Show Your Work 2003 - Page 47 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old December 28th, 2003, 03:36 PM   #691
Major Player

Heh...matter of fact, it WAS an exercise in "let's see what we can do" shooting. I kinda like the idea itself--people fighting chairs--but some sort of a POINT would be nice, I agree. I'm working a story into the new version (I wanna see if I can't improve upon the same concept).
Old December 28th, 2003, 07:03 PM   #692
Regular Crew

Sportbike Racing Feature - Trailer

Hello all. I've just completed my first "real" production. The trailer is now available and I'd like some feedback.

The production is a 20 minute promotional video done for a local gear shop. This trailer is a good overview of the feature. This project was done after about 2 months of practice in Vegas. It's definately a "starting point", and won't compare too well to the outstanding work I've seen from some of you - so don't laugh too hard. I've got lots of room for improvement.

The text overlays in the trailer are pretty basic and boring. They were originally put in as a rough edit - I planned to redo them in After Effects, but the deadline came up before I could get into using AE. The next feature will definately have some better compositing.

Anyway, here's the link to the official site - you can download the trailer from here.

http://clubracing.pixelpointfilms.com

Thanks for looking!
Old December 29th, 2003, 01:32 AM   #693
Major Player

I liked the use of Green Hornet by Al Hirt. -Favorite song from kill bill- though, the song continued energetically even after scenes with energy had ended.
Old January 1st, 2004, 09:20 PM   #694
New Boot

I thought it was kind of cool for being shot on the fly.

Way to go!

Don't be too concerned about others being critical. The thing that is important is that you took an idea and created something that didn't exist and completed it.

Most small films never get completed.

Good job!
Old January 1st, 2004, 10:08 PM   #695
New Boot

Cool video!

Way to go!
Old January 1st, 2004, 10:42 PM   #696
Major Player

I've done a couple shoots in the school library and know exactly what you mean about feeling like an idiot. One thing that might help is that, although it feels like everyone is talking about how much of a moron you are, they're actually having fun. You'd be suprised how many random people will jump at the opportunity to watch the finished video that they saw being shot in the library that one time. And the craziest part is that they don't ever remember those "idiots" making a movie, they remember the fun... which is what its all about. Those we-made-it-in-15-minutes movies are always good for a couple laughs down the line too :).

I always welcome constructive criticism, which it seems you're going for here. Others can point out very usable mistakes and improvements, but usually you are your own BEST critic. You will kick yourself for a lot of stuff along the lines that others aren't concerned with. That's how you develop your own style.

Now for my critique :)...
One good practice to get into, especially with videos like yours, is making the viewer have to figure out what's going on. This can be as simple as opening with a tight shot or two before revealing everything that's going on in the scene. It makes the viewer think "What does this have to do with anything? I'd better watch more to find out."
Instead of the wide shot, you could have opened with a close-up of your pencil/paper, then your facial expression, then reveal to the library setting. It moves along faster and more naturally. Think of it like this, when you walk into a room, you don't notice the entire room right away. You notice the squeeky door, the diagram drawn on the chalkboard, the kid in the corner picking his nose, etc. Then you notice the entire room. Start taking a mental note of how you look at things, then edit the way you see.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work