Feature Requests - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old May 31st, 2006, 07:49 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Presler
Are you going to be using traditional Cinema gear (follow-focus, etc...)?
Ari, I know that you already made me the same question before. And if I mentioned my setup since PL mount to the affordable F or c-mount, I can add now as far as feasible. Even for the affordable gear. See this ring for follow focus work:

http://www.filmcamerakit.com/html/le...ifications.htm

À propos de GG, why? Is there F mount to Nikkor SLR, n'est-ce pas?
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:50 PM   #32
Silicon Imaging

Mathieu,

Can you explain in more detail? My Frenglish is not very good lately :-) !!

Joe,

Yes, we agree. We have discussed the eSATA for the SiliconHD DVR.

Giuseppe,

We do need a fan and therefore the unit will not be completely sealed. With the new Intel dual core the heat levels are going down and we should be able to use smaller and quieter fans. If you need complete silence in a particalar shot use the Mini and record remote...
Ari Presler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 01:29 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Mathieu,

Can you explain in more detail? My Frenglish is not very good lately :-) !!
You can bet :) No big deal...

Why Ground Glass converters if you offer a F mount?

*PS*

en ce qui concerne (that is: concerning, in english) the size/weight . . .

A) How much smaller or lighter = better.

B) To have a big camera only to leave a good impression to the actors, it's not a smart way. I know Kiefer posted somewhere that he was concerned with the new HD cameras (if I'm not wrong the 24 series crew have been testing some small 1/3" chip cameras to the job) . . . but not the actors with whom I'm used to work. Even if I'm not sure it was Kiefer himself saying that or someone quoting him . . . The indie world is not Hollywood nor the advertisement market . . . where the agencies don't want digital because they need higher budgets not lower ones. The DPs either. I'm sorry but that's the way it is. Nevertheless, some people are thinking that the camera must look professional in order to be professional or the others can be accept them as professionals. In the movie making, that's NOT accurate.

C) If you wish to get your core business it will not be in hollywood, surely . . . but into real indie world. Where a feature doesn't mean necessarily fiction (and my work is essentially fiction). Follow the Sundance river and you will get the ocean, non-fiction as well.

Last edited by Mathieu Kassovitz; June 1st, 2006 at 02:29 AM.
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 02:31 AM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Giuseppe,

We do need a fan and therefore the unit will not be completely sealed. With the new Intel dual core the heat levels are going down and we should be able to use smaller and quieter fans. If you need complete silence in a particalar shot use the Mini and record remote...
Thats actually a wonderful idea that I didnt think of... simple, works, perfect.

Love it.
Giuseppe Pugliese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 09:08 AM   #35
Major Player

Will it be able to use standard prime Super 16mm film lenses? That would be nice.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 10:47 AM   #36
Trustee

Yes, that is PL-mount.
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 03:12 AM   #37
Major Player

Also, this is a seperate thread, but because I'm very self-concious I didn't want to start another thread. Anyway, a question for the Silicon team. THe cineform codec which is embedded in the architechture of the your model, is the codec upgradeable, so when a new version comes out of the codec you can update. If so, how?

If this has been asked before slap me with a wet fish.
Yasser Kassana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 05:26 AM   #38
Silicon Imaging

Software/Codec Upgrades

Software upgrades will be available for download from the website (Silicon or Cineform). Typically, when you install ProspectHD the codecs are automatically installed (at least for the decoders).
Old June 6th, 2006, 07:53 AM   #39
Major Player

Sorry my fault for not being detailed enough. I mean the camera hardware itself, say there's a bug or something like that, would the firmware for the silicon be downloaded to fix a bug within the camera?
Yasser Kassana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 08:12 AM   #40
Silicon Imaging

Firmware Upgrade

Mama Mia..... It's In there :-) !

Firmware upgrades for the SILICON cameras are already operational and supported by the software...

Last edited by Ari Presler; June 6th, 2006 at 12:41 PM.
Old June 6th, 2006, 12:38 PM   #41
Trustee

BTW, as a slight clarification, most of what we're doing is happening in software on the camera controller (embedded PC or laptop or whatever). You will hardly ever need to upgrade the firmware on the camera head, so we have a very flexible platform that can go beyond the fairly simple upgrades you get with most firmware updates (which typically only add a feature or two, and usually nothing "major", like software updates can provide. For instance, look at how many features you get and improvements from Final Cut 3.0 to 5.0, or Premiere Pro 1.0 to 2.0, or After Effects 6.x to 7.x, or OSX 10.3 to 10.4, etc. You start to get the idea of how we can manipulate, improve, etc. software vs. hardware-based firmware updates).

The only limitation we have on software updates and features are the capabilities of the host processing module (embedded PC, laptop, etc.).
Old June 6th, 2006, 02:08 PM   #42
Trustee

BTW, the above post was just to clarify that we're not completely firmware-based. The camera head firmware is basic operational stuff to make the camera head run and output bits (and send messages to the chip to control the basic camera operation).
Old June 7th, 2006, 03:12 AM   #43
Major Player

Right on and cleared.
Yasser Kassana is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K