Latest Upgrade Date for the SONY X-70 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old February 26th, 2015, 09:16 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Latest Upgrade Date for the SONY X-70

Supposedly someone was told at the Sony booth at BVE that the 4K upgrade is free unless you need 25p.

If this is true, I don't know if that translates into 24p in the states costing but 30p being free.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 11:02 PM   #17
Trustee

24p has always been the "pay option" at Sony, I think they mean/assume 25/30p is free?

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 02:22 AM   #18
Regular Crew

upgrade specs have to be revised!!

This specs are an insolence and "wrong"!

Sony tell´s us that the PXW-X70´s "...Image sampling is 4:2:2 10-bit with high-efficiency Long-GOP compression at 50 Mbps, 35 Mbps or 25 Mbps. The PXW-X70 is also 4K ready and can handle 4K recordings with a future upgrade (fee required)."

This is stated here:
PXW-X70 (PXWX70) : Product Overview : Other : Sony Professional

In no sentence 4:2:2 10-bit is restricted to FullHD or anything else, the statement is global for the camera, so this has to be also valid for the headline´s advertised 4k upgrade (that only become´s a QFHD upgrade, I don´t find any 4k/4096 resolution anywhere).

The camcorder won´t be a competition for the FS7, not with that sensor, so please give us the promised and advertised 4:2:2 10-bit in QFHD!!!

Only 60Mbps is another joke as the consumer 33/100 cameras get 100Mbps soon.

Sony, continue with this and you will leave more and more customers! Seems it´s not already bad enough for Sony.
Roland Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 07:19 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Not sure about German but when one starts a new sentence in English it is a new sentence and new content restricted to the sentence. The same paragraph would imply similar subject only. That is why legal documents have long sentences. From the sentence mentioned in the Sony spec the 4K could be any form not even mxf. ""The PXW-X70 is also 4K ready and can handle 4K recordings with a future upgrade (fee required)."" No mention of format at all in the sentence.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 12:23 PM   #20
Trustee

Ron, I think the fact that he quotes Sony saying "is" and then extrapolates tat to mean "will be" says enough about that thought process. My wife is 32 years old, and will be a CEO next year. His logic would dictate that a year from now she must still be 32. :)

Paul
Old February 27th, 2015, 12:37 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Not sure about German but when one starts a new sentence in English it is a new sentence and new content restricted to the sentence. The same paragraph would imply similar subject only. That is why legal documents have long sentences. From the sentence mentioned in the Sony spec the 4K could be any form not even mxf. ""The PXW-X70 is also 4K ready and can handle 4K recordings with a future upgrade (fee required)."" No mention of format at all in the sentence.

Ron Evans
Ron, I'm with you: If the sentence was "Image sampling is 4:2:2 10-bit -with current formats- with high-efficiency Long-GOP compression at 50 Mbps, 35 Mbps or 25 Mbps", than they could bring "4k" with whatever they want.

But here the paragraph is headlined "...4k ready" and the specs follow with 4:2:2 10-bit etc... The german translation on the german website is even more clear (Darueberhinaus...), bring 4k with 4:2:2, and more important, 10-bit!!!
Old February 27th, 2015, 12:40 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post
Ron, I think the fact that he quotes Sony saying "is" and then extrapolates tat to mean "will be" says enough about that thought process. My wife is 32 years old, and will be a CEO next year. His logic would dictate that a year from now she must still be 32. :)

Paul
Hmm, image sampling has nothing to do with "age".
You could sample 16k in three years at 4:2:2 10-bit, but if you're 40 you won't be 40 one year later!
Old March 3rd, 2015, 04:03 AM   #23
Tourist

Oh wow... I'm happy I didn't rush out and buy this. I think I might just buy an AX100, I'd much rather work with DSLRs but it doesn't seem like there will be a 4k APS-C sensor camera (which to me is my preferred sensor after a full frame, and I have not worked with a full frame yet) for quite some time. As for the x70 audio advantages, I do all my audio externally anyways, I'd never use that feature.
Jesse Angell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 04:59 AM   #24
Inner Circle

The samsung nx1 is aps-c and 4K. If you don't need xlr, then you are better of getting a ax100.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 06:00 AM   #25
Major Player

Rather than compare the X70 ($2,300) to the AX100 ($1,700), compare it to the HDR-CX900 ($1,300). Neither have 4K. The FDR-AX100 is the same as the CX900, except that it has 4K, and that difference, at current prices is $400.

So, for an extra $1,000 you got:
XLR Inputs, SDI, time code, assignable buttons, picture profiles, menu joystick, higher resolution LCD, full-size HDMI, S&Q motion (1-60p), 10-bit 4:2:2 50MBPS, X-AVC L, histogram, dual card slots, a handle.

It also lost a couple things; 720 120p high frame rate, still photos.

Consider this; to get XLR inputs on the CX900, Sony sells their XLR-K1M XLR Adapter for $800. Let's say $650 value since they also include a microphone which if bought separately would be about $150. And this adapter doesn't include a handle!. Don't all those other improvements come at a fair price for another $350?

The added fee for the 4K upgrade seems justified.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 06:22 AM   #26
Go Cycle

Actually the Ax100 works with the less expensive. Sony XLR KI 2 which is less than 600 dollars with the microphone. Purchased it.

I dumped the 70. Already had the Ax-100. Same picture quality and buttons in the right place including a wheel for on the fly color adjustments. Perfect for the nasty LED lighting.

Pocketed the cash and purchased the KI 2. I already have 4K and both the XAVC and 4k will be increased to 100Mb/s with the free firmware update. FREE.

I really don't miss the the X70.YES it has profiles, but I adjust in post anyway.

I would have spent 500 US dollars or so to upgrade the X70 for something I already own.
Old March 10th, 2015, 01:46 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dixon View Post
Has everyone seen this:

HD Warrior » Blog Archiv » BVE 2015 Day TWO

Scroll down to info on the X70 - supposedly someone was told at the Sony booth at BVE that the 4K upgrade is free unless you need 25p.

If this is true, I don't know if that translates into 24p in the states costing but 30p being free.
No you've got that completely wrong - they're basically saying that the next firmware update is free (it makes the X70 'capable' of 4K), however you will need to buy a license code to activate the 4K recoding. The HD warrior article only mentions 25p as he is UK based & we use PAL over here - no where does the statement imply that 4K25 will be a free upgrade.

Sorry to spoil the party for you!
Paul Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 03:25 AM   #28
Trustee

Can we jail-break our X70's? :-)

Paul
Old March 10th, 2015, 07:57 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Just wondering if anyone knows Sony's plans: Once the 4K upgrade comes online, does this mean that all future versions of the X-70 will have working 4K, presumably with a new premium price-point? Or will there only continue to be the current (upgradable) HD version? Or will there perhaps be two versions, a 4K and a HD (upgradable)?
Terence Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 08:31 PM   #30
Major Player

I don't think they've announced what they're doing along those lines. Maybe it will be like the Canon C100 - there was a $500 autofocus upgrade for the C100 Mark 1. For a time you could buy the basic camera or one for $500 extra that already had the upgrade applied. But this is just speculation.

Of course now Canon has released the Mark 2 which only comes with the autofocus.

I'm still very happy with the camera, but will definitely wait to see the quality of the 4K before deciding whether it's worth it or not.
David Dixon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds