Sony Z-150 In The Air at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old May 20th, 2016, 07:19 AM   #1
Photographer

Sony Z-150 In The Air

My Sony Z-150 was two hours out of the box when I loaded it up for this assignment. I could not be more pleased with this new camera!

Old May 20th, 2016, 03:09 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Sony Z-150 In The Air

Jim: Nice video work, for sure. What are you using for stabilization, if anything, other than in post? Any gimbals, etc.? I have both the X-70 and the Z-150, but I am inclined to think that it might be easier to accomplish in flight video with the 70 due to space constraints. Thoughts?

Lastly, is all of your in-cockpit video done with the door removed (and rear seat), I suspect? Otherwise, glare/distortion from the windows would understandably be a problem, but I wondered what your experiences have been.
Bob Searl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2016, 03:52 PM   #3
Photographer

Hi Bob,

Thank you! Yes, unless I'm shooting with the military and have to be under a canopy, I always shoot wide open. B25 Bomber with the tail cone removed, Bonanza/Baron with the baggage doors off, or the C-130 from a lowered deck. I shoot air to air with the FS/7 and the Z-150. I'm on the fence about purchasing an F-55.

Stabilization is by one of a number of Kenyon gyro units, all three axis. I'm having a stabilization rig built that utilizes two 3 axis Kenyon 8x8 units. I'm a Kenyon distributor. That rig will stabilize the FS/7 and the F-55 which end up in the neighborhood of 16 pounds. No stabilization in post, if it's not smooth going in, it won't work for what I do.

Last edited by James R. Wilson Sr.; May 20th, 2016 at 03:54 PM. Reason: spelling
James R. Wilson Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2016, 08:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi again Jim: Thanks for the info. I thought that might be the case based on the good quality of work that you do. I also recognized the Beech cabin. I have a lot of time in their products in the past ten years, but to be honest, never in one with the doors off! My hat is off to you!
Regards,
Bob
Bob Searl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2016, 10:24 AM   #5
Photographer

Thank you Bob. This all started when a long time client and friend of mine asked me if I would consider producing a series of films for his companies and aviation enterprises. I respectfully declined on the basis that my field of expertise is still photography, but my client smiled and asked me if I wouldn't consider the possibility. That launched me on a two year quest to get my video work to the level of my still photography, a daunting task, but I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for your appreciation of my work!

Sincerely,

JW
Old June 3rd, 2016, 05:27 PM   #6
Photographer

A short film that I put together after one of our friends lost his life yesterday in a Blue Angels practice session. All captured a few weeks ago with the Z-150

Old June 5th, 2016, 08:13 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Sorry for the loss of your friend. As you well know flying can be an unforgiving passion. This poem by John Magee seems to sum up the powerful draw of flight.

"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth of sun-split clouds -
and done a hundred things You have not dreamed of -
wheeled and soared and swung high in the sunlit silence.
Hovering there I've chased the shouting wind along
and flung my eager craft through footless halls of air.
"Up, up the long delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace,
where never lark, or even eagle, flew;
and, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
the high untrespassed sanctity of space,
put out my hand and touched the face of God."

John Gillespie Magee, Jr. 1941

John M
John Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2016, 10:49 PM   #8
Photographer

Thank you John, and how right you are. Preliminary investigation of the accident indicates Captain Kuss chose to remain with his Hornet because punching out would have caused more casualties on the ground. My video has over 5400 loads in just a couple of days, as far away as The Sudan, amazing times in which we live.

Here's a slightly edited version:

Last edited by James R. Wilson Sr.; June 6th, 2016 at 07:57 AM. Reason: minor editing
James R. Wilson Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 01:12 AM   #9
Inner Circle

A very nice tribute James, that z-150 produces some excellent pictures. You might want to check at 02:08 because in the transition from one clip to the next there is lost frame that shouldn't be there.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 07:56 AM   #10
Photographer

Dear Noa,

Thanks! I saw that, but thought the clip was still rendering and it would smooth out. I appreciate you giving me a heads up. I tell all of my friends in still photography, the complexities in video are endless in comparison.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds