Lens Changes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old July 3rd, 2007, 06:14 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Lens Changes

Hello,

Is the SI2K meant to operate in a way where lenses are changed often?

My question is related to possible dust on the sensor.

With DSLRs, changing lenses too often can lead to needing to clean the sensor often as well.

How does the SI2K act in this regard?

Thank you
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 03:05 AM   #2
Inner Circle

There was a discussion about this subject on CML. It seemed to conclude that cleaning the sensor on cameras like the SI 2K and RED will have to become a routine operation like checking the gate on a film camera.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 06:14 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Cleaning is not that big of a problem if the sensor is protected and was designed to be cleaned easily.
Old July 4th, 2007, 06:22 AM   #4
Trustee

Yes, you can easily pull off the low-pass filter if you need access to the sensor itself. Cleaning that is a matter of using some good lens cleaning fluid on *dampened* (not wet) lens tissue.
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 07:20 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hello Jason.

So the sensor cleaning is not as delicate as cleaning a DSLR sensor where a lot of people say not to even touch the sensor?

Thanks
Old July 5th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #6
Trustee

There's a piece of solid glass in front of the sensor itself . . . I'd still be very gentle, and only use somethign as soft as lens cleaning tissue and have it ONLY DAMP (so you don't drip anything), but it's not like touching the sensor is going to cause harm. I've cleaned the sensor itself many times and have had no issues.
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007, 12:57 PM   #7
Regular Crew

for what it is worth, I've had to clean the sensor initially after receiving it (mine is a preproduction model that I got back in December), but I'm very pleased with the lack of dust since. It has undergone frequent lens changes on a dusty set without being covered (between lenses) for three weeks, and less rigorous shooting indoors and outdoors since, and I haven't had any dust return. Not sure why, but I'm quite pleased.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K