x70 price drop/new cam coming - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old April 17th, 2015, 09:53 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: x70 price drop/new cam coming

From what I've seen of the JVC GY-HM200E (web reviews and footage), the Sony X70 could have some serious competition. Link below to a well known/respected UK supplier.

Buy - JVC GY-HM200E (GYHM200E) 4K Ultra HD Live Streaming Camcorder

Watch Rick Young's moviemachine.tv review (went live 16th April 2015) of this JVC and you'll see where I'm coming from (...I won't directly link it here out of courtesy to Chris).
Old April 17th, 2015, 10:41 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
From what I've seen of the JVC GY-HM200E (web reviews and footage), the Sony X70 could have some serious competition.
As a FCP X user, I do like hearing the ease of bringing in footage. Knowing now that the X70 has a $200 added cost (for Catalyst), that brings the price close to the JVC. And if the X70's reduced price doesn't hold, you're now just about even.

For the life of me though, I cannot find specs on their 4K. I wonder if it's 8-bit 4:2:0 just as with the X70. The only time 4:2:2 is mentioned is for recording HD.

I do plan to only capture HD footage for the short term. However, if whatever I purchase can give 4:2:2 4K, it may be worth an experiment to see if post-downscaled footage would be better than in-camera HD.
Ricky Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 11:07 AM   #18
Regular Crew

JVC GY-HM200E has a 1/2.3-inch back side Illuminated CMOS Sensor - completely different animal!
Paul Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 12:05 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Yes I know. About a quarter of the size of the sensor in the X70 (so low light and DOF will suffer) - but footage looks reasonable (for the price).

And of course there is the LS 300 (with it's much larger sensor and it's clever lens mount/mapping option) if you want to spend more...

Jury's still out on the quality of the footage from that - but certainly interesting.

I guess, for 4K, it comes down to a bigger sensor with a cr@p bit rate codec versus a smaller sensor with a reasonable bit rate codec.
Old April 17th, 2015, 05:39 PM   #20
Major Player

Just sold my AX100 and picked up the X70. I really like all of the improvements over the AX100. Sony has finally realized what I longed for my MC50 to be some years ago. A fully manual pro small form factor camera. The XLR handle is top notch and feels like it's a permanent part of the camera yet can be easily removed if needed. Extra assignable buttons and EX1 like menu are really nice.

I'll miss the 4K capability but hopefully Sony will sell the upgrade for less than the $500 rumored cost.
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds