IBC Theatre Presentation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old August 21st, 2008, 10:24 PM   #1
Trustee

IBC Theatre Presentation

Hello Everyone,

For those who are visiting IBC this year, there will be a nice treat for you, and a great chance to see footage shot with the SI-2K camera system on the big-screen via 2K digital projection. This will be a wonderful opportunity to see what a "cinema-experience" with SI-2K footage can look like, so if you're going to IBC, and you have questions about how the footage will look when projected, this is an excellent opportunity and venue for that level of evaluation.

The event will be Sept. 13th at 13:30. You can contact us for more information.

We will also be demonstrating the SI-2K at the P+S Technik booth, located in Hall 11 at 11.E28.

Thanks,

Jason
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 01:43 AM   #2
Tourist

Decision at IBC

I will be at the IBC where I want to make a choice between SI-2K and Red. Unfortunately the 13th is impossible for me and that's exactly the issue I wouldn't like to miss.
Workflow is in favor of SI-2K, I like the fact that the SI-2K seems a lot more comfortable with fast shootings, but I haven't seen as many material as I have with Red where Red seems to outperform with it's 4K.
Johan Pabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 04:09 PM   #3
Trustee

You can contact P+S Technik to see about any alternatives that might be available for large-venue screening of SI-2K material.

Thanks,

Jason
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 10:02 PM   #4
Silicon Imaging

Netherlands D-Cinema SI-2K Contact

If you need to test out the camera and view footage after the show you may want to contact:

Name: S.A.J. Vos
Address: R. Dieselstraat 6
City: Amsterdam Holland
Email Address: phantaspencer@gmail.com
Phone Number: +31 625042616
Clipmaker.info
Phantalassa - home
Camera Rentals

Here are a few press snippets I received from them:

1st Dutch documentary shot on Silicon Imaging SI-2K.
By Koert Davidse, director seriousFilm, Rotterdam

We are delighted to be the 1st Dutch documentary which is filmed with the Silicon Imaging SI-2K. I am very enthusiastic with the quality of the 2K material. The documentary " Zijn Verloren Land" which we make take place in dark spaces with a little light except the natural surroundings. These are really rather extreme circumstances, think of an interior shot within in one farmer barn with just one dusty window as fill light. The SI-2K is for me what I had expected of it and the tool which was necessary for this documentary. I have shot my earlier films on super16mm and some on HD video. But the SI-2K gives me the real film feeling with much detail and deep blacks and natural colours.

For the documentary 'Zijn Verloren Land (Dutch)' I have chosen to shoot almost everything ' handheld' using my Easyrig. The SI-2 camera is further in development than the other 2K competitor and as system is considerably stable. There is touchscherm which can be connected to the camera but I have worked with the electronic viewfinder. Very usefull are the focus assist and the full colour zebra. For this documentary I have shot everything on 2K (2048x1152). Before shooting this documentary I have shot some test material. Using the easy workflow with the codec and Final Cut Pro we renderd out to DPX. Using the Nukoda for grading I watched the test projected by a 2K Barco at Valkiezer Capital Images.

Dutch/Russian music clip shot with the Silicon Imaging SI-2K
By Ton Peters, cinematographer (NSC)

The female Russian singer Nathasia Smolina shot her newest video clip on the Silicon Imaging SI-2K. In the clip plays the upcoming Dutch band " The Yellow Pearl". The clip has been shot in 3 days in "The Fabrique" in Maarsen- Holland. That is many days to shoot a music-clip in Holland and give room for experiments. There is the mini head possibility wherby the film lens with SI-2K sensorblok (10 X 15 cm) can be extended up to 50 meters of the camerabody. Advantage is that you can use the camera for example super low-angles and/or fast movements. The clip will be ready in September possibly also be brought out in the Netherlands (in Russian). The director/ cinematographer Anthony Huiskamp has already gained much experience with other HD- and ultra HD camera' s but I find the pictures which come from SI-2K nicer. There less artefacts in the picture and the quality is simply better. Because it records on removable harddisk of 4 hours you do not have to change memory cards every couple of minutes or by the end of each HD tape. Working with the SI-2K for this production has pleased me well and by the end of august I will shoot my the second with the SI-2K from Phantalassa probably with two SI-2K camera's.

In 2007, Phantalassa ordered its first SI-2K and have two SI-2K camera's so that a backup is guaranteed. Also they have much experience with this camera and the workflow. Phantalassa joined the Amsterdam rental house Camera Rentals for technical support and rentals. Anthony Huiskamp, director/producer

Particularly the deep blacks and the information which is still there in almost black is what I as cinematographer expect from shooting analogue film. That the mini head can be separately of the body gives possibilities such as hanging the mini head on a small microphoneboom. The camera works with 3D LUT technology so in post I can redo all my choises and start over working in the raw material. After working with the SI-2K I would never go for HD-video for a next project.

Valkieser Capital images is ready for raw data from SI-2K.
Jasper Wolf, Valkieser Capital images.

For a testshoot concerning a new documentary for seriousFilm, a Rotterdam-Holland based filmproduction company, cinematographer Ton Peters (NSC) did a 2K workflow- and viewing test of the SI-2K material here at Valkieser Capital Images in Amsterdam-Holland. Our editor Diederik Veelo has worked as such :

We First installed the Cineform codec to be able to change the 3DLUT' s as sequence settings in FCP and Neutral 2383 as .look file to see colour in Final Cut Pro. Apple Shake to export to the DPX format necessary for our grader. The rendering of 1 hour SI-2K material lasted 4 hours. Meanwhile it is possible to render out much faster. Then the DPX files has gone to our grader. For this test it has been this way but I could have chosen to disable all metadata in the codec to have the .raw (without .look) renderd to dpx.

To maintain all information in the deep blacks and to give the grader the possibility to work in the raw files without the 3DLUT metadata, just as working with a scanned filmnegative. In our 2K projection room our grader Daphne Marienna used the Nukoda Digital Grading and used our 2K Barco projector. This test has passed through and we had no problems rendering the SI-2K material or choosing any of the .look files after installing the Cineform codec.
Ari Presler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 05:36 AM   #5
Tourist

I will

That's very usefull information. Thank you very much.
Johan Pabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 08:36 AM   #6
Trustee

Just a quick reminder again that the D-Cinema showing is this Saturday at 1:30PM (13:30) in the IBC Theater. Please contact us or P+S Techink for more information.

Thanks,

Jason
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K