For Glory & Honour: Take 2 - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old March 10th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #121
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Hey Mike:

I wouldn't be discouraged. First time we got three, this time 6, and about 50 percent or so of entrants made movies. Thats about the same as DVC. So hang in there.
Don't worry, I'll be hosting another one after the other challenges are finished. :) I had a lot of fun with this one and I'm looking forward to when my new camera arrives in April. The more practice the better!

Chris, I actually really liked the look of yours, the soft focus was very nice. Do you have any pics of your 35mm adapter to share?

Mike
Old March 10th, 2007, 06:12 PM   #122
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrigan View Post
Thanks for the kind words, Bob!

Well, I noticed a couple of things.

The date on the note and on your office calendar don't coincide. Not a big deal really... maybe it was done on purpose?

You could have probably tried a few more variations with your shots. Some different angles, the odd close up maybe.

In all honesty, I thought you did a great job. It's tough to shoot a film by yourself. I also thought you did a great job with the theme.

What kind of camera did you use?

Mike
Thanks Mike....I didn't even think about the date on the office calendar until I was done, its always set to April Fools day....the note in the kitchen was real, I really went for my physical that day.
If I wasn't so rushed I would have made a new one that said "today"....that would have worked much better.

Your right about different shots...that's what I got out of everyone elses works....it was tough...one man, small house, only had a part of one day.

The camera is a GL2 that just showed up in the mail Monday....I hardly know how to use it yet...
I've only played with this hobby for about a year with a little Pana GS250. I've only done vactions and drag racing videos. First attempt at anything creative.

Can't wait for the next one,
Bob
Old March 10th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #123
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thieda View Post
Thanks Mike....I didn't even think about the date on the office calendar until I was done, its always set to April Fools day....the note in the kitchen was real, I really went for my physical that day.
If I wasn't so rushed I would have made a new one that said "today"....that would have worked much better.

Your right about different shots...that's what I got out of everyone elses works....it was tough...one man, small house, only had a part of one day.

The camera is a GL2 that just showed up in the mail Monday....I hardly know how to use it yet...
I've only played with this hobby for about a year with a little Pana GS250. I've only done vactions and drag racing videos. First attempt at anything creative.

Can't wait for the next one,
Bob
Always April Fools... that's pretty funny! I thought it might be something like that. :)

So... this your first attempt at something like this? Well done! Enjoy the new camera.

I think you did a pretty good job.
Old March 10th, 2007, 09:50 PM   #124
Wrangler

Warning: Spoilers ahead

Hey, I didn’t know these were going to be judged! I’d have tried a little harder. (Not really.) :)

Okay, this is going to be a long post, so brace yourselves…

Bob and “The Last Goose” : Here I was feeling for the newb—thinking we’d have to build you up and say, “There, there…you did a great job.” Pfffft! You did a GREAT job! My screen is a tad lighter than some, but even your darker scenes looked pretty good—I didn’t see grain, anyway.

I watched your movie again and had to laugh at the way you just stayed at the refrigerator and stared in sadness. Now tell me, do some people really daydream all morning about having a beer? LOL!

Mike’s “The Mark” : Doggone it, I got the same feeling while watching Di Niro’s “The Good Shepherd.” Hate being dull-witted here, but….I don’t get it! :) My son had to explain “Shepherd” to me, so if you’ll help me out here it will be much appreciated. Technically, as usual, you did a really nice job.

Mike T. and his “Cold Beer” : You do such wonderful comedy! Loved the way the door closed and revealed “Mrs. Battleaxe” standing there. And you were both so believable. Your attention to detail (tasting the beer from your shirt—hahaha!!!, audio touches, etc.) really adds to the fun. Beautiful color, as Bob mentioned earlier.

I always look forward to your movies, Mike. Glad you got that little Sadie in there, but would she really want us seeing the “gifts” she leaves for you? LOL!

p.s. Hey, where’d ya get that Bluegrass music? You knew I’d like that! ;)

Chris and “Homecoming” : You got me on this one. I kept anticipating seeing the soldier’s face…and you never revealed it! Nice story.

You’re doing a great job with the 35mm adapter you built—the images are quite pretty. I agree with your assessment of the “selective focus" usage, but that’s a big part of why we should do these things—to practice techniques with our stuff. In your case it’s really paying off.

Last but certainly not least—Dennis and “Man Sans Muse” : *sigh* Mike H. has a guy vomiting in a toilet and you had to show us Jay Barlowe sitting on one! I think you and Jay are both insane. But this was one funny movie.

In particular, I loved the way our hero moved just enough to reveal the writing on the shower wall. Subtleties are important--although, the Tommy Hilfiger briefs almost fell into the TMI category. ;)

Tell Mr. Barlowe that this is my favorite of all the roles he’s played, and as usual, you told a great story, Dennis.

By the way, what’s that on Jay’s head when he’s doing the “omm” thing?

Edit: I added the title about spoilers way late because I forgot about your request, Mike. I'm used to the free-for-all at the DV Challenge. Please forgive...

Last edited by Lorinda Norton; March 11th, 2007 at 12:24 AM.
Lorinda Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #125
Major Player

That's a bra, ala "Weird Science". ;)
Dennis Khaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 12:13 AM   #126
Inner Circle

Quote:
Don't worry, I'll be hosting another one after the other challenges are finished. :) I had a lot of fun with this one and I'm looking forward to when my new camera arrives in April. The more practice the better!

Chris, I actually really liked the look of yours, the soft focus was very nice. Do you have any pics of your 35mm adapter to share?

Mike
Here they are in its latest incarnation. Let me point out some fine points.

1. Note the finely milled aluminum finish throughout :)

2. Note the finely milled ABS plastic pipe spacer between camera and adapter :)

3. Monitor is a $99 Polaroid DVD player from Walmart that actually has a image flip function.

4. Hoodman for viewing LCD is made from an old campaign sign from my lawn, and black tape, and a piece of elastic.
Attached Thumbnails
For Glory & Honour: Take 2-dsc00069.jpg   For Glory & Honour: Take 2-dsc00070.jpg  

For Glory & Honour: Take 2-dsc00071.jpg   For Glory & Honour: Take 2-dsc00072.jpg  

Old March 11th, 2007, 07:21 AM   #127
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post

Mike’s “The Mark” : Doggone it, I got the same feeling while watching Di Niro’s “The Good Shepherd.” Hate being dull-witted here, but….I don’t get it! :) My son had to explain “Shepherd” to me, so if you’ll help me out here it will be much appreciated. Technically, as usual, you did a really nice job.
Have your son watch it for me and let me know if he gets it. :)

I ran this one by a few people who knew nothing about the movie and they all got it without any help from me. I know Bob got it as well.

It is definitely one of those movies that you could have to watch twice.

It is also best viewed with a good pair of headphones, or speakers.

If you watch it again and still don't get it just email me and I'll sum it up for you. I have faith in you though.

Cheers,

Mike
Old March 11th, 2007, 07:22 AM   #128
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Khaye View Post
That's a bra, ala "Weird Science". ;)
I got that one Dennis, I laughed pretty damn hard!

;)

If you have the time, please comment on the other movies when you get a chance.

Thanks,

Mike
Old March 11th, 2007, 07:27 AM   #129
Major Player

Quote:
Here they are in its latest incarnation. Let me point out some fine points.

1. Note the finely milled aluminum finish throughout :)

2. Note the finely milled ABS plastic pipe spacer between camera and adapter :)

3. Monitor is a $99 Polaroid DVD player from Walmart that actually has a image flip function.

4. Hoodman for viewing LCD is made from an old campaign sign from my lawn, and black tape, and a piece of elastic.
Chris,
How do you get the pictures to show up like that? I thought image tags didn't work here?

Compared to what I have... that is some serious equipment!
Nice work! You're obviously very handy.

Also, if you have time to post a mini-review of the 5 other movies please do.

Thanks,

Mike
Old March 11th, 2007, 07:30 AM   #130
Major Player

Quote:
Hey, I didn’t know these were going to be judged! I’d have tried a little harder. (Not really.) :)

Well, it is for honour & Glory! Only one can hold that title. ;)

Edit: I added the title about spoilers way late because I forgot about your request, Mike. I'm used to the free-for-all at the DV Challenge. Please forgive...

No problem, if we all had individual threads like in the DVC it wouldn't really be a problem.
Cheers,

Mike
Old March 11th, 2007, 07:57 AM   #131
Major Player

Quote:
Bob and “The Last Goose” : Here I was feeling for the newb—thinking we’d have to build you up and say, “There, there…you did a great job.” Pfffft! You did a GREAT job! My screen is a tad lighter than some, but even your darker scenes looked pretty good—I didn’t see grain, anyway.

I watched your movie again and had to laugh at the way you just stayed at the refrigerator and stared in sadness. Now tell me, do some people really daydream all morning about having a beer? LOL!
Thank you very much....I was a little nervous about my first effort.
I was very surprized how well the camera worked with just normal indoor lighting having been used to smaller/cheaper cameras. Still, I really wished I'd taken/made the time to add a light on those kitchen shots. I was backlit pretty well from the windows behind me.
I also found out how hard it is to use a full sized tripod in a small galley kitchen. :)

As for the beer. My sister gave me a box of assorted "beers from around the world" at Christmas. That bottle of Goose Island was the last one left. Sadly, when I finally drank it before I shot the scene with Amy, I didn't like it that much.
I'm really a Miller Lite guy, like Mike.

I'm thinkin' I'll be signin' up for the next one and maybe the next DVC.

Bob T.
Old March 11th, 2007, 11:24 AM   #132
Inner Circle

Quote:
Chris,
How do you get the pictures to show up like that? I thought image tags didn't work here?

Compared to what I have... that is some serious equipment!
Nice work! You're obviously very handy.

Also, if you have time to post a mini-review of the 5 other movies please do.

Thanks,

Mike
When you open the box to reply, there should be a box beneath it called "additional options". Click on manage attachments. I assume it is available to all users....
Old March 11th, 2007, 12:00 PM   #133
Inner Circle

My Reviews

First, I am by no means pretending to be an ultimate expert in anything I indicate below. I kind of dislike these post mortems, but realize they were and are necessary for me to improve at my processes. So anything I am conveying here is offered in that same light. I also use my wife's reactions to give you an idea how someone less involve is reacting.

In general, I thought all the entries in this one were well produced, compared to what we've seen in other contests. Seems like these were all serious efforts, as opposed to some we have seen in other contests. All should be congratulated.

Bob Thieda: Last Goose

Anticipation theme was well formed. We knew right of he was waiting for something. This is the first of the two wife steals beer films I saw, so the idea was fresher. Visuals were good and decently lit, though I would like to have seen more camera angles, and more cut aways. I was interested in what "Bob" did from his home... having worked that way for a while myself.

Michael Horrigan: The Mark

Great visuals, camera angles, and a great cinematic feel. You seem to have a gift for that. As I recall, your equipment is limited, but this film goes to show what you can do with just hard work. Sound for the phone calls was still an issue, though, and the "computerized" voice was hard to follow, and the ending left a bit of shock with me, and my wife when she first saw it.

Mike Teutsch: A Cold Beer

Your films always have that underlying "poking fun at myself" feel to them, and this one continues with that. Your wife is also very tough, and made not bones about you issue :) Funny. I also like the way you speed things up to get through the more mundane things. I'm sure if you had more takes at the beer spill, or maybe more teeshirts, you would have gotten a more convincing fall forward by the tender, but at $5.00 a glass, your budget may have suffered. I wonder, did you try to "slowmo" the spill ?

Lorinda Norton: Dog Days

Having tried to corral 4 kids, and only succeeded with 3, I know the difficulties with setting up these shots. Great fun, and again, use of theme was maintained well. The faces of the dogs were so experessive, in their wait for you ..

Dennis Khaye: Man Sans Muse

This one made my wife laugh throughout, on her first view, until the end. It was second time through for me when she watched, and I caught on better the second time, and laughed to. As and aside, the toilet scene is a bit shocking to some audiences. Depending on your audience, and given the story line, the question arises is it just to add shock value, or what. Wife said that wasn't something she needed to see...
Old March 11th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #134
Major Player

Quote:
First, I am by no means pretending to be an ultimate expert in anything I indicate below. I kind of dislike these post mortems, but realize they were and are necessary for me to improve at my processes. So anything I am conveying here is offered in that same light. I also use my wife's reactions to give you an idea how someone less involve is reacting.
I think we all appreciate the criticism's. I know I do. :)
It's the only way to learn.

Yes, my equipment consists of an old camcorder, and all the voices were recorded with the tiny on camera mic. I did my best with the phone call/voice-mail and tested it on a few people who had no idea what was being said. They all got about 80 to 90% of it. That was good enough for me.

I'm hoping to improve on that though... :)

I find that listening to this one with headphones, or through speakers makes a big difference. It sounds like garbage through my little laptop speakers.

I find that it actually sounds pretty good with headphones.

Once again, I appreciate the critique!
I plan on throwing out a few more thoughts on some of the others later tonight.

Mike
Old March 11th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #135
Regular Crew

Couple of notes on each one. If yours isn't mentioned, I actually thought it was fine :) But a few things stuck out to me watching these entries. And appologies for not getting in my own entry...I completely forgot about the due date, tried to throw it together last minute, and it didn't work out. On the upside, since we had the script anyway, we're just going to shoot it next weekend. I'll be sure to throw it on here, lol.

Anyway...

The Mark: The one thing that really struck me was "Oh my gosh blue..." when he went outdoors. I assume you did the blue because of the cold...I just think the blue was far too saturated. It looked like a wrong white balance. Maybe if you had desaturated it slightly, while still being tinted blue, it would've worked out. Just didn't look believably natural. Pretty good other than that, though... Good use of the "Kyrie" from...either Bach or Duraflay? I feel bad I'm not 100% sure... Shows you have some knowledge of the Latin text, 'cause it fit :) Well done on that one.

A Cold Beer: At the 17 second mark, he's clearly heading out the door. When she tells him "I don't think so" he's right back where he started in front of the refrigerator. You have to watch continuity like this, it gets away from you so easily. You forget what happened in the last take, etc. Having a dog, your montage made me smile :) The "walk through the camera" shot could've been cut a little quicker. It looks like he stops in front of the camera, then starts walking again...you want a smooth transition without that jar of stop and start. Cool shot, though. You enjoy your "Fast Foward" feature a BIT too much. Maybe if you'd cut back on it and just use it for emphasis where it's really needed. The montage was good for fast forward, even some of the driving...but it's just slightly too much. Ever so slightly. Cut back the FF a bit. :) For some reason, the ending just wasn't a "climactic funny" to top it off, it felt a little underdone. Maybe if you'd cut it into separate angles instead of one single shot as she trips, it would've worked out. Anyway, nice short overall, it made me chuckle, always good :)

Homecoming: It dragged a bit...but I must say...35mm adapter? Some fancy DOF work, along with some catchy cinematography. It's just...that whole thing could've been about 1/2 as long and been more powerful. Interlacing killed you in the final few shots, they turned into nothing but lines as they went to give him a hug. Threw me. The acting on the "bored" girl was a bit excessive...though I guess that's forgivable on budget filmaking, lol. The music was cheesy enough to work, but the fact that it was a lot of the same thing made it monotonous. The same trumpet with...what...a low backdrop of strings? Just got boring. You'd need like a voicing switch, have the melody go to the strings, something like that. I don't know what track you used, so I can't suggest anything specific, but it needs to change up for anything over about a minute, or it just gets dreary. Did I mention nice DOF work? It was a 35mm adapter, ya? How much did it put you back? Speaking of DOF, watch at the "nap" shot as you panned across the couch. For a good chunk of time, everything but the center cushion of the couch was out of focus...it was a really jarring focus, lol. You should've waited until you got all the way over to the third girl before racking focus so you don't emphasize the couch cushions :) Very professional shots though, good one.

Dog Days: Cute, very cute, adorable, fluffy doggies. Not a lot else... It was shot almost documentary style, but in a way that REQUIRED an informative narrator telling us the eating habits of dogs and how to properly care for them. Because you lacked that, it sort of strayed the line between "narrative" and "documentary", never really going either way...and you really need to go one way or the other. Really cute shots, cute dogs, nice picture on the camera...but just very uninspired. It needed more, something more.

Man sans Muse: First of all, a muse is connotated as a musical storyteller, no? Though I guess it could apply to all art forms. Well, with that out of the way.

This was really boring. It took you far too long to get where you were going. By the time Beethoven started up, I was completely gone from the story, didn't care very much about your character anymore. Lots of shots of the same thing. Now, him blowing the pen cap at the screen. All you need is a 3 second clip of that, then like 2 second crossfades of all the days with a subtitle. You just drew it out REAAAALLY long. This could've accomplished the same thing in under a minute, methinks. Same message, would've been funnied 'cause it was tighter, etc. Not much to say about acting or cinematography 'cause there wasn't much of either, good or bad. And that's FINE, you gotta make up for it with something though. Hence, the art of editing.

Fun entries...I really wish I could've taken part, but time escaped me (mentally). Good entries. I haven't read the later posts, so idk if anyone's won yet, but if I HAD to choose a winner...hmm...

Guess I won't share :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work