TCM Feature on SteadiCam. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old January 31st, 2002, 08:59 PM   #16
Wrangler

Mike:

There have been a few Steadicam guys in Connecticut over the years, some of whom have moved up and out to NYC or beyond. I used to be based in Boston and did some occasional work in CT. There is always room for a good operator, but I found you have to claw your way into each client, prove your worth and the need to pay extra for a Steadicam, and keep selling it to them or they will find another way to do it!

As far as flying an XL1, your best choices are a Mini (previously made by CP, now by Tiffen) or a Hollywood Lite. The Steadicam DV was sort of a botch job and has been discontinued--the JR was a better design--but either would be very tiring to fly for any length of time with an XL1.

I always recommend workshops for folks who are serious about Steadicam operating; I'm guessing the Philly workshop is the one you are referring to, and the fact that Garrett still teaches those himself is worth the price of admission! Realistically though, it is probably worth getting some time in on a rig to make sure it is something you want to seriously pursue before making the investment. Hope this helps.
Old January 31st, 2002, 11:01 PM   #17
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hey GraphicsGuy,

I've been pickin' peoples' brains for the last few months on this...I'm going to buy either a Steadicam or Glidecam, but am looking for something used. From the input I've received...

With Steadicam, the SK2 will give you a smoother shot than the Mini. Especially if you're adding additional on board accessories to pack on more weight to the camera.

With Glidecam, V-8 seems to be the model of choice.

Wish I could say I've tried them both, but actually haven't tried either. But having asked a heck of a lot of people over the past few months, I trust the "group" opinions.

Let me know if you want one and I'll put you in touch with a dealer in Korea! ;)
Old February 1st, 2002, 11:59 AM   #18
Machinist Mate

Thanks for the 411 guys...
I kind of suspected it was something I would have to sell aggressively--I need to first get these people convinced that they need to do video communications, then upgrade them later I guess is my plan. Although I was kind of intrigued to learn it--esp. with Garrett as the teacher--it's a not insignificant investment that I'll want to see a return on in a reasonable period.
Thanks for the dealer in Korea info (LOL)--might be easier than getting Frezzi to sell me a simple set of barn doors. ;-)
Old April 11th, 2002, 10:40 PM   #19
ChorizoSmells

steadicam webpages + homemade versions

hi,
I just signed up as a member this week so sorry if my reply is a little late(several months).
been checking out a lot of steadicams pages and found this one:

http://w1.226.telia.com/~u22607422/steadicamhintsandtips.html

I especially liked the one on the steadicam operator's manual of style
(http://filmmakerstore.com/steadicm.htm)

been reading a lot of the other threads, you have a very cool site here, also read the Watchdog a lot before I got my XL-1. recently been thinking about trading in my projector and my vx-1000 and also plop down some cash and get an XL-1S, then I can have a spare plus do some two camera shoots.

thanks for the great site and great people, starting to read the threads everyday, look forward to writing in again.

rik sanchez

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work