DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/)
-   -   PXW-Z150 first impressions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/531673-pxw-z150-first-impressions.html)

Paul Anderegg April 20th, 2016 04:04 PM

PXW-Z150 first impressions

It weighs twice as much as my X70. It is a tad front heavy when not using the F970 batteries, and it should be noted this camera is fine with aftermarket non chipped batteries. The focus mechanism is not like the X70, you can actually rack focus when zoomed in. Low light performance and sensitivity is identical to the X70, but with a slight reduction in apparent noise at each gain setting. Green/yellow color cast is not visible on the LCD, which I hope means they fixed the weird "off" green cast that has plagued my X70. Color correction values for the X70 seem to be compatible with the Z150, assuming you are not trying to transfer over any alterations that were meant to fix the green cast, which seems to be gone. Otherwise, everything is identical to the X70 if you judge it by the LCD and menu structure.

There is a menu item for "wide conversion lens". I don't know what that does, but it gives me hope there will be an OEM bayonet wide converter for this camera sometime in the near future....which for Sony means within 2 years.

Camera is going into service tonight, so I will begin posting clips and on air links shot in 1080p60 overnight.

Paul

Paul Anderegg April 20th, 2016 04:42 PM

Re: PXW-Z150 first impressions

The manual says that the wide conversion setting is for "compatible lenses only", "sold separately". Since Sony doesn't provide electronic lens compatibility with non Sony lenses, we can expect a Sony converter option I presume. :-)

Paul

Paul Anderegg April 20th, 2016 06:14 PM

A few more notes......

The lens is NOT f2.8-4.5 as listed by Sony. At full zoom, the camera is showing f4.0, just as on the X70.

Also, live streaming is available in XAVC, XDCAM, and AVCHD codecs. The X70 could not live stream while set to AVCHD.

ALL custom assignable buttons cease to function when you are in live streaming mode, you cannot access menu either, just like the X70. PITA that I cannot switch Steadyshot on and off if I am live streaming.

Paul

Paul Anderegg April 20th, 2016 09:14 PM

Ran into the first firmware "glitch". When AGC limit is set to OFF, it in actuality sets the AGC limit to 27db instead of allowing full 33db. This glitch also exists in the v2.0 firmware of the X70, but ONLY when in 4K mode. Obviously, someone copied and pasted this when writing the Z10 firmware. Would be nice if Sony addressed this in the v3.0 X70 firmware as well as the next Z150 firmware updates.

Paul

Mark Watson April 21st, 2016 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg (Post 1913064)
The manual says that the wide conversion setting is for "compatible lenses only", "sold separately". Since Sony doesn't provide electronic lens compatibility with non Sony lenses, we can expect a Sony converter option I presume. :-)

Paul

Might be something like what is on the Canon XF300/305, which has a similar menu item. They came out with the WA-H82 wide-angle adapter that screws onto the fixed lens. Setting the Wide Attach. Lens option to ON in the menu does two things; it limits you to normal AF (no instant AF) and it adjusts the image stabilization to suit the wide attachment.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/684206-REG/Canon_4591B001_WA_H82_0_8x_Wide_Attachment.html

Mark

Paul Anderegg April 21st, 2016 06:45 AM

The lack of bayonet mount wide converters for the X70, X180, and X200 has always irritated me. In fast paced breaking news, I can't afford to spend a full minute trying to line up threads and such to get the converter on!

Paul

Sverrir Fridriksson April 21st, 2016 06:57 AM

I'm really excited to see more test footage out of this camera. It's a bit over my budget but I have been looking at gear like the NX100 and haven't seen anything that really impresses me. a killer cam might just have me throwing some extra cash on it. Also looks like I can use the same batteries as I have on my V1e.
I'd really like to have a see some HD footage (not downscaled 4K) as I don't see me using 4K in any of my work for the next 1-2 years. Nice to be future proofed in some way, though.

Mark Watson April 21st, 2016 07:31 AM

Not to mention you would need to remove the lens hood first... another 30 seconds gone. Could be worse, could be the WA will introduce a magenta cast... (sorry).

Mark

Paul Anderegg April 21st, 2016 07:51 AM

The magenta cast would cancel out the green CMOS cast. :-P

Don't wait for any test footage, there is absolutely no point, just look at any X70 footage and that is what this camera does. I will most likely return it though, as it is ergonomically not well suited for handheld use with my farsightedness. Also, I cannot adjust the exposure and adjust focus at the same time, the controls are too far apart and placed badly for me. Sony also had the bright idea to not match the button placement to the LCD indicators for iris, gain, and shutter etc.

Anyway, the ONLY thing I like about this camera is the focus is quicker when at full telephoto than the X70, but everything else about it i am not happy with. Obviously, these opinions do not matter when used on a tripod in the day, which it would be wonderful for, and the controls would be amazing. I only ever adjust GAIN. I have an iris ring, adn a zoom ring that I wish to gosh I could set for gain or AE shift. I shoot 100% handheld with these cameras, I already have a proper shoulder ENG camera with 100 watt spotlight for tripod work. :(

If you have any questiosn regarding the operation or limitatiosn of this camera, or any specific aspect of it, please feeel free to ask and i will make sure you are "in the know". :-)

Paul

Ron Evans April 21st, 2016 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sverrir Fridriksson (Post 1913087)
I'm really excited to see more test footage out of this camera. It's a bit over my budget but I have been looking at gear like the NX100 and haven't seen anything that really impresses me. a killer cam might just have me throwing some extra cash on it. Also looks like I can use the same batteries as I have on my V1e.
I'd really like to have a see some HD footage (not downscaled 4K) as I don't see me using 4K in any of my work for the next 1-2 years. Nice to be future proofed in some way, though.

If you do not want UHD then the CX900 at less than 1/3 the cost may give you almost the same picture, especially if you are not going to play around with scene files etc. Also has touch focus and nice wheel for controlling AE shift etc. Or get the AX100 which give you the future proofing of UHD but still with all these cameras only at 30P. As Paul as mentioned the X70 will give you all the Pro controls you may want too. The core of these cameras ( CX900, AX100, X70, Z100 are likely the same) with the Z150 having a new sensor but likely the rest is the same. X70 and Z100, Z150 use mxf wrapper and have time code while the CX900 and AX100 are mov wrapper with no timecode. However the latest AX53 does have time code and data code in XAVC-S mov wrapper so that is possible. If you want to try the 1" Sony cameras the CX900 is the lowest cost and about the same price as the AX53 ( which has UHD 30P ) As to batteries these new Sony's require the NP-F V series batteries not the older NP-FH batteries. They will give an error message if you try and use an older battery.

Ron Evans

Jim Stamos April 21st, 2016 10:52 AM

Great points Ron.
I'm ordering the AX53.
Still on the fence between the 150 and FS5,one of which will be my main cam,although I'll keep my reliable ex.
Was good to find out at nab sonys software upgrade for the18 105 focus issues

Ron Evans April 21st, 2016 12:20 PM

Easy choice. The FS5 is a much better camera with interchangeable lenses and option of RAW out to get UHD 60P . But at some cost !!! The Z150 is a x70 basically in a different form factor with a new sensor. If you are going to keep your EX1 I don't think there is a need to hurry. Wait and see what Sony does about competing with the DVX200 and the AG-UX180 if you do not want interchangeable lenses. If Sony do nothing then either of the DVX200 or AG-UX180 would be a much better choice than the Z150. Just my opinion.

Ron Evans

Jeff Beardall April 21st, 2016 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg (Post 1913062)
It weighs twice as much as my X70. It is a tad front heavy when not using the F970 batteries, and it should be noted this camera is fine with aftermarket non chipped batteries. The focus mechanism is not like the X70, you can actually rack focus when zoomed in. Low light performance and sensitivity is identical to the X70, but with a slight reduction in apparent noise at each gain setting. Green/yellow color cast is not visible on the LCD, which I hope means they fixed the weird "off" green cast that has plagued my X70. Color correction values for the X70 seem to be compatible with the Z150, assuming you are not trying to transfer over any alterations that were meant to fix the green cast, which seems to be gone. Otherwise, everything is identical to the X70 if you judge it by the LCD and menu structure.

There is a menu item for "wide conversion lens". I don't know what that does, but it gives me hope there will be an OEM bayonet wide converter for this camera sometime in the near future....which for Sony means within 2 years.

Camera is going into service tonight, so I will begin posting clips and on air links shot in 1080p60 overnight.

Paul

Paul...thanks for the short review...I'm very interested in knowing how the rolling shutter at UHD is compared to the X70. Keep up the good work ; )

Paul Anderegg April 21st, 2016 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans (Post 1913111)
Easy choice. The FS5 is a much better camera with interchangeable lenses and option of RAW out to get UHD 60P . But at some cost !!! The Z150 is a x70 basically in a different form factor with a new sensor. If you are going to keep your EX1 I don't think there is a need to hurry. Wait and see what Sony does about competing with the DVX200 and the AG-UX180 if you do not want interchangeable lenses. If Sony do nothing then either of the DVX200 or AG-UX180 would be a much better choice than the Z150. Just my opinion.

Ron Evans

If I didn't require mpegts streaming, and low light capability, the other brand UHD 60p cameras would be a better choice. And the sensor in the Z150 is the same as the X70, the processor has been relocated to make it speedier, but it really doesn't look any different and is 100% not more sensitive than the X70

Paul Anderegg April 22nd, 2016 03:13 AM

So, here is some 4K footage from my Z150. It looks identical to footage shot with my X70, no difference whatsoever. However, it is much much better at being operated on a tripod, by an order of magnitude! I hated trying to use the X70 on a tripod, but the Z150 is just big enough, and the controls are just right, for tripod operation.

Unfortunately, I have a camera that is better than the Z150 for tripod use, so I am still suck with a turd of a handheld device. Reverted to my X70 last night for all my live shots.

Footage below shot in 4K, black gamma high +7, detail +7. I was playing with the gamma and forgot to set it back to a much lower level. The detail boost is because the 4k clips are downrezzed to 720p, so I need the baked in sharpening to prevent blurring.

Paul

James R. Wilson Sr. April 25th, 2016 07:19 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Normally I wouldn't take a new camera out of the box, charge the batteries and immediately put it to work, but I went out on a limb with this new camera and I'm very glad I did. The menu is very similar to my X-70 and my FS/7, the form factor and general control placement felt good so I decided to roll the dice.

My experience in this industry pales in comparison to most of you here so it is no try intent to contradict anyone, but I love this camera so far. I'm digging into the footage from my first assignment with it and will have some clips for you to look at in a day or two. The shoot was challenging, as always, with lots of moving parts and changing light. The Z-150 performed wonderfully, and I'm pleased that I made the investment. I have a mint X-70 with a Samaurai Blade and extra batteries for sale.

Here are some stills to set the stage.....

Paul Anderegg April 25th, 2016 08:06 AM

I am finding the Z150 to be much better at doing my active live shots, particularly the iris ring, that makes such a difference!

Paul

James R. Wilson Sr. April 25th, 2016 08:53 AM

I agree Paul, the layout is much more professional!

Paul Anderegg April 26th, 2016 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sverrir Fridriksson (Post 1913087)

Here is some 1080p footage for you, shot in 1080p XAVC 50Mbps. Looks just as bland and lifeless as X70 footage in the dark. Every clip out of this camera is identical to my eyes to an X70......I cannot stress that enough.

Paul

Color corrected

Jim Stamos April 26th, 2016 09:29 AM

Pictures are the same but coming from an ex with a true focus,iris ring,that's crucial for me and worth the extra 600.00
I shoot totally manual and the focusing and little iris knob on the 70 don't cut it,especially the infinite turning ring.
I'll probably get the 150,still pondering the fs5 now that they have a fix for that 18 105 lens issue.

Sverrir Fridriksson April 26th, 2016 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg (Post 1913403)
Here is some 1080p footage for you, shot in 1080p XAVC 50Mbps. Looks just as bland and lifeless as X70 footage in the dark. Every clip out of this camera is identical to my eyes to an X70......I cannot stress that enough.

Thank you for this!

John Nantz April 26th, 2016 11:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
With regard to the “infinite turning ring”, a possible solution might be something like the Focus-One from Edelkrone:
Home: https://www.edelkrone.com/eu/
Focus-One: https://www.edelkrone.com/eu/p/504/focus-one

It has a set of lines that can be matched up and if it’s setup so that they’re lined up when the lens is on Infinity then one would be good to go with the infinity focus.

Frederic Berger April 26th, 2016 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Stamos (Post 1913419)
Pictures are the same but coming from an ex with a true focus,iris ring,that's crucial for me and worth the extra 600.00
I shoot totally manual and the focusing and little iris knob on the 70 don't cut it,especially the infinite turning ring.
I'll probably get the 150,still pondering the fs5 now that they have a fix for that 18 105 lens issue.

I am curious how you came up with the $600 difference, is it between the Z150 ($3,200) and X70 ($2,250 with 4k option)?

Paul Anderegg April 26th, 2016 07:36 PM

The Z150 is infinite turning as well, but the telephoto infiniti to macro turns are only about 1/4 now, not several full rotations liek the X70.......MUCH improved there!!!

Paul

Jim Stamos April 26th, 2016 09:17 PM

when i handled it at nab paul, it seemed like my ex, i zoomed in and focussed quickly didnt turn it much at all. the x70 def isnt like that.
on the 600.00, i thought the x70 was 2,000 plus 500 for the 4k upgrade. so actually 700.00 difference.
either way, id get the 150 cuz of the lens setup, thats what im used to, and that difference in money will easily be made up on one job for me.

Paul Anderegg April 26th, 2016 10:58 PM

The X70 is not "tripod friendly" AT ALL......in fact, it is quite a PITA to adjust things on a pod, with that LCD tilted things get blocked.

Paul

James R. Wilson Sr. April 28th, 2016 05:14 PM

Finally getting some time to look through my Z150 clips from my air to air mission last week. The camera performed remarkably well in the low light at the end of the shoot and the color and quality of the footage straight out of the camera seem very pleasing. I don't use auto focus much, but for this shoot I used it throughout, never it lose track for even a split second. Much as I like my X-70, I couldn't rely on the focus tracking, especially as the light dropped off, not terrible, but noticeable. The Z-150 followed my acrobatic subject wherever he went, and tracked the biz jet perfectly for 40 minutes.

The following day I was with The Blue Angels and I found the same reliability. By the time the sun had set on my first day with the Z-150, it had paid for itself.

Paul Anderegg April 28th, 2016 05:45 PM

The more I use the Z150, the more I like it. Really gotten used to the controls, so my "active" exposure transitions in night ENG situations and really improved my video quality.......no more popping gain ups and down all the time, and no more wobbling camera as I focus at full telephoto!

I also NAILED some new custom color correction PP4 settings, for the ones posted a long time ago for the X70. I now have alterations that allow me TRUE direct from camera color correct footage, unlike my X70, which always required a bit of massaging. The changes were color 1 modification +5 instead of +7 for phase, and master phase +1. Last setting change was white balance off-set for +1 R. With those, everything just looks right, and no more greenish tint/hue. I am also running black gamma LOW +7 and master black at -1. This works amazingly well for low light where you need to see shadows next to a brightly lit subject, or keep the background from turning superblack while shooting a talking head with a camera light. Black gamma HIGH + 7 really is very bad for low light ENG work, especially with the lack of highlight handling of this sensor. May work well in the day, but not at high gain at night.

Paul

Paul Anderegg April 30th, 2016 08:02 PM

Something to note, the top handle zoom rocker is of a fixed speed variety, there is no variability with pressure application. Also no top record button lock switch.

Menu note, the sound menu ncludes an on/off limiter, and a -/+ offset for level for each channel.

Paul

Paul Anderegg May 2nd, 2016 06:45 AM

Here is some more night ENG Z150 4K footage.......this time, the detail was left at default of 0, instead of maximum!

Paul Anderegg May 2nd, 2016 06:55 PM

Here is a copy of the Z150 user manual, in English, from the CD. If you need an alternate language, please let me know.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...int=file%2cpdf

Jack Zhang May 2nd, 2016 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg (Post 1913795)
Here is a copy of the Z150 user manual, in English, from the CD. If you need an alternate language, please let me know.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...int=file%2cpdf

Private link. Requires a OneDrive login.

Antony Tsioukas May 3rd, 2016 12:08 AM

Paul thanks for the manual, will be useful for a lot of people to decide about this model.

I think that for persons that they need to read manual before buy, English is enough. Personally I always read manuals in English (otherwise I don't understand the terms ;) )

Ron Evans May 3rd, 2016 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang (Post 1913810)
Private link. Requires a OneDrive login.

Worked fine for me.

Thanks

Ron Evans

Andy B. Turner May 3rd, 2016 04:44 PM

Paul, are you keeping the z150? If you had to choose the z150 or the x180 for event /conferences which would you choose?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg (Post 1913092)

Don't wait for any test footage, there is absolutely no point, just look at any X70 footage and that is what this camera does. I will most likely return it though, as it is ergonomically not well suited for handheld use with my farsightedness.

Paul

Paul Anderegg May 3rd, 2016 04:55 PM

Yes, keeping the Z150 100%........I have "adjusted" to the controls now, and find myself much more proficient at adjusting exposure while rolling than my X70. The X70 is staying on board, as my grab from the seat OMG a plane is crashing in front of my camera solution. :-)

A Z150 story I shot, the one I posted some RAW 4K clips, has already gotten like 5 million Facebook hits in a day, so obviously, the viewing public has given the camera the thumbs up! :-D

https://www.facebook.com/ABC10News/v...6167322759082/

Jim Stamos May 3rd, 2016 10:07 PM

Paul I loved handling the 150 at nab.my main thing was to see how easy I could focus,plus the iris ring was very smooth.coming from an ex1r,that was important for me to make the switch.I plan on renting it first and put it through some real shoots.3200.00 is a steal considering what u get.I'll make that back on one wedding.

Antony Tsioukas May 4th, 2016 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg (Post 1913868)
... the one I posted some RAW 4K clips...

Paul, you mean the videos that you posted in YouTube, not the RAW recorded files.

But if you have space on OneDrive it will be interesting to see some small records (few seconds) in these formats, XAVC Long (4:2:0/ 8bit 100 Mbps) & HD XAVC Long (4:2:2/ 10bit 50 Mbps) to see real records because in YouTube you can understand only the color and light performance.

I am keep reading the manual, for now I don't like 2 things that I found.

First on Streaming mode, it disables Simulations and Relay Recording (with some other minor features). So for long events if you want to stream it on internet will be problem. I am not sure if the same happens also when “Content Browser Mobile” used in mobile.

The second thing that I didn't understand, maybe Paul you can help me on that, is if SDI and HDMI can output signal at the same time (of course with same resolution). I am not sure about it.

Paul Anderegg May 4th, 2016 03:07 AM

SDI OR HDMI, never both at the same time. Also, you loose every custom button when streaming mode is enabled.....that means no Steadyshot on/off, no push to set white balance, no punch in focus assist, basically, all those side buttons stop functioning, just like the X70.

Paul

Jack Zhang May 8th, 2016 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans (Post 1913822)
Worked fine for me.

Thanks

Ron Evans

I think the permissions changed right after I said it was private.