x70 XAVC-L codec and Vegas Pro 13 news - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old April 8th, 2015, 03:33 AM   #31
Trustee

Re: x70 XAVC-L codec and Vegas Pro 13 news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa View Post
Yes both HD and 4k xavc-L I placed on the timeline. Works. HD is very smooth no problems. 4k is too processor heavy for my current setup. I was getting 2fps playback 4k in the draft preview. Need to upgrade my PC :/
Good to hear. Monday I reported your success back to SCS so they are now aware that it's not all XAVC-L cameras that are having these import issues with the files not being recognized. At the present time it appears to be the X70 only that's run aground with this issue.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2015, 06:23 AM   #32
Major Player

Christopher, Priotr from this forum also experienced poor preview playback with xavc-L 4k. Here's a link to a clip.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x9fh938rikhkghg/0339.MXF?dl=0

Are you seeing the same poor performance? Is this an issue as well with fs7 4k xavc-L?
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 02:55 AM   #33
Trustee

Well I just downloaded this clip and it appears to be 100-mbit 8-bit 4:2:0 Intra frame. Interestingly it also displays the Transfer characteristic as IEC 61966-2-4 like the X70. It also shows a different codec ID. Playback wise? V13 build 444 opens it no problem but struggling to get better than 3-5 fps playback? Plays back in MPHC build 178 64-bit no problems whatsoever at the full 24p with only about 2% GPU load. In Vegas though... I couldn't work with it that's for sure.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Old April 9th, 2015, 03:17 AM   #34
Inner Circle

I agree completely about the Vegas payback problems, but why do you say it's intraframe? Catalyst Browse reports it as AVC Long...
Attached Thumbnails
x70 XAVC-L codec and Vegas Pro 13 news-avclong.jpg  
Old April 9th, 2015, 03:49 AM   #35
Trustee

Sorry Piotr. You are right it is Long GOP with a GOP structure of M=3, N=6 whereas if it were I-Frame it should read N=1. I had a number of info files open at the time trying to compare the inner workings of these various codecs and one of the m was from an F55 I-Frame clip. In my haste I have obviously looked at the wrong file info list... Doh!

Still wonder why the playback is so screwed. I guess it's going to take a lot more CPU power in my case, meaning a new powerhouse PC. It's either that or work in proxy mode then render out in full res.

All very interesting but frustrating!

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Old April 9th, 2015, 04:33 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Young View Post
Still wonder why the playback is so screwed. I guess it's going to take a lot more CPU power in my case, meaning a new powerhouse PC.
Yeah... Interesting enough - while we're at CPU power - is that at VP 13 444 playback, the CPU is only loaded up to some 40%, and GPU - even less (apart perhaps from Best/Full mode, which is useless anyway). This clearly shows how inefficient SCS's implementation of the codec is - plenty of room for optimization. When (if?) it's ever done by Sony, it might turn out that our CPUs are up to the task, after all (as I said in another post, other 4k clips - the XAVC-S in particular, and those are also just 8 bit, 420 - my current PC can play full fps at Full/Best)...

Piotr
Old April 14th, 2015, 07:45 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Chris,
Looking at the news from NAB it appears that Sony plans to replace Vegas with Catalyst when all the features get added much like final cut X. Do you have any insight on this?
Jay Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 07:36 AM   #38
Trustee

Jay ~

Seriously I can't say too much. My contact is out of the office because he is at NAB. I will quiz him some more on his return. The last I heard from him was just prior to NAB and he said "Appreciate it if this were kept confidential for now." This relates to a number of things so all I can say is that there is movement at the station. Sorry I can't be more helpful but as soon as I hear anything and am able to talk about it I will post.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Old April 15th, 2015, 01:29 PM   #39
Major Player

Jay,they aren't replacing Vegas at all,talked to guy at nab for awhile,it's a very easy program for quick edits to convert,export
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 01:17 PM   #40
Major Player

I'm having no luck using Sony X-70 files in the latest Vegas (444). I see them in Vegas explorer but cannot bring them to the timeline. I shot in XAVC-L 1080 60p. As a workaround I'm using Catalyst Browse to convert them from XAVC to XAVC which not only takes forever and doubles the files size but the clips have raised black levels when brought into Vegas.

Come on Sony... this is your own codec and other software programs are already working with it.
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 11:30 PM   #41
Trustee

Marc, the levels issue is one that presents itself only under BATCH transcode method. If you do one clip at a time, the levels will be the same as the original clip. :-)

PITA Sony!

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 07:22 PM   #42
Major Player

Thanks for the info Paul. I ended up downloading the trial version of Catalyst Prepare which does not suffer from the levels issue when batch transcoding. Hopefully Sony will solve this issue soon.
Old April 27th, 2015, 10:28 AM   #43
Major Player

I just had a chat with Sony Tech Support concerning the ongoing compatibility issues with Sony X70 and Vegas. They told me it's high priority but could not give me a fix date.

They suggested I use Catalyst Browse. I explained to them that Browse screws up the black levels on clips when batch converting. They did not know this but confirmed it once I sent them images.

Next they suggested I convert each clip one at a time to solve this issue since they have no idea when this will be fixed. I explained this is not practical and suggested they give me a copy of Catalyst Prepare which does not screw up levels until this is fixed. They declined.

So let me get this straight... I bought a Sony Camera and use Sony Editing Software but I have to either buy another Sony product I do not need as a workaround or switch to programs like Adobe CC, Edius etc. that actually work with files created by SONY?

I'm really disappointed with this company. They do not back up their products.
Old April 27th, 2015, 10:54 AM   #44
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Salvatore View Post
INext they suggested I convert each clip one at a time to solve this issue since they have no idea when this will be fixed. I explained this is not practical and suggested they give me a copy of Catalyst Prepare which does not screw up levels until this is fixed. They declined.
For me (Catalyst Browse on a Mac and working with XAVC-L from a PXW-X70), I get the levels issue no matter how I import (batch vs individual).

This weekend I ran through every permutation of imports using Browse, Prepare (trial) and EditReady (trial). Both Prepare and EditReady didn't have any levels issue.

As a software engineer, I can only guess at how messed up Sony's code base is. Both Browse and Prepare should share the same exact code base for features included in both (e.g. transcoding).
Ricky Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 11:28 AM   #45
Major Player

The tech person told me they added batch transcoding to Browse as a bandaid until XAVC-L support was added to other programs. Based on the history of Sony Vegas support and long lingering bugs I won't be holding my breath for a fix.
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds