4K ClearImage and digital zoom at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old September 8th, 2015, 07:07 PM   #1
Trustee

4K ClearImage and digital zoom

For anyone interested, the 24x ClearImage zoom as well as the 16x (15x on top of the 12x optical, confusing) digital zoom DO function normally in 4K mode. The 2x digital extender DOES NOT. If you set the camera to digital zoom mode, you will get ClearImage, then digital zoom when that 24x is exhausted. The VF indicator will change from C2.0 to like D3.7 whatever, indicating which zoom you are currently using.

I was always under the impresion the camera would only allow limited Ci zoom like on the AX100, but i was mistaken. Enjoying playing around with the camera at 33db gain and I have to say, the digital zoom looks noticably better (in testing) than Ci does in 720p60 mode. i will just shoot in 4K and export my normal 720p60. The new FCP-X 10.2.2 update not only allows ingesting X70 4K, but fixed the problem where my FCPX would export still frames if you put 30p on a 60p timeline.

Yay, 4K news video! :D

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2015, 06:45 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 4K ClearImage and digital zoom

My only concern as stated in the other thread is the bitrate of the X70's 4K. 60mbps will not hold up to strobing police lights. The image is guaranteed to break up.

If you remain with static shots, it's passable, but strobe lights, rapid pans are where the weakness of the 60mbps really show, and this is a paid upgrade to have inferior recording quality than the consumer camera, the FDR-AX100!
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2015, 08:29 AM   #3
Trustee

Re: 4K ClearImage and digital zoom

I find the picture clarity, as well as the dark color levels on 4K to be superior in every respect for out fo camera footage. The ClerarImage zoom in 4K mode looks 100x better than the Clearimage zoom in HD mode, and I only have a 1440x900 screen to view the differences on!

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds