Sony FDR-AX100 - Page 121 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old March 19th, 2015, 12:03 PM   #1801
Regular Crew

Re: Sony FDR-AX100

Wow!....so even a better picture?...I'll have to order a new chip!
Len Imbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2015, 01:55 PM   #1802
Inner Circle

Got to get some "u3" memory myself...

XAVCS @50Mbps requires SDXC, but even a "slow" speed card has been working fine, faster is definitely better for responsiveness/data transfer, but the slow cheap one I got at first worked

Looking forward to the higher bitrate 100Mbps XAVCS, doubling the potential amount of "data" in the mix should be a noticeable improvement on an already impressive image. I suspect a "fast" U1 card "could" handle the higher bitrate, but to ensure that there were no "gotchas", Sony decided to make the camera look for a "U3", where there will be more headroom.

With the higher bitrates and more data intensive codecs, I guess buying a new top rated card is just going to be part of "upgrading"! Life on the bleeding edge isn't cheap, but at least it looks like those U3 Transcend 64G cards aren't terribly expensive! I paid more $/G for the "slow" U1 SDXC cards not that long ago!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2015, 02:00 PM   #1803
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Smith View Post
Denny, could you explain in what way focus has significantly improved?

Many thanks
Andy
Hi Andy,
The focus is faster, and there is significantly less hunting for that "sweet spot".
Denny
Dennis Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2015, 02:34 PM   #1804
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post

With the higher bitrates and more data intensive codecs, I guess buying a new top rated card is just going to be part of "upgrading"! Life on the bleeding edge isn't cheap, but at least it looks like those U3 Transcend 64G cards aren't terribly expensive! I paid more $/G for the "slow" U1 SDXC cards not that long ago!
I'm just thrilled that with the upgrade I get a camcorder that's better than what I initially bought....and I can use my old cards as storage or emergency backups to record on.
Len Imbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2015, 04:02 AM   #1805
New Boot

Recording a music concert two hours:
- Several .mts files are generated 1,97GB
- When they get together in the timeline are lost 2 seconds between each file. It is normal?
- With a Panasonic TM900 files produced 3.99 GB
Vicent Frases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2015, 05:55 AM   #1806
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicent Frases View Post
Recording a music concert two hours:
- Several .mts files are generated 1,97GB
- When they get together in the timeline are lost 2 seconds between each file. It is normal?
- With a Panasonic TM900 files produced 3.99 GB
Use Sony PlayMemories software that came with the camera to transfer clips to the PC. It will make a single clip without any loss of audio. Will place in a directory named as the date of transfer and name the clip by the date and time it was shot.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 12:48 PM   #1807
New Boot

Ok. I should have tried before.
Thank you very much.
Vicent Frases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2015, 08:56 AM   #1808
Major Player

Re: Sony FDR-AX100 - cold shoe adapter revisited

Have been on the look-out for a solution to mount my accessories to the camera and today I found this item. It's got a higher profile to it than some might prefer, but for lightweight use, I think it will work for me. I started to attach a SmallHD DP6 monitor but changed my mind. A little too much mass up there.

It handled my microphone, wireless receiver and LED light okay. It's solid, doesn't come off unless you loosen it. The foot is notched to prevent contact with the electrical connector inside.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Sony FDR-AX100-shoe-adapter-1.jpg   Sony FDR-AX100-shoe-adapter-2.jpg  

Sony FDR-AX100-shoe-adapter-3.jpg   Sony FDR-AX100-shoe-adapter-4.jpg  

Sony FDR-AX100-shoe-adapter-5.jpg  
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 09:12 PM   #1809
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Watson View Post
Have been on the look-out for a solution to mount my accessories to the camera and today I found this item. It's got a higher profile to it than some might prefer, but for lightweight use, I think it will work for me. I started to attach a SmallHD DP6 monitor but changed my mind. A little too much mass up there.

It handled my microphone, wireless receiver and LED light okay. It's solid, doesn't come off unless you loosen it. The foot is notched to prevent contact with the electrical connector inside.

Mark
Hi Mark, I'm curious to know where you found this adapter and for how much? Do you have a link to the seller where you got yours from?
Ralph Gereg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 10:40 PM   #1810
Major Player

Ralph,

I got mine at a chain store in Japan, called Yodobashi Camera. I looked for a link to include in my earlier post but didn't find anything, nor anything at B&H or Amazon that was like this adapter.

Here's a link to their English web-site. If you contact them, it would be best to attach the package pictures I'm including here, just to make it easy for them to know what you're wanting.

www.yodobashi.com

I'd be happy to pick one up for you, but I'm travelling out of Japan right now and won't be back until October.

Price was about $30.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Sony FDR-AX100-cold-shoe-adapter-package-1.jpg   Sony FDR-AX100-cold-shoe-adapter-package-2.jpg  

Sony FDR-AX100-cold-shoe-adapter-front-view.jpg  
Old July 22nd, 2015, 04:47 AM   #1811
Inner Circle

This a Sony adapter without the bounce feature.Multi-Interface Shoe Adapter - ADPMAC Review | Sony Store U.S. - Sony US but it does lift out above the shoemount

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2015, 07:43 AM   #1812
Trustee

I got this one. Works fine:

Fotasy MISU Sony Multi-Interface Shoe to Universal Cold Shoe Adapter (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PHQOHBU..._Zb6RvbY7BH7SX
Old July 22nd, 2015, 07:52 AM   #1813
Major Player

I have that adapter Ron is talking about also, and it's useless unless you want to use (certain) Sony stuff only. I got it to work with a couple Sony microphones they had on display. It's like their multi-port adapter that takes two other adapter cables to connect to a STANDARD LANC plug. That Sony hotshoe adapter is too narrow for anything else. The bounce adapter works with standard sized accessories. Measurement of a standard accessory looks to be about 23/32" or 18mm.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Sony FDR-AX100-sony-adapter.jpg  

Last edited by Mark Watson; July 22nd, 2015 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Add pic. Fix grammar.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 08:07 AM   #1814
Regular Crew

Thanks Guys! I'll be doing a bit of research today on this and report back if I come across anything worthwhile.
Ralph Gereg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2015, 09:35 AM   #1815
Inner Circle

This is the one you need, period. It's solid metal. I have one for each of my AX100s. Initially I went the stupid Sony accesories route and had to buy two pieces to accomplish the same thing. What a waste.

This one from DM accesories is perfect, but you need to check it for tightness every few hours if you put a big load on it, it will slowly untighten. But I'm very very happy with it.

DM-Accessories ? MIS-SHOE - Universal shoe mount for Sony cameras with MIS mount
Attached Thumbnails
Sony FDR-AX100-mis-camera_2_large.jpg  

Last edited by Jeff Harper; July 22nd, 2015 at 01:08 PM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds