SI2K and Metabones BMPCC Speedbooster - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old August 10th, 2019, 10:56 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: SI2K and Metabones BMPCC Speedbooster

Joe.

Unless you are using the R1 in windowed S16 mode, you may be better off with a Speedbooster Ultra optic to the R1's full sensor from full size stills lenses. Because of the front element of the Speedbooster optical cell getting is the way, you cannot use most traditional cine film lenses. However the lenses approved for the Speedbooster Ultra optic will work fine.

I have used one in a custom mount on a Blackmagic "Big" URSA camera which has enough throat space to accommodate the optical cell. You would have to do a custom design for the IMS-Mount but it would not be hard. Unlike the later RED camera families with the sensor set so far back in the camera body, there is more workspace.

I don't know where the IR/anti-aliasing filter sits relative to the sensor on the R1 so that could be an inconvenience if it is too far forward both for the IMS-Mount Speedbooster mod I made for the SI2K and the Ultra Speedbooster mod I made for the "Big" URSA.

The rear element of the Ultra optical cell sits further forward of the sensor than the S16 version for the original BM Pocket camera. The Ultra optical cell extends the usefullness of the "big" URSA in that it can more closely match the BM URSA Mini 4.6K in the available field-of-view for a given lens focal length and also adds nearly one stop to the camera's ability in low light.

I was actually encouraged in the "Big" URSA experiment by similar developments here on the forum with the later generation of RED cameras.

Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2019, 11:00 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Re: SI2K and Metabones BMPCC Speedbooster

Further to the preceding reply here is some detail about the "Big" URSA fitment.

https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blackma...rsa-4k-pl.html

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/v...ooster#p362389

If you want to go the Speedbooster Ultra 0.7x route, I will see if I can find my design drawings which would enable you to calculate the offsets for the IMS-Mount.

Last edited by Bob Hart; August 10th, 2019 at 11:07 AM. Reason: added web address
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K