Music Video with SI-2K - AUDIO PLAYBACK question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old February 19th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #1
Trustee

Music Video with SI-2K - AUDIO PLAYBACK question

As in here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...ml#post1488190

Need to shoot a music video.

Looking for the best workflow, that would allow to easily sync video segments shot to the music score in post...

Is there any specific benefit that SI-2K can offer in this area?
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 03:13 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi

1. If you do not need TC of your footage then you can use decent audio recorder that will play back TC as well - use this over USB TC converter in SI2K head

2. If you do need Video TC then record the TC to audio channels and later use it as aux-TC

-Kaspar
Kaspar Kallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 03:19 AM   #3
Trustee

Kaspar, thanks.

Questions:

#1 - any chance for step by step?

#2 - yes, I just generated a music file where audio was all panned to the Left channel while LTC was on the Right channel. It will be easy to then play back Left via amp, and record Right to the cam's audio. Question: does Premiere Pro 2.0 display aux TC info? That's what I use for editing. But I cannot find Aux TC function in PPro...

Thanks.

Last edited by Alex Raskin; February 22nd, 2010 at 04:17 AM.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:08 PM   #4
Trustee

OK, update.

Just did some extensive tests and I think there's NO need to jam the TC with audio.

Here's what worked:

- Get your WAV file playback via laptop, using BWF Pro software displaying audio timecode full-screen

- When you start your cue (no matter where in the playback it is positioned), just make the laptop screen visible to the camera for a couple seconds. This way cam records the visual reference to the audio timecode.

I thought this would be a major inconvenience, but given the huge size of the font showing that running audio TC on the laptop screen, TC is clearly visible to the cam almost under any conditions. So not a real issue here.

- Record your videos, then sync in post based on visual TC references.

I found this method to be extremely easy and accurate, much more so than trying to match waveforms by hand in post (something I was doing before.)

Kudos to BWF software maker, great little program.

Here's the reference URL:

BWF-Widget Broadcast Wave File Utility

(I'm not connected with them in any way, so this is not a shill. I am very impressed with their software so far. Will definitely buy it when my trial expires.)

Now on to making music videos :)
Old February 25th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #5
Trustee

...and even a simpler solution, basically what others already suggested before.

In your fav NLE, make a 23.98p base SD project.

Render SD video of your audio soundtrack with timecode roll taking entire screen.

White on black for the best contrast.

I render into mov video, then play back on laptop with Quicktime player.

Seems to be frame-accurate, and QT player allows easy In-Out markers and selection-only playback. All the while displaying the timecode on screen from the video.

That's it.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K