM

"I may be a pervert" that was my favorite.

Bennis Hahn February 11th, 2006 06:09 PM

Out To Lunch Trailer (Comedy)

I posted some grabs and such a month or so ago but I just finished the trailer for my film Out To Lunch. It's really my first film outside of small 5 minute pieces I have done by myself. A couple of my friend's and I (all around 18) wrote the script and cast out of the drama dept. of my school. This is also my first major project with the DVX. It goes without saying that it's rough around the edges but it is such a blast doing it. We are finishing filming next week and premiering toward the end of March. This trailer will be shown at a huge school-wide assembly (that's another story) and we will hopefully get a lot of people to come and see it. So here it is:

WMV:
Large (18 Meg)

Small (9 Meg)

Any/all feedback wanted! Thanks for looking!

Spike Spiegel February 12th, 2006 11:44 AM

some advice - networks

I don't know how many members here have experience dealing with national networks like Discovery or Scripps etc, but I'm in the process of selling a travel/food show and would like to know what other options there are in terms of potential clients. So far we have targeted National Geo, Discovery, Scripps, PBS and Oxygen...

I know of a few networks that are just starting out and are desperate for good content. Anyone have any more to add? Has to be sort of outdoorsy, think travel channel, host is a female...Hope that info helps..
Muchly appreciated

Devin Doyle February 14th, 2006 03:58 PM

"Rough Road to Glory" 48hr film w/ XL2 + DIY mini35

Hello all! This weekend our production group (par-t-com) participated in a 48 hour film competition here at Ohio University. There were around 28 teams involved in the competition and nearly all of them finished on time. Here were the items we were given:

genre: mockumentary
prop: paper airplane
line: "he's just not that into you"

The result can be viewed here http://par-t-com.net/rough_road.mov. I DP'd the project along with color correction and audio mixing. I got the chance to implement my own DIY mini35 adapter for the first time and I was quite impressed with the results. I can't wait to get out there and shoot more footage with it. At any rate, we took first and were extremely thankful that our work was that well received. It could't have been done without everyone on our crew! At any rate, feedback is welcomed! Thanks for viewing the short.

Travis Cossel February 14th, 2006 06:09 PM

That was awesome! I was into it the whole time. Nothing dragged too long or felt out of place. I think it would have been funny if the guy had been weary those goofy chemistry goggles when he was 'air testing' his paper plane, but it was funny that his eyes were drying out too.

My only complaint would be that it could have use a little bit of color correction maybe and a little better lighting. Very minimal complaint, though.

Great work!

Jeremy Hughes February 15th, 2006 09:24 AM

The concept was great! Loved the acting - you guys should turn that into a longer piece. Everything about it was fun. The other airplane guy reminded me of Dwight from the office for some reason - funny stuff. The outside shots looked great with that adapter. The inside ones looked like they could have been amped up a bit more. Did you guys shoot around Athens?

Devin Doyle February 15th, 2006 10:17 AM

Thanks guys! The interiors could have used stronger lighting, but we were going for a very minimal look to match the genre. That would also explain the color correction, I sapped the color out and upped the contrast (not really apparent on the web compressed version) to give it an older, vintage feel.

We did shoot around Athens, and we're def. going to stretch the piece out. We shot 2 and a half hours of material and had to unfortunately had to cut a lot of it to make the 5 minute cut for the 48 hour competition. There will be a longer cut in the works soon enough. Thanks for watching!

Ryan Graham February 15th, 2006 01:19 PM

"Livelihood" Review and Festival News!

Hi All,

I posted the trailer for our zombie comedy "Livelihood" about a year ago (maybe longer!). You can still check it out at www.livelihoodmovie.com. Well, the film is finally done, and we've been sending it out to festivals and websites for review.

We just had a great review posted at www.microfilmmaker.com. We received the "Editor's Choice" for the month, and also received some nice praise as well as some useful constructive criticism. Here's a short quote from the review:

"With lots of off-the-wall creativity, satirical commentary on our society, and great requotability, this is the sort of film that has the ability to become a cult classic in the vein of Rocky Horror Picture Show, Monty Python & The Holy Grail, and Napoleon Dynamite."

Obviously I'm a little biased because they gave us a rave review, but in all honestly their site seems like a great place to submit your film for review; they're very thorough, they make great suggestions, and they really seem to understand the hard work that goes into making a low-budget digital film.

In other news, we also just found out that we've been accepted to our first film festival: The Backseat Film Festival in Philadelphia! They're the self-described "Drinking Man's Film Festival", so I have no doubt the screening will be tons of fun.

Sincerely,
Ryan Graham
Director, "Livelihood"
www.37point5.com
www.livelihoodmovie.com
www.indiepostproduction.com

Vish Matepi February 17th, 2006 04:53 PM

MTB videos (thevishfiles)

G`day everyone.. i'm fresh off the boat here and still wet behind the ear's in the world of video shooting/editing.. i can't believe how much everyone on these forums helps each other out.. it's like one big happy family, *thumbs up*
my name is vish.. i moved from Australia to Oahu hawaii in April last year, got married and now work for the family business blah blah blah.
as you'll see from some of my videos.. i'm in love with mountain biking.. and shooting/editing it. i don't spend alot of time editing and shoot.. i just slap thing's together and fine tune if i have time, as i'm working for another production company.
i noticed people here are loving "the Collective" and just launched "Roam", i 2 wish i had that talent/time/budget/manpower/etc to use to make kick ass 16mm's like that. you guy's should see "new world disorder 6" it has very very good cable cam shots, with a more MTV style editing to it, and a killer 80's soundtrack haha.
watch these in your own time, or not.. some are long some are short.. some bits boring etc etc.. since the site was launched in May last year.. it's had 14,505 individuals come through.

ok so.. my first helmet camera attempt was this www.thevishfiles.com/helmet2.wmv

then before i left Australia, i complied a video of myself and my stacks.
www.thevishfiles.com/thevishfiles.wmv

this is boring, dont watch it.
www.thevishfiles.com/thevishfiles2.wmv

then i settled in, looking for places to ride/surf etc etc
www.thevishfiles.com/thevishfiles3.wmv

then i met some real riders
www.thevishfiles.com/thevishfiles4.wmv

then i organised a proper shoot
www.thevishfiles.com/thevishfiles5.wmv

this one is all helmet cam stuff, kinda boring. with a bit of bodyboarding.
www.thevishfiles.com/TVF6.wmv

ok so i get my new bike and all the fun starts here.
www.thevishfiles.com/TVF7.wmv

ok so there's a skit i shot for this, but it's not here.. so you'll be watching the 2nd Half of the complete video, plenty of stacks, knocks outs on 60ft tow in's.. etc etc
www.thevishfiles.com/TVF8P2.wmv

all footage shot on a Sony DCR-HC32 with a cheap .5 wide angle made in china.
i just bought a HVR-A1U a couple days ago.. inspired buy that laurence kingston guy, (he is a legend)

thanks for watching.
vish

Vishal Gurung February 18th, 2006 05:00 PM

Holy insane.. never thought i'd see another poster named Vish on here lol... don't mean to hijack your thread but welcome!

Vish Matepi February 19th, 2006 04:27 AM

haha, no worries.. nice too meet you.
i did'nt think people here would be too interested in this stuff.
it's really the opposite to the semi professional stuff done on here.
ahh well.. the little kids like it.
:P

Dean Orewiler February 19th, 2006 10:18 AM

super

looks like a great start. Pretty impressive !! Nice job !!

Patrick Harker February 19th, 2006 11:30 PM

Good stuff Vish, I wish I was moving out to Hawaii! keep them coming

Viktor Bludov February 20th, 2006 01:16 PM

Thanks

Thank you for the great piece of work! nice camera work, well done post production, funny, great actors
Bravo ! :-)

Sean Doherty February 20th, 2006 05:06 PM

Estes Park Film Festival accepting your Short Films!

The first ever Estes Park Film Festival still has many openings in our short film category! www.sdientertainment.com

We are looking for the best indie short films in all genres. Films accepted into the festival will be eligible to compete for cash prizes up to $1,000, and a chance to attend one of the most exciting annual events in beautiful Estes Park, Colorado. To enter your film, please visit www.sdientertainment.com. If you have any questions, please e-mail us at info@sdientertainment.com. We hope to see you at the festival!

The Estes Park Film Festival will take place at The Historic Park Theatre September 15th through the 17th, 2006 with an awards ceremony on the final night! The Festival will showcase an amazing blend of independent feature length films, short films, and documentaries. Estes Park, Colorado, Gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park, is the perfect back-drop for a film festival. Millions of people visit each year to enjoy the shops, golf courses, beautiful mountain scenery, horseback riding, and numerous hiking trails. In addition to the films the Estes Park Film Festival will also serve as a fundraising event to help renovate and restore The Historic Park Theatre to its original cinematic elegance.

The Estes Park Film Festival is also proud to announce that Lighthouse Writers Workshop will offer a one-day intensive screenwriting workshop called "MYTHICAL STRUCTURE" on Saturday September 16th, 2006 at the Historic Park Theatre. The fee for this six hour workshop is $70 for students, festival filmmakers, and Lighthouse members, and $90 for non-members. Sign up info will be posted soon on our web site as well as the Lighthouse Writers web site www.lighthousewriters.com

The Estes Park Film Festival is dedicated to providing a platform for filmmakers from around the world to screen their newest productions in the relaxing and creative atmosphere of Estes Park, Colorado. Our goal is to entertain, inspire, and advance a greater appreciation of independent film.

Regular Submission Deadline: January 2nd, 2006 – May 1st, 2006:
$30 Features / $20 Shorts / $15 Students

Late Submission Deadline: May 2nd, 2006 – June 1st, 2006:
$35 Features / $25 Shorts / $20 Students

Entries postmarked after the late deadline will not be accepted.
All student film entries must include a photocopy of a valid student I.D.
www.sdientertainment.com

Dennis Hingsberg February 21st, 2006 12:18 PM

Sanyo HD1 footage with post applied

So can the new $800 HD camera by Sanyo be used to make an indie feature or short film? After seeing this I don't see why not and now I'm actually considering it.. what do you think?

www.starcentral.ca/dvinfo/hd1post1.mov
right click and save target as - file is 33MB

Viktor Bludov February 21st, 2006 02:27 PM

Nice shots of the subway, but this is not enough footage to tell about the quality. $800 is a good deal for HD!

Pete Mander February 21st, 2006 09:23 PM

Toronto show

hello everone not shure where I should have posted this but Please move this post if nessesary.

I posted alittle while ago On the fan film SEED Ive been working on with some freinds here in Ontario canada.

now with it being done and not really being abule to enter any film contest etc.we have worked hard on this project over the last year and hope with the little experiance we gained from the experiance we can now work on some original movie Ideas and maby get some interest in what we did with no budget and some hard work.

So with this in order for us to get alittle exposure for all the cast and crew efforts and hard work, we are showing the movie in toronto and to raise movey for a charity listed below..

this was a personal project for us and all the costumes designs props and story is origainal we just borrowed the ideas from the well known Movies.

We are excited to announce the official Premiere of our first movie S.E.E.D screening at:

BLOORCINEMA in Toronto Ontario CANADA March 11 2006, doors open at 12.30 pm first screening is at 1:00 and will show again at 2:30 the film run time is 27 minutes.

As part of the venue and a personal endeavour for a few of us whom where part of this project, we are raising money for the Sinai Diabetes hospital also in Toronto, so there will be an admission charge at the door.but with this comes some prizes also.

with your $5.00 admission there will be a number on each card, after the show we will be giving away 15 DVDs a special edition one time only at this show 2 disk set with many extras and a mini poster signed by 4 from the film enclosed and sealed in the DVD.

As part of the fundraiser we are also selling tickets for 2 of the biohelment from the movie .SCANNER and BLADES you can see these on the website listed below. each ticket is $2.00

We hope you are able to make the show as I know it is short notice , we would like for anyone interested to contact Scott Murphy at slider002@rogers.com so we may be able to have an idea on the attendance of the Premiere and for any questions about the show..there is also a map to bloorcinema on our site and at www.bloorcinema.com our site www.seedfilm.com

Hope to see your there!

Jipsi Kinnear February 21st, 2006 09:31 PM

Congrats Pete. I'll try my best to be there, anything to support our local industry.

Joe Strong February 22nd, 2006 03:39 AM

Typisk (GL2 short)

My first serious attempt at film...and I flew by the seat of my pants throughout. Does it show?

I'm aware of a few problems, such as the clock not displaying sufficiently, colour continuity issues in the bathroom scenes, and something I can't put my finger on in the shoe scene. What's really frustrating is the way a key point in the closing shot came out. The turning of the lock should be visible, but it's just dark. You can tell by the shadow something's happened, but it's easy to miss.

The music was taken from some free music site...can't recall which. Probably won't be in the final version.

Any suggestions? Any Swedes want to make sure I'm grammatically correct? It should read "Typical...A film by...The film ends here" heh.

Anyway, here's the link... http://www.zshare.net/video/typiskwmv-wmv.html

Pete Mander February 22nd, 2006 10:35 AM

we have a local industry?...LOL

hope to meet you there..

pete

Travis Cossel February 22nd, 2006 06:43 PM

First of all, I would suggest that anyone wanting to watch this film use the "download" option on the page. The buffering was taking forever for me. Download went much faster.

Now, on to the film itself. I have a little bit of a hard time with the film because it wasn't really entertaining. Granted, you are just showing typical boring things that we do every day, so there's only so much you can do with that, but maybe find a way to make me think that something bigger is coming at the end.

Your composition worked well throughout for me. I think the shot with the shoes might have been improved if you had gone with a tighter shot of just the shoes. It's a little strange to watch a clip where the actor's head is cut off, and being a wide shot, my brain feels like I should be able to see the head. I think maybe that is the sense of 'offness' that you're getting from the clip.

Overall I would maybe shorten the length of every one of the clips. All you have to do with each one is establish what is being done. The clip with the teabag is a prime example. That shot was so long that I lost interest. Shorten all of the clips and I think the whole piece would work better. I would also suggest shortening them to roughly the same clip length. That might help build some consistency and would help keep me watching because subconciously I would 'know' how long I had to see the next shot.

For the last shot, I would reshoot a close-up of the lock, and get some more light on it maybe. You could still show the guy leaving through the door, but then cut to a shot of the lock that was tight.

Try and get some more light in your shots in the future as well.

Anyways, just some suggestions. d:-)

Jeremy Hughes February 23rd, 2006 11:48 AM

Great point Travis. I would agree that speeding up the edit would help a lot. I felt indifferent at the end - neither good or bad. Its short enough and there are enough shots that you could really experiment with the piece as well... what happens if you color grade from say a cool blue to end with a red grade or vise versa. What if you edit all the cuts together same length but leave a couple longer for some reason. What happens to the viewer reactions? Seems like the kinda thing that would work well with that.

Joe Strong February 23rd, 2006 12:21 PM

**I've uploaded the file to another host, but can't edit my original post.**
http://files.filefront.com/Typiskwmv.../fileinfo.html

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Travis, I agree with you 100% on everything you mentioned, especially about maintaining a consistent length for each clip. It does drag at the tea scene, that's for sure.

The shoe shot was tough. I shot and re-shot and re-re-shot and nothing seemed to work. I will definitely strive for a tighter shot, that's for sure.

Lighting is definitely something I need to work on. Having a budget that only allows me to make use of what's available is a bit tough, but I'm sure a few simple adjustments on that camera itself could help out quite a bit. Way to state the obvious, Joe.

Jeremy, that's a good idea about experimenting with colour. I'll definitely play around with that!

Thanks again for the feedback and thanks for watching!

Jeremy Hughes February 24th, 2006 11:35 AM

Tea part still seemed to drag but the concept, maybe bc i know what it was this time, stood out to me more. I'd probably pace it even faster - cut down to around 2:30 or something?

Peter John Ross February 25th, 2006 09:54 AM

[video] Indie Film Tip : Storyboards

http://www.horrorsofwarmovie.com/sto.../thumbs/09.jpg

INDIE FILM TIP: STORYBOARDS

CLICK HERE to see video

3 min - Windows Media

another indie film tip video that talks about the importance of previsualization & storyboarding.

Storyboards by Mike Bruinsma

courtesy of
Horrors of War