DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Show Your Work 2008 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/94990-show-your-work-2008-a.html)

Edward Carlson July 7th, 2008 03:14 PM

I like the first one. The second one sounds too much like the THX sound. Still a good sound, but kinda cheesy. I really like the concept, too.

Kevin Spahr July 7th, 2008 04:36 PM

Now THAT reel should win an award! Why wait lets give him one :

==== THE AWARD FOR BEST REEL ====

Oren Arieli July 7th, 2008 05:21 PM

Ditto, go with #1

Perrone Ford July 7th, 2008 05:55 PM

Work like that should be preceded by three words:

"For your consideration"

Cue, acceptance speech from the Kodak Theatre...

Derrick A.Jones July 7th, 2008 06:52 PM

Very nice trailer!!

I like the affects you had on the trailer man that was very nice man!! I would like to see this in whole if there's a chance you could post it up after the festival

Derrick A.Jones July 7th, 2008 07:09 PM

this movie is awesome I love the quality and the story! And a very believable storyline also good stuff man

Buba Kastorski July 8th, 2008 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Sands (Post 903777)
...the shots were all great, a lot of them seemed too long and slowed the pace somewhat.

I second that, plus for tha pace of the track flashes are too long (MHO)
thanks for sharing!

Sam Mendolia July 8th, 2008 08:46 AM

Totally awesome.

Reminds me of the days when I built large Vivariums.
Unfortunately, I didn't have a video camera then.

What are you feeding the animals, so that they don't feed on each other.

Again, awesome footage, it was like I was there, looking through the glass.

Greg Rothschild July 8th, 2008 08:56 AM

Thanks!
Choosing the fish, and corals for that matter, is a tricky thing- each and every creature you add to the tank has to be evaluated to make sure there will be no trouble. Luckily there are lots of interesting fish and corals that can live together peacefully. I feed them a variety of food like mysis shrimp, blood worms, brine shrimp, spirulina flakes and even seaweed. Most of the fish browse on algae and bugs that live on and in the rocks all day long. I've got a couple fish that don't eat anything I add to the tank- they live off the land so to speak.

Dylan Couper July 8th, 2008 08:56 AM

Very nice. I like your tridacna gigas. I miss my reef tank. It's sitting empty in my parent's garage... probably like 90% of the aquariums out there.

Solomon Chase July 8th, 2008 06:06 PM

"Control" - Made for the Atlanta 48 Hour Film Project

Did the 48 Hour Film Project last week, and here's the result: http://batteryfire.com/48/
Shot on HV20 and HV30 with Brevis MP.1 Flip.

Derek Nickell July 9th, 2008 12:02 AM

Pike's Peak Doc - "Why?" (Shooting Title)

So. I am working with a 50 year old stun man by the name of Jeff Jensen. (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0421501/)

He contacts me to shoot a documentary about why racers race, even at 50 years old. So, pretty much we take off tomorrow morning at 7am to film Jeff on a Ducati Monster Dual-Sport bike from here to Pike's Peak Colorado. He will be doing over 400 miles a day on the bike and then racing the hill climb without tweaking on the bike, and then ride it home. Principle photog is from today the 8th until the 23rd of July.

Ill pull some screenies when I can and post em.

Shot on an HPX500 and a Canon KJ13x6B KRS.

Derek.

Louis Maddalena July 9th, 2008 03:44 PM

I would say that it is a good reel but if you want people to look at you as a cinematographer you may want to show some full screen shots so you can actually see you work with out the graphics, and such covering it. But if you want that as your intro I would say, go slightly shorter before you go into your real work.

Louis Maddalena July 9th, 2008 03:45 PM

nobody has any advice? criticisms?

Richard Gooderick July 9th, 2008 04:30 PM

My take on this is that the presentation is slick and professional but I'd prefer the graphic treatment to be a lot shorter ie as an intro, and then I'd want to get into some real filmic stuff.

My eyesight isn't what it was but can many people read most of that type? I felt I was doing an eye test. And the text zooming out of screen towards me in the drama scene was completely unreadable.

The footage of fishing and deer was not that engaging. It looked like stuff that is pretty easy to shoot and didn't therefore impress. Once I had seen it I didn't want to see it again. Once was enough.

I found it a bit confusing that textual information kept popping up all over the place. It was difficult to track that and keep my eye on the video.

I thought that the drama excerpts were a bit gory and melodramatic and not very subtle but that's probably just my own preference. You can probably ignore me on that.

People will need to be pretty quick off the mark to get your contact details at the end of the showreel before they too disappear.

Overall I think that having seen this I wouldn't really be sure what kind of work you are best at ie where your focus lies.

This probably sounds a lot more negative than it's meant to sound. Overall it's stylish and punchy but I think you need to get more feedback on the stream of information that's being delivered and the ability of the viewer to absorb it. Which is what you are doing. So that's good.