Sony FDR-AX100 - Page 112 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old August 8th, 2014, 08:38 AM   #1666
Major Player

Re: Sony FDR-AX100

Does the AX100 still zoom and autofocus when shooting 120fps? And is the 120fps only at 720p?
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 09:34 AM   #1667
Inner Circle

Will it play in camera?
Old August 8th, 2014, 11:43 AM   #1668
Regular Crew

I no longer have the file on the sd card...I tried to put it back on the sd card and play it and it was no go.
Travis Heberling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 11:49 AM   #1669
Inner Circle

In the future, consider making sure your project is working for you before you delete the original on the card.

After a wedding I download files and pull everything into Vegas, sync it up completely, and make sure it all looks good before I reformat card. I then copy the entire project and video files onto a backup hard drive for editing at a later time.

Good luck, someone here will likely have a suggestion for you to try.
Old August 8th, 2014, 03:06 PM   #1670
Inner Circle

Going to take a flyer here and ask if the file that won't play was part of a larger file (IOW was this a longer clip that was divided in camera into two clips?). If that's the case, maybe if you stitch the two files together properly it will play...

That's my guess at least.

And have you tried viewing the file with Sony's Play Memories Home program?
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 04:52 PM   #1671
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Heberling View Post
Hello everyone!

I was using the Sony FDR AX100 to film a wedding the other day as the B camera. One of my files won't seem to open. It shows up in my finder shows the size of the file and appears to be a normal video file. Only difference is it doesn't seem to have the meta data file and won't show a thumbnail. When I try to open the file nothing plays and if I import into Premiere it causes the program to crash....

I have opened large files off this camera before with no issues so whats up with this one did it get corrupt somehow?

I also contacted sony about this issue and I got no responds =/

Thanks!
Did you use Sony Play Memories Home to transfer the file to the PC ? Just reading off the card is not always the best. For all my Sony cameras I use the supplied transfer software.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 04:56 PM   #1672
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Heberling View Post
Hello everyone!

I was using the Sony FDR AX100 to film a wedding the other day as the B camera. One of my files won't seem to open. It shows up in my finder shows the size of the file and appears to be a normal video file. Only difference is it doesn't seem to have the meta data file and won't show a thumbnail. When I try to open the file nothing plays and if I import into Premiere it causes the program to crash....

I have opened large files off this camera before with no issues so whats up with this one did it get corrupt somehow?

I also contacted sony about this issue and I got no responds =/

Thanks!
Did the camera battery die before you could stop recording? If so then yes the file can't be open. The software to close out the file on the camera does not work in 4K mode. Not sure if it's XAVC-S or just the 4K mode. This is what I did as it has happened to me twice. I went to this site and paid for their service. I had a 11min clip and it was worth it for that particular job.

Video Repair Tool
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 11:29 PM   #1673
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dixon View Post
Does the AX100 still zoom and autofocus when shooting 120fps? And is the 120fps only at 720p?
Yes, you can zoom and autofocus works normally. Resolution is fixed at 1280x720. Files are saved as 120fps progressive MP4 with a 50Mbps bit rate. They play back at normal speed, so in Vegas I have to stretch them out x4 to get slow mo. Peaking works. Touch screen focus does not work.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2014, 06:45 AM   #1674
Major Player

Mark - thanks for the info.

The 4K bridge camera FZ1000 from Panasonic had drawn my attention for its slow motion capabilities, but it has several drawbacks. Its initially advertised 720p240fps mode has evidently been dropped from production models. It does offer 1080p120fps, but exposure, focus, zoom, white balance, etc. are all locked down at the start of recording. No thanks.
Old August 9th, 2014, 06:59 AM   #1675
Major Player

I have the FZ200 and it's the same way., when shooting a sky to shade scene, I have to compromise on the exposure level, lock it in with a half-press on the record button. It has a nice image and would still be useful if you record scenes with static light levels. Need to put it up for sale. It's a PAL model.

If you can afford to wait a bit, the FDR-AX100 might get a price drop in the U.S. like it has in Japan. Possibly when Sony releases their pro version of it.

Mark

Last edited by Mark Watson; August 9th, 2014 at 07:02 AM. Reason: spelling
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2014, 07:20 AM   #1676
Major Player

Yes, I'm in no rush and my current plan is to wait and see what new models and price changes happen.
Old August 9th, 2014, 10:10 PM   #1677
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa View Post
Did the camera battery die before you could stop recording? If so then yes the file can't be open. The software to close out the file on the camera does not work in 4K mode. Not sure if it's XAVC-S or just the 4K mode. This is what I did as it has happened to me twice. I went to this site and paid for their service. I had a 11min clip and it was worth it for that particular job.

Video Repair Tool

The battery did not die. I just stopped recording when it was done .
Travis Heberling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 03:27 PM   #1678
Major Player

Time for a new section??

I really think it's time discussion of this little camera moved out of a single thread in the News section and into a normal section of the Sony Cameras forum, where each topic can have its own thread. Maybe it can share space with the new X70? Mods? What can you do? Where do you want to put it? The "Sony XAVC and XDCAM Camera Systems" section looks like a good place to me.
Old August 13th, 2014, 07:23 AM   #1679
Go Cycle

Agree with Mark.
Old August 13th, 2014, 06:10 PM   #1680
Major Player

Re: Time for a new section??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fry View Post
I really think it's time discussion of this little camera moved out of a single thread in the News section and into a normal section of the Sony Cameras forum, where each topic can have its own thread. Maybe it can share space with the new X70? Mods? What can you do? Where do you want to put it? The "Sony XAVC and XDCAM Camera Systems" section looks like a good place to me.
I really agree with this. The so far 112 pages in this thread seem to be an indication of the very high interest in this camera. Yes, it could be in a new class including the PXW-X70, and any new cameras Sony brings to this family. The FDR-AX100 is quickly becoming my go-to video camera, and I'd like to see a section where users of the camera could trade information, and anyone interested in the camera could learn more.

Another useful section would be 'all about 4K'. How do you shoot, edit, display, store, distribute and market, and everything else 4K. My venture into 4K at the 'prosumer and low end professional level' has been pretty much in a vacuum; the technology is just emerging and no one knows the whole story of what works and doesn't work. 4K is amazing and once into it you don't go back; it seems to deserve a section in the forum.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds