PXW-X70 Frimware v2.0 is released! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old June 7th, 2015, 07:20 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: PXW-X70 Frimware v2.0 is released!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post
The HM200 is selling for like $2700.....so by Sony dropping the base price of the X70 to $2000, with 4K upgrade, it comes in $200 LESS than the JVC, to sell new X70's.
Paul

The JVC HM200 is now $2495, making it $4 cheaper than the Sony x70 with paid firmware upgrade (assuming it's $500).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1096582-REG/jvc_gy_hm200_gy_hm220_4kcam_streaming_camcorder.html
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2015, 07:41 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
The JVC HM200 is now $2495, making it $4 cheaper than the Sony x70 with paid firmware upgrade (assuming it's $500).

JVC GY-HM200 4KCAM Compact Handheld Camcorder GY-HM200 B&H Photo
yes but that's another handycam. the galaxy cell phone shoots great 4K and it's WAY easier to handle. So as another handycam makes more sense than both the hm200 and x70. For a real video camera work then there are the shoulder mount ones (as it should be)

In the end it will be a real shoulder , a cell phone for fun and handy things and a gh4 or red/arri for movies (with a script, actors, a crew, a director). those handy-gadgets and all the frankenrigs will soon be a thing of the (absurd) past.
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2015, 11:28 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Is anyone having this problem? If I record both AVCHD and XAVC onto the same card, FCPX v10.2.0 can only see the AVCHD footage. So if this really is happening, don't record mixed codecs on the same unformatted card!
Old June 8th, 2015, 12:14 AM   #34
Trustee

I just shot one 720 XAVC story, ingested, fed it in to my station, then popped the card out, back into the camera, shot another 720 XAVC story, but when I popped the card back into the Mac, FCP X would only load the PREVIOUS story clips. I ejected the card and reinserted it several times, but could not get the new files to show. Had to shut down FCP X and restart it, then they loaded. Very quirky.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015, 04:13 AM   #35
Trustee

I just noticed the header on this thread says Frimware.....hehe. :-)

Paul
Old June 8th, 2015, 07:09 PM   #36
Regular Crew

I had real problems using FCPX 10.2.0 sometimes XAVC could be seen, sometimes not. upgraded to 10.2.1 and working fine. I tried mixed codecs on the same card- AVCHD and XAVC. FCPX 10.2.1 can only 'see' the AVCHD files, the XAVC files appear only as JPEGS and audio. So don't mix codecs , only one type per card.
Old June 8th, 2015, 07:36 PM   #37
Trustee

Finally, with the new firmware and FCP X update, I can shoot the same XAVC-L codec on all my cameras.

XAVC looks SOOOOO much better than AVCHD. Colors pop, everything is crisper. All my footage gets exported out as HDV 720p60 18Mbps, and AVCHD just comes out the other end as mush, soft, fuzzy, colorless. Better quality in, better quality out.

Paul
Old June 9th, 2015, 12:48 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Shot my first wedding with XAVC-L 50mbps at the weekend & used native FCPX ingest. I've not had such unreliable footage since FCP5 & HDV.

I will say though that the footage is gorgeous & you can notice the extra colour depth compared to AVCHD, however....

1) FCPX can only seem to cope with 2 multicam streams of XAVC-L on my iMac (3.4 i7, 24gb, GTX680MX), 3+ streams drops it down to 2-3 fps, so I'm having to use proxy files.

2) Getting occasional 'glitches' (Blocking) on some clips - it's not on the original file, but appears on particular clips at random points at random times in both the FCPX viewer AND THE EXPORTED FILE - I'll have to find a work around (hopefully transcoding to 'optimised' will sort it).

3) Went to export a 'guest messages' extra scene & the video freeze frames both in the timeline & on the exported file - the audio still runs but the video freezes for the rest of that individual clip. tried using an 'transcode to optimised' Pro-Res transcode & the same thing happened. My work around was to export each individual clip as a basic h.264 file & re-import - annoying!

So for me, native XAVC-L in FCPX is not reliable enough & is more hassle than it's worth at the moment because if I need to transcode the footage to Pro-Res for it to work properly in FCPX, I may as well just use Edit-Ready anyway..... damn you Sony & Apple!

Last edited by Paul Hardy; June 9th, 2015 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Image added
Paul Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2015, 06:18 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Tomorrow arrive to me 4K license, after activating (sony web process, I don't know if this be asap) in camera I can send some 4K footage from X70.
Zenes Petrusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2015, 07:41 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post
So like, I can be doing a live shot of a huge news story, but the only recordings possible would be on my stations end in 1Mbps partially freezing streaming codec? nice going Sony, you really outdid yourself.

I am done with the X70, think I will replace it with a WORKING JVC HM200 that can live stream while recording, has ingestable XAVC, and manual control rings and switches. :-|

Paul
Do you think recording to external recorder (no internal recording) while streaming is possible?
Mike McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2015, 08:34 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Paul,
What sort of drive are you working from for your editing? I'm just thinking that maybe that is a performance bottleneck and not necessarily the CPU, or the footage itself?
Mike Buckhout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2015, 09:36 AM   #42
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Buckhout View Post
Paul,
What sort of drive are you working from for your editing? I'm just thinking that maybe that is a performance bottleneck and not necessarily the CPU, or the footage itself?
It's a G-Tech Raid Thunderbolt drive, Black Magic speed test has it at 115MB/s

The Multicam fps I can deal with by using Proxy - that's not a big deal & half to be expected, however I'm more worried by the glitches on export with native XAVC-L (fixed by transcoding to Pro-Res) & the clips 'freeze framing' - both of these are with a single stream of 50Mbps video, which IIRC is only 6MBps giving me 100+MBps headroom
Paul Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 06:54 PM   #43
Trustee

WTH do I get this CBKZ-X70FX 4K option? It's like Sony doesn't want us to find it. A few posts up, someone else already ordered it.

I only want it because I can't have it. :(

Paul
Old June 11th, 2015, 08:01 AM   #44
Contributor

The most disappointing thing for me is that Sony haven't fixed their wacky colours. Paul's excellent settings sort of patch over the problems but I have an RX10 and an FS700 that perform much better out of the box. Come on Sony - how could you get it so wrong? The lack of a log profile and charging a 25% premium for a 4k " key" seems ridiculous esp as they are still protecting their premium products by limiting the data rate to 60Mbs which is lower than than the new fdr-ax100 data ratemb
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 06:00 AM   #45
Go Cycle

I must be blind. I located the USA 2.0 but where the heck is the purchase area for the 4K unlock code?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds