DV Challenge for Honour and Glory #1 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old January 28th, 2007, 08:08 PM   #31
Major Player

What happened to everyone else?

Surely there will be more entries....
Old January 29th, 2007, 01:44 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Not sure what happened to others, but your film cracked me up... very funny. It took a couple run throughs, though, to catch the phone conversations in full.... but got funnier as we went through it again. If you could get the phone sound better, it would be great.
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
Not sure what happened to others, but your film cracked me up... very funny. It took a couple run throughs, though, to catch the phone conversations in full.... but got funnier as we went through it again. If you could get the phone sound better, it would be great.
Thanks Chris! I actually made the phone voices and I didn't want them to be as clear as day, but maybe I could improve them a bit. I don't want them to be that difficult to hear. Was it really that difficult to understand them or is it more of a volume issue? Let me know...

Thanks for the nice comments! I have to say that I laughed out loud while editing this one myself. I was hoping that it wasn't just me... :)

As for everyone else.... what happened?

So... 3 entries... looks like I'm going to place this time. ;)
How are we handling the voting?

Alex, are you still around?
Old January 29th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Bruce, Mike:

I think what may have happened is when this got moved over to "Show Your Work", enthusiasm waned.... because it wasn't DVC related anymore. Any way, it was a good excercise in deadlines.

Lets call it a over, and everyone gets a high five.
Old January 29th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #35
Major Player

Chris, any chance that I can run something like this in a different section?

I definitely have the drive since I'm in the early/learning stages. :)

If we can get enough interest I would love to see if we can pull one off.
I'm also willing to devote some web space of my own if needed...

Let me know what you think...

Thanks,

Mike
Old January 29th, 2007, 04:25 PM   #36
Trustee

I think this one probably came too close on the heels of the other two. We had the DVC7 in December, the UWOL challenge early 2 weeks in January and then this one in the latter part of January.

The time and other resources available to most of those who've been doing the regular DVC may be somewhat limited when you start looking at one or two a month.

I had fun with it, but I'm retired with no job or business to keep up with and even then the last couple may have come a bit close for me. Nothing need get in the way of doing something like this on a smaller scale than what was tried here, hoping for most of the gang to jump in.

Even something that just draws 3 or 4 or 5 would still be fun as long as we realized it was likely to stay small. And this "Show Your Work" is as good a place as any as long as it doesn't seem to draw energy away from the regular DVC that Dylan manages.

Bruce Foreman
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #37
Major Player

Well, well, well...I just finished watching all three...
You guys did great!!

I liked them all....
Mike, funny stuff....LOL
Chris, serious message without getting to heavy...nicely done...
Bruce, you really had me wondering where we were going...excellent...

Mike, I did understand the phone talk, but only because I read this first, turned it up and payed attention...
Maybe it was just a little to "telephony"? If that makes sense...

Hey! Don't be disappointed because there was only three completed...
Even though I didn't finish, this was my first video challenge of any kind and I learned a lot about my abilities....
Everything I've done up till now has been event driven. Never had to "create" a story before and I did, script, props, a plan.....
I will be entering the next challenge, whether its DVC8 or Honor and Glory 2 or whatever...

I really think if you do more of these, and space them as best as possible with the other challenges, you'll get more entries.

All good,
Bob T.
Old January 29th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #38
Major Player

How about this... we could start a new contest that's very different from the regular DV Challenge.

We could wait until we get some real interest and also keep it in this forum.

Something like this...

The short must be between 10 and 15 minutes long. (Opening intro/Closing credits included) We could allow a month or two to finish the product considering the length.

Instead of a theme we could all vote/agree on a genre, or just have a free for all.

We could also have rules that include having a trailer finished by the mid-way point. No finished trailer and you're out. That would help fill in the gap and hold interest. We could also ask for some behind the scenes captures at some point as well.

What do you think?

I just want to keep filming! :)
Things like this help to motivate me...

Mike
Old January 29th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #39
Inner Circle

I was kicking around an idea about a film by committee. Say have five units shooting on location five different locations, then have a 6th shoot with every one at one location, say St. Louis.....

Goes something like this: Five different people wake up in five different North american locales, all with a sudden urge to go to St. Louis. The urge is eminating from the St. Louis Arch. The five film units shoot the trials and tribulations each individually has to go throught to get there. Then resolution to everything happens after all arrive in St. Louis.
(by the way, I've never been east of Wyoming, so I don't know what I might be getting myself into...)
Old January 29th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #40
Inner Circle

We'd have to agree on a fairly common shooting style. 16:9 wide. Be nice if all could do HDV.

Script would be a committee thing too. Maybe handled through a yahoo private group, where script ideas are exchanged over several weeks or months till a script was completed.
Old January 30th, 2007, 04:51 AM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrigan
What happened to everyone else?
It just turned out to be bad timing for me; I did have free time in which I could've done something, but between tiring workdays (working in forty degree weather, installing heat in a furniture shop in Brooklyn that had none), a dead monitor (bought in late October of '99, it died at six thirty-nine PM, January 22nd; not too shabby, all things considered), and endless problems with my bank (a check took longer to clear than I'd expected, and the two attempted charges for my DV Multirig were marked as suspicious, thus deactivating my card...the bank never called me to verify), I just haven't had the energy to do anything.

Not all is lost, though. The heat is up and running, I have an excuse to get a fancy widescreen LCD--I'm a CRT kind of guy, but they don't come widescreen, far as I know--and my bank situation has been remedied. I'd wanted to use my dead monitor as my entry, as a matter of fact. See me sitting there, staring at the dark orange picture, trying desperately to convince myself that I can fix it, ultimately having to face the fact that it's gone. But I needed to use the computer, so I had to disconnect the old monitor, and to shoot what I wanted I'd have to move everything back. Not too difficult, just not enough time or energy. Would've been nice to mess around with the Multirig, as well, but it was not to be.

I wouldn't say I lacked enthusiasm for the competition itself simply because it wasn't one of the big ones, it was really just a matter of timing for me. For what it's worth, I couldn't have completed an entry for the UWOL Challenge either, if I'd entered.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 07:22 AM   #42
Major Player

Robert, they do make widescreen CRT's. At least TV's anyway...
My brother bought a small HD widescreen TV for his bedroom. Toshiba made it...

I think it was close to 27"
I'm not sure if it has a VGA input or not...

Sorry you couldn't enter something.

What did you think of the 3 entries?

Mike
Old January 30th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #43
Major Player

Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough for a wide CRT; I'll keep my eyes open, Mike, thanks for the heads up.

I liked the films very much, really funny work! Skip this next part if you haven't seen the films yet, I'm about to ruin the surprises.

Bruce, it was great watching you kick things up a notch: I didn't expect the gun, and the sense of "now it's time for some action!" was wonderful. Thought you might go off and fight some post-apocalyptic zombies, or something. I do suspect someone in that situation might forego a seatbelt, but I can excuse that. I'd put mine on, too. :) What's the story behind the house? It seems to have fit the bill quite nicely.

Chris, I thought your film was very funny, but I think it'd be even better if it were a bit snappier. As far as editing suggestions go, I'd start by eliminating everything before you pick up the bottle. You've got a black screen, hear snoring, then cut to the carpet and couch, so there's a beat or two before your arm swings down. And maybe stay on that shot a little longer; instead of watching the walk to the bathroom, we'd see you walk off camera, then hear the light switch on, a few more footsteps, then cut to a shot of the empty bathroom with the sounds of your..."illness", let's call it.

Other than that, I'd just say the lines sounded a little too on-the-spot. More time to polish and/or rehearse would be the cure for that, I suppose. But then, I don't know how anyone does anything in four hours, let alone make a movie, so good show! Widescreen doesn't look that bad, either. A little soft, maybe, but not the horror so many people make it out to be. Did you have a wide angle lens--not a 16:9 adapter, just a regular wide angle--attached while shooting? Saw some curvy lines in there, mainly the bathroom door frame. Nothing major, though.

Mike, hilarious ending! I would have suggested the doctor call him "Chaz" in the last shot, to maybe mix things up a bit, but the rest of that scene was perfect. The timing when Chuck walks in the door, falls to his knees along with the dialogue, was impeccable. The "sugar" bit was excellent (was recording phone conversations as much of a pain for you as it was for me?), I take it you changed the unseen receptionist's lines after shooting the video?

One thing I noticed--you're gonna love this, I'm sure--is that the video is a bit squashed. I know I said your DVC 7 entry looked squashed horizontally, but now the picture looks squashed vertically. I wish I knew what might cause that, but I'm totally stumped. Two separate distortions from the same camera, I have no idea.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #44
Major Player

Thanks for that Robert!

Yes, I had some issues with the telephone calls in this one. :)
I've actually worked on improving them a bit...

I also plan on posting a new edit tonight. It will be longer, and a little different in spots. If you guys have some time tonight I would love it if you could take a second look and add your critique.

I think I have the aspect ratio problem figured out as well!!

Thanks again,

Mike
Old January 30th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #45
Inner Circle

[QUOTE=Robert Martens]
Widescreen doesn't look that bad, either. A little soft, maybe, but not the horror so many people make it out to be. Did you have a wide angle lens--not a 16:9 adapter, just a regular wide angle--attached while shooting? Saw some curvy lines in there, mainly the bathroom door frame. Nothing major, though.
[QUOTE]

Thanks for comments Robert. Yes, I used the Sony 58mm .7 Wide angle adapter (can't remember number) for the bathroom scenes, as you indicated and certainly had distortion on the door frame. With the dialogue, I shot drunk guy first, all adlib, then shot mirror guy all adlib, hoping to cut in a conversation that made sense.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work